Poll

45 LC Recommendation for Newbie with little to no modifications and least amount of historical manufacturer issue (i.e. cycling)?

Cimarron 1873 Sporting Rifle with 24" barrel
3 (11.5%)
Cimarron 1873  with 20" barrel
5 (19.2%)
Winchester 1873 Carbine with 20" barrel
10 (38.5%)
Marlin 94 with JM stamped 20" barrel
7 (26.9%)
Taylors & Co. 204 "1873 Style" with 20" Barrel
1 (3.8%)
Henry Big Boy Brass with 20" Barrel
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 26

Author Topic: Rifle Recommendation in 45LC  (Read 7199 times)

Offline Reverend P. Babcock Chase

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Rifle Recommendation in 45LC
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2021, 09:49:15 AM »
Ditto + to what Coffinmaker said

Rev. Chase

Offline ira scott

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • AKA: Broken Nose Scotty
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 59
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2021, 11:21:19 AM »
Happy Saturday back at ya Coffinmaker!  I'm so sorry that you are irritated by such a small thing as someone using firearm terminology that is offensive to some (you) and accepted by others.  There seem's to be plenty of things to be irritated by in today's world without sweating the small sh#t.  I personally don't use the term Long Colt but if someone does I don't feel the need to correct them .   

FYI:  Del Warren is the proprietor of James Country Mercantile in Liberty MO,  a business specializing in Old West and Civil War clothing and accouterments, he has been in the game a LONG time. Not a famous writer,  whose opinions you don't value anyway.     

With all due respect,  Coffinmaker Sir!

B.N.Scotty

It is far better to remain silent, and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt!

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2021, 12:24:14 PM »
I will just call it a 45.  If someone wants to know which I am talking about, they look to see if the gun has a slide or a cylinder.  :D

As an aside relating to names, this morning the crossword puzzle had the clue: "Revolver, in old slang".  I'm thinking Sixgun?  But it turned out to be Roscoe.  :)

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 03:53:56 PM »

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 11754
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 189
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2021, 01:46:29 PM »
Coffinmaker, How about a .45 Just Right Colt? Must be referring to the ACP.
"Give'em hell, Pike"
 There is no horse so dead that you cannot continue to beat it.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2021, 09:47:50 AM »

:)  Well . .  Golly Ira   ;)

I must admit, I do get annoyed with the miss-application of terminology when applied to firearms.  As such, the term "Clone" for Single Action Replicas is like fingernails down a blackboard.  Modern made replicants are NOT perfect "clones" and that includes modern manufactured Colt.

I also admit, I do try to provide correct information.  What any individual does with that information, once provided is entirely up to them.  I don't harp on them.  I have also been in many "gun shops" and providers of militaria to find the proprietors of same were as much PARROTS as others at repeating miss-information.  Often, we all are guilty of equating "Fame" to "Knowledge."  There have been many times in my sordid past, I didn't have the slightest bit of knowledge about something and was most willing and compelled to state same.  Never been one to blow smoke up yer skirt.  If I have offended by questioning your heroes, oh well.  Here's another.  There were no "Jeeps" prevalent in the old west to help "good guys" catch bad guys.  No matter what Roy Rogers portrayed, didn't happen.  OOPSies.

Stay Safe Out There

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2021, 10:20:45 AM »

:)  Well .... Heck   ;)

Now that we have hammered .45 Colt into a Two by Four infiniteum (sp) . . . .

Howz about we get back to the OP and his request for help selecting a CAS rifle in 45 Colt??  And at this point I go back to my original suggestion of a Miroku Winchester '73 for the very least amount of post purchase attention.

If, however, one wants to go really fast, a Uberti built '73 has a massive amount of after-market "speed" parts available.  Gobs in fact.

Stay Safe Out There

Offline ira scott

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2021, 10:54:22 AM »
Maybe not a consideration for the O.P., but the Miroku/Winchester 1873 is disapproved for NCOWS.  Sad, because they are beautifully made rifles!

Coffinmaker,  I'm not too hurt by the fact you don't choose to believe the same sources as I do. Your comments about repeating miss-information  reminds me of the saying  "History is Fables Repeated". 

B.N.Scotty
It is far better to remain silent, and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt!

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 463
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2021, 11:40:37 AM »
The Marlin is your darlin'!
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline Ranch 13

• Top Active Citizen
    • Historic Shooting.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2021, 11:48:12 AM »
Maybe not a consideration for the O.P., but the Miroku/Winchester 1873 is disapproved for NCOWS.  Sad, because they are beautifully made rifles!

Coffinmaker,  I'm not too hurt by the fact you don't choose to believe the same sources as I do. Your comments about repeating miss-information  reminds me of the saying  "History is Fables Repeated". 

B.N.Scotty

Seems like a bit of silliness from what ever an ncows is, but I don't recall the question being anything other than a recommendation on a 45 colt rifle..
 Something if you really want to get historically correct about, a 45 colt chambered rifle never happened as a mass produced item until the 1980's...
Eat more beef the west wasn't won on a salad.

Offline ira scott

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2021, 01:41:17 PM »
NCOWS is the National Congress of Old West Shootists.  The O.P. did not say if he was contemplating shooting  $A$$ or NCOWS,  didn't want him to spend a pile O money on a rifle just to find out it was disapproved if he goes the NCOWS route.

No .45 colt rifles and no Vaqueros,  but some concessions have to be made to be practical.  Probably didn't see too many people pushing a guncart around in the O.W. either. 

B.N.Scotty

Offline Ranch 13

• Top Active Citizen
    • Historic Shooting.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2021, 02:13:06 PM »
What is it they find objectionable to the Winchester 73's produced in the Miroku plant?

Offline DeaconKC

• Retired Predator Hunter
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 110215
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4667
« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2021, 02:24:07 PM »
NCOWS doesn't allow short stroked 1873 rifles and the more recent Mirokus come from the factory with a shorter stroke than the originals.
SASS DeaconKC
The Deacon AZSA
BOLD 1088
RATS 739
STORM 448
Driver for Howard, Fine & Howard
Veterinary & Taxidermy Clinic
"Either way, you get your dog back"

Offline ira scott

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2021, 02:31:12 PM »
NCOWS doesn't allow short stroked 1873 rifles and the more recent Mirokus come from the factory with a shorter stroke than the originals.

Correct!  Even though it is only a wee bit (technical terminology) shorter, no real advantage in my mind.

I voted to approve the Miroku 1873, but was on the losing end.

B.N.Scotty

Offline Ranch 13

• Top Active Citizen
    • Historic Shooting.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2021, 02:37:13 PM »
Seems odd the "stroke" of a rifle lever would disqualify it, but ammunition loaded with bullets weighing 50 grains less, than the only factory loadings available, and propelled by smokeless to be fine, never mind the non availability of a rifle chambered in 45 colt..
 Strange world we live in.

Offline ira scott

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2021, 03:09:57 PM »
"Strange world we live in",  and getting stranger every day!

B.N.Scotty

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2021, 04:32:58 PM »
Another vote for the Marlin.  Handsome, rugged, dependable, accurate with BP and Plus P loadings, and of all the rifle listed, by far the easiest to clean, and from the breech like all the best designs.  The late Remlins (after 2015) are nice rifles as well.  Sure be interesting to see what Ruger does with them. 

In the .45, avoid Starline brass unless you have an annealer. 
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline Ranch 13

• Top Active Citizen
    • Historic Shooting.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2021, 04:48:16 PM »
It will be interesting to see what this next generation of Marlins are like.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2021, 09:15:38 AM »

:)  Ira . . . et ALL  ;)

I too/also have never understood the NCOWS prohibition of the Miroku replica '73.  Sure, the lever throw is a tad ('nother technical term) shorter than an "Original" '73, the rifle isn't actually "Short Stroked."  It's just the geometry found most effective by the engineers at Miroku.  Much nicer "out of the box" than a Uberti. 

I built competition rifles for 20+ years and the only advantage the Uberti offering has is the mountain of available "Speed" parts.  Had the Miroku been available at the time the Uberti was, I have no doubt there would have been a pile of speed parts for it as well.

I too await the next iteration of Marlins will be like.  Marlin can be fine rifles indeed.  It's a shame what happened to their quite over the last 10 or so years.  Cross our fingers.

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 360
« Reply #38 on: February 15, 2021, 12:13:52 PM »
Seems like a bit of silliness from what ever an ncows is, but I don't recall the question being anything other than a recommendation on a 45 colt rifle..
 Something if you really want to get historically correct about, a 45 colt chambered rifle never happened as a mass produced item until the 1980's...

Not silly at all if you understand the reasoning. If you allow a gun with a factory shorter stroke just because it says Winchester on it you open up a whole big can of worms. Would have to allow the Beretta Renegade. Why because they are factory instead of aftermarket installed by a user or gunsmith? We already have all kinds of alterations available from the various importers of "guns that never were" and if you don't draw the line pretty darn clear in the sand you wind up ruining the whole intention of the discipline which is to provide a shooting experience closely mimicking what people would have experienced in the real cowboy era. The recoil and shooting experience between 45 colt and 44-40 isn't going to be noticable. and the recoil between 38 special and 32-20 isn't either. You have to allow what people can get factory ammo for and reload comfortable to have the discipline at all so your comment about caliber has no bearing on the reasoning for not allowing the short stroked Miroku 1873.

As a perfect example look at the apparent crap show that went on with PRS last fall. PRS with the factory rifle category where they had just the price point of 2500 dollar limit on a factory rifle. All of a sudden now GAP and MPA offer a precision custom rifle at a price of 2499 that will shoot side by side with any 5 or 6 thousand dollar custom built rifle. While it worked out great allowing people to get essentially custom rifle for a great price it completely makes a mockery out of the production rifle class. They might as well not even have the category now.

Know what you are talking about before talking down on something and what the user plans to do with the rifle has a bearing on the recommendation.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #39 on: July 05, 2021, 05:06:45 AM »
Anybody else notice the OP
JGard2010 has just two posts Feb 10 and Feb 11 ( this poll )

and after 37 replies of semantics and or terminology  , NCOWS approved/unapproved, suggest optional calibers, manufactures versions & merits  , mention of a Clothing supplier , short strokes Etc.
all in 4 short days in February.....

My question(s)   where did he go and what did he choose  ???  , my guess   since he has NOT been active since February 14. this poll and entire thread went unheeded ....

when planets align...do the deal !

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com