Author Topic: Most efficient lube-size system?  (Read 3260 times)

Offline Little Dalton

• Top Active Citizen
  • -ad regem-
    • Axe & Anvil
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 76
Most efficient lube-size system?
« on: September 03, 2022, 01:46:29 PM »
Probably a can of worms, but I’m looking for recommendations on the best lubing and sizing system for pistol bullets lubed with soft black powder lube. I’ve been using my dad’s very old and worn Lyman 450, and while I replaced all the seals, it is annoying to use. Even with incredibly soft lube, I have to stroke the bullet up and down a couple times to get the boolit fully lubed- and then it leaks lube under the base of the boolit making a big mess.  I don’t mind the slowness of the 450, just wish it did a better job on the lubing. I wouldn’t mind a push-through system if I could rig it up to fill tubes for my Lee Loadmaster boolit feeder. Don’t really want to pop the boolits into a pile or jar, as I don’t want to mess up the soft lube. Anyways, curious as to what methods others use that are a mix of fast, effective, and clean-ish.
Jordan Goodwin, Blacksmith

Offline Froogal

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3882
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 573
Re: Most efficient lube-size system?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2022, 02:14:58 PM »
I have an RCBS. I don't shoot black powder, but I lube ALL of my bullets with SPG lube. I am happy with it but then I've never owned or used anything else.

Offline mtmarfield

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1637
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2022, 02:15:26 PM »
      Greetings!

I have Dad's and Gdad's Lyman Luber/Sizers, and they can be messy, but properly adjusted, they work well. If You have to move your cast bullet up & down to fill all of the lube grooves, I would pull out the sizing die and check to see if any of the feed holes are plugged with old hard lube. If so, clean out the die, and try again.
   Keep Us Posted!

M.T.M.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:59:34 PM »

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2022, 05:35:06 PM »

:)  Well  ;)

I have the most effective and efficient lubing system ever devised.  It's called an iPhone.  I simply pick it up and call in an order for bullets from Springfield Slim  ::)

I realize this probably doesn't really hep the OP, but Hey!!  It's Saturday, after a three hour drive (each way) to shoot a Match and I'm really tired.  So There! 8)

Offline Froogal

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2022, 08:51:21 AM »
:)  Well  ;)

I have the most effective and efficient lubing system ever devised.  It's called an iPhone.  I simply pick it up and call in an order for bullets from Springfield Slim  ::)

I realize this probably doesn't really hep the OP, but Hey!!  It's Saturday, after a three hour drive (each way) to shoot a Match and I'm really tired.  So There! 8)

Buying the bullets ready to go is usually less costly than buying the lead and doing it yourself, but then I wouldn't have anything to occupy my time.

Offline Roosterman

• Top Active Citizen
    • Muzzleloading guns
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 96
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2022, 03:16:48 PM »
I'm a pan luber. easy peasy
www.fowlingguns.com
Known to run with scissors from time to time
Citadel of Sin Social Club

Offline Froogal

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2022, 07:47:38 AM »
I'm a pan luber. easy peasy

I tried the pan lubing thing. Never could get it to be 100%. Some bullets came out just perfect, but quite a few came out with NO lube on them. Gave it several tries with differing techniques but pretty much the same results, so I bought the RCBS lubri-sizer.

Offline Lucky R. K.

• Purveyor of Fire & Brimstone
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2022, 08:15:41 AM »

Little Dalton, you might also check to see that , on the downstroke, the bullet goes down far enough that lower lube holes are letting lube get to the bullet.
Lucky  ;D
Greene County Regulators       Life NRA             SCORRS
High Country Cowboys            SASS #79366
Gunpowder Creek Regulators   Dirty RATS #568

The Wind is Your Friend

Offline Roosterman

• Top Active Citizen
    • Muzzleloading guns
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 96
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2022, 08:44:08 AM »
I tried the pan lubing thing. Never could get it to be 100%. Some bullets came out just perfect, but quite a few came out with NO lube on them. Gave it several tries with differing techniques but pretty much the same results, so I bought the RCBS lubri-sizer.
Pushing the bullets out backwards?
www.fowlingguns.com
Known to run with scissors from time to time
Citadel of Sin Social Club

Offline Froogal

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2022, 09:20:13 AM »
Pushing the bullets out backwards?

Yep!! Pushed them out backwards. Even tried the cookie cutter approach. Same results.

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 634
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2022, 11:36:22 AM »

I wonder if it has to do with the consistency of your lube. I rarely have that problem. I'm glad that the lubri-sizer is working for you.  Using either method, lubing is by far my least favorite part of the loading process. It's the only part that I tend to dread and put off until I'm desperate for bullets...

Griff
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Offline Froogal

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2022, 03:36:33 PM »
I wonder if it has to do with the consistency of your lube. I rarely have that problem. I'm glad that the lubri-sizer is working for you.  Using either method, lubing is by far my least favorite part of the loading process. It's the only part that I tend to dread and put off until I'm desperate for bullets...

Griff

First attempts were with some homemade lube. Beeswax and something else, maybe candle wax? But then I splurged for some SPG. Pretty much the same results when pan lubing, but the SPG works absolutely great in the lubri-sizer.

Offline leatherjunkie

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2022, 03:39:57 PM »
I started to powder coat my bullets with eastwood powder coat.
no need for lube then.

I have used the luber sizer lyman brand with spg lube.
also tried the pan lube method. learned you need to put bullets in the pan lube and let everything heat up to certain temp(cant remember what the temp needs to be). then let cool by putting in fridge for an hour.

To me powder coating is the easiest way to lube. also makes the bullets pretty

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2022, 07:52:28 AM »

:) leatherjunke  ;)

Powder Coat works quite well with Smokeless.  Not so Bueno with Black Powder.  BP requires lube.

Offline Gabriel Law

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2022, 11:12:02 AM »
I use the RCBS lubrisizer as well with SPG that I buy in bulk and pour the melted lube into the charging tube to refill.  Although it is tedious, it works very well and fills all the grooves perfectly.  I too use SPG to lube all my bullets, with BP or Smokeless powders.

Offline Froogal

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2022, 02:19:27 PM »
I use the RCBS lubrisizer as well with SPG that I buy in bulk and pour the melted lube into the charging tube to refill.  Although it is tedious, it works very well and fills all the grooves perfectly.  I too use SPG to lube all my bullets, with BP or Smokeless powders.

I simply cut off chunks of the SPG and stuff them down into the tube. Takes a little finagling to get everything back in place, but then I'm good to go.

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 360
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2022, 07:50:30 AM »
My Lyman Lubesizer works great with SPG or home made tallow beeswax 50/50. Just got to remember to back off the tension on the lube if it's going to sit a long time or the soft lube will ooze out around the die. 
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Offline Driftwood Johnson

• Driftwood Johnson
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2022, 05:58:00 PM »
"I have the most effective and efficient lubing system ever devised.  It's called an iPhone.  I simply pick it up and call in an order for bullets from Springfield Slim  ::)

I realize this probably doesn't really hep the OP, but Hey!!  It's Saturday, after a three hour drive (each way) to shoot a Match and I'm really tired.  So There! 8)"

Bad news. Slim is getting out of the bullet casting business. I just placed what will probably be my last order with him. If you go to his website he has removed the page about Big Lube bullets.

If you want some of Slim's Big Lube bullets, I suggest you give him a holler before he hangs up his lade for good.

http://www.whyteleatherworks.com/
That’s bad business! How long do you think I’d stay in operation if it cost me money every time I pulled a job? If he’d pay me that much to stop robbing him, I’d stop robbing him.

Ya probably inherited every penny ya got!

Offline Driftwood Johnson

• Driftwood Johnson
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2022, 06:22:22 PM »
Getting back to the original question, when I was still casting my own bullets, I gave up on my old Lyman lube sizer years ago.

I bought what is probably the best system there is for sizing and lubing bullets, the Star Lube-Sizer made by Magma. It is not cheap, more expensive than a Lyman or RCBS lubesizer, but in my humble opinion it is much better. With the RCBS or the Lyman, you need a top punch fitted to the ogive of the bullet. Instead, the Star runs the bullets through the die upside down. You don't raise the bullet up to remove it, you let the next bullet shove the first one out of the bottom of the die while each new bullet is run through.

It used to take me a long time to size and lube with my old RCBS lubesizer because of having to raise each bullet up to remove it. As my old pard Lou Graham used to say, the Star just poops them out one after the next. You just catch each one as it poops out the bottom of the die.

The Star is expensive, and so are the dies for it. But when I was casting my own bullets I could size and lube a few hundred bullets in an hour or so.

As you can see in this photo I use sticks of SPG lube with my Star Lube-Sizer

Regarding pan lubing, I did that many years ago with regular hard cast bullets for Smokeless powder. Never did it again once I discovered the Big Lube bullets and my Star Lube-Sizer.

https://www.magmaengineering.com/magma-star-lube-sizer/

That’s bad business! How long do you think I’d stay in operation if it cost me money every time I pulled a job? If he’d pay me that much to stop robbing him, I’d stop robbing him.

Ya probably inherited every penny ya got!

Offline Earl Brasse

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2022, 02:06:04 PM »
Driftwood has it right.

Spend the money now & save time for the rest of your life.
If you think they are too much money, sell something else you have or change your lifestyle enough to save up & buy one.
Wouldn't you rather be doing anything else than sizing bullets slowly when there is a faster way?

Yes, a Lyman is fine if you just want to lube a few bullets for long range rifle or some other small batch, but for for action shooting , a Star is the one that will carry you far & fast.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com