Author Topic: 1873 carbine in .44 Magnum ?  (Read 1524 times)

Offline fortyshooter

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
1873 carbine in .44 Magnum ?
« on: January 05, 2022, 12:09:40 PM »
Been a while since I have been on here and wanted to know if any members here own a Uberti 1873 Winchester carbine in 44 Magnum?
I have heard about them and read comments about them but so far have seen no reviews from anyone who actually owns one.

I happened to locate a lightly used one at a Cabela's  in Texas last month and had it shipped to me thru my FFL.  It was in excellent shape with a nice glossy deep bluing showing little if any signs of being shot.  Will mainly be shooting light 44 Mag loads and Special loads which I have already done. After opening up the rear sight notch a bit for my old eyes it can put down a good group of my
 handloads.  Likes those 200 gr. plated bullets with 9.5 Unique in Magnum brass. Of course it does not like any SWC type bullets and I have a load of 200 gr. cast lead RNFP bullets coming from
Missouri Bullets. Also it pairs up nicely with my 1871 Open Top .44 Special !
It's interesting that since Uberti brought the 44 Mag version of the 1873 out back in 2012 I think it was, you can't seem to find any reviews of it.

Anyway if some folks here might own one or have had one at some point would like to hear your expierence of shooting and loading for it.

Thanks! 

Offline DrummerBoy

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 106
Re: 1873 carbine in .44 Magnum ?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2023, 09:56:54 PM »
 Howdy 40 Shooter
DrummerBoy here. I’m very interested in the 1873 in 44mag as well..unless I’m screwing up again the new Lyman book has the pressures all listed under handguns, and many of these are in the 25k-35k range.  It would indeed be educational to hear from someone using loads like this…I’d hate to have to go get one  8)

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2023, 10:18:48 AM »

Just a couple of thoughts.  The Uberti '73 in 44 Magnum is proofed for common over the counter Magnum ammunition.  Care must be exercised when hand loading for it though.

Next thought, I would expect the 44 Mag rifle would also digest 44 Special without much if any problem, making it a great partner for a 71/72 Open Top chambered in 44 Spc.

People are Hazardous to Yer Health

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:36:59 AM »

Offline KWK

• Top Active Citizen
    • KWK
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2023, 04:39:58 PM »
I can't add much. The 44 Mag '73 has intrigued me but not to the point I purchased one. I did correspond with two users, one here in the US and another in Australia. Both were quite fond of their rifle and reported it was more accurate than most.

I saw a web post by another owner that 44 Special brass didn't like the rifle, but 44 Mag brass was fine with it.

I've read Uberti stopped making them in 2020, but until last month Taylor's site listed it as in stock. That one must have been sold, for they are now listed as back ordered.

Some claim the receiver and links are special steels, but the factory site lists the same part numbers for the 44 Mag and 44 WCF, although I don't know how accurate is the factory site.

Do let us know how it shoots. I kind of regret not trying one. Instead I bought a restored original '73 in 38-40. It has poor balance compared to a carbine and the action is too stiff for my tastes. I think it will be sold off and replaced by a '73 or '66 carbine replica.
Karl

Offline 1961MJS

• Top Active Citizen
  • GAF #: 797
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 32
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2023, 10:58:23 PM »
Hi, curious about the grips on that .44 Special open top.  Those look like something Lance Schofield would be making.
Later
Mike
BOSS #230

Brevet Lieutenant Colonel
Division of Oklahoma

Offline Bryan Austin

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 17
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2023, 07:29:58 AM »
I can't add much. The 44 Mag '73 has intrigued me but not to the point I purchased one. I did correspond with two users, one here in the US and another in Australia. Both were quite fond of their rifle and reported it was more accurate than most.

I saw a web post by another owner that 44 Special brass didn't like the rifle, but 44 Mag brass was fine with it.

I've read Uberti stopped making them in 2020, but until last month Taylor's site listed it as in stock. That one must have been sold, for they are now listed as back ordered.

Some claim the receiver and links are special steels, but the factory site lists the same part numbers for the 44 Mag and 44 WCF, although I don't know how accurate is the factory site.

Do let us know how it shoots. I kind of regret not trying one. Instead I bought a restored original '73 in 38-40. It has poor balance compared to a carbine and the action is too stiff for my tastes. I think it will be sold off and replaced by a '73 or '66 carbine replica.

I have talked with Uberti reps in the past about both the 44 Mag rifle and 44 Mag revolver....was told no special steels were used.

However, some early Uberti 73's used the 1860-66 design firing pin stop (pn104), which is weak. That pin is discontinued and replaced with the original 73' style Firing Pin Extension Stop (pn 721).

I kept an eye on my pin (44-40) and when it had enough (was about to break), I installed the new "bolt kit" offered at the time that utilizes the original style stop plate. You had to replace the bolt and firing pin extension.

Chasing The 44-40 Website: https://sites.google.com/view/44winchester

Chasing The 44-40 Forum: https://44-40.forumotion.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com