Author Topic: Italo-Franken Colt SAA Project  (Read 1237 times)

Offline Virginia Gentleman

• Top Active Citizen
  • Here's a McRib for Allah
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 24
Italo-Franken Colt SAA Project
« on: February 11, 2021, 01:24:48 AM »
Let me just start out by saying I am doing this to make a safe working gun that is functional, usable, more economical and nice to look at while saving money to enjoy the gun.  Yes, I know I could buy a new Italian replica or spend even more money on getting a 100% Colt gun with Colt parts so, please don't bother with the keystrokes to rehash those options.   I have found many abused "orphan" guns over the years  that have been in poor shape and what I try to do is make them functional and look nice, not to deceive or fool anyone into thinking it is in original condition with correct parts and in a factory finish.  OK, I got that covered and out in the open, let me tell you what I am planning on doing.  I have an original circa 1920s 1st generation barrel, cylinder a USFA base pin and cylinder bushing and a 1st generation 1920s receiver with the 1st generation loading gate.  Welding and other flaw removal for the frame is required along with re-tapping some of the screw holes.  There is nothing else I have purchased like the back strap, trigger guard that is original Colt for this build as it would far outweigh an already time and expense consuming project to get original parts.  My question is, what parts from either of the Italian gun makers like Pietta and/or Uberti could be fitted to a Colt SAA frame and barrel?  I know with Uberti I would have to get a hammer and trigger that doesn't have the retracting firing pin.  Would a Colt hammer and trigger really be necessary or could I use one of the clone makers parts?  Is putting in a coil spring for the hand better than the original Colt style flat hand spring?  How about the Italian small parts like screws, ejector assembly/housing, trigger guard/grip frame. backstrap and Uberti wood grips....can they all be fitted by hand?  Other small parts like the hand, mainspring, bolt and other springs?  I plan on hardening any Italian parts like the screws and installing Woolf springs where I can get them.  Any answers to these questions will be greatly appreciated.  My thanks in advance and I know in the end I won't be saving a king's ransom, but every bit can help the project.

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
Re: Italo-Franken Colt SAA Project
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2021, 06:45:51 AM »
I think yours a worthy project ,

I restored a old beater COLT 1849 POCKET model with Lodgewood  https://www.lodgewood.com/Revolver-Parts_c_22.html

The hand , bolt spring , were missing  and a few screws replaced
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2021, 08:18:27 AM »
I believe Uberti grip frame screws will fit the Colt, and the springs are pretty universal.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:10:44 AM »

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2021, 10:08:47 AM »

:)  Virginia   ;)

I think yours is a most worthy project.  Starting at the front, seriously look at Pietta parts.  Base Pin, Bushing & Cylinder.  Lockworks would include Bolt, Trigger, Spring and Hand.

YES!!  Most definitely set the gun up with Coil Spring and Plunger for the hand.  So long as the finished product is correctly timed, the Pietta Trigger Bolt Spring will serve nicely.  The Main Spring is pretty much a universal part.  I would also suggest the Pietta if you wish a nice HEAVY main spring.  If the gun runs well, I'd substitute a "Lee's Gunsmithing Gunfighter" (Brownells) Main Spring.  I do believe you will also find the Trigger Guard and Backstrap from Pietta will fit with minimal hassle.  Having to fit grips is Du Rigger.

Great Project.
Stay Safe Out There 

Offline Virginia Gentleman

• Top Active Citizen
  • Here's a McRib for Allah
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 24
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2021, 12:24:53 AM »
The replies so far have been very helpful, I will lean toward Pietta parts since they are threaded correctly.  What I also learned today is the Colt backstrap grip frame is included.  No trigger guard and some of the internals are missing.

Offline DeaconKC

• Retired Predator Hunter
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 110215
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4669
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2021, 12:36:55 PM »
Good luck on this! I love bringing the old ones back too.
SASS DeaconKC
The Deacon AZSA
BOLD 1088
RATS 739
STORM 448
Driver for Howard, Fine & Howard
Veterinary & Taxidermy Clinic
"Either way, you get your dog back"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com