Author Topic: Rookie review of Henry Big Boy  (Read 19714 times)

Offline BobbyF

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Rookie review of Henry Big Boy
« on: December 10, 2013, 08:23:17 PM »
I don't  have the experience to write a review for the Pards, but there might be another rookie or two out there considering the Big Boy. I just shot a mixed box and a half of .38 spec lead round nose and .357 semi jacketed hollow points. The rifle performed flawlessly out of the box. I didn't  touch any sights. It is heavy and holds steady as a rock. I'm not fast at all on the lever and the rifle kept up with me without a problem. As to its durability I will have to wait and see. Two of my targets are below, both at 20 yds, one resting on a table.
     Is there anyone else out there shooting one of these? I hope this post is useful to somebody --BobbyF

Offline Sleepy Floyd

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Rookie review of Henry Big Boy
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2014, 09:17:44 AM »
I had, until recently, a bigboy in 45C.

Very accurate and very reliable.  It was going to be my backup gun to my 1860, but someone made me an offer I could not turn down.  So I bought an 1866.  Had to stay with brass.

Offline Deadeye Don

• SASS # 76281
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • DeadeyeDon
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2014, 10:54:54 AM »
Hard to believe people are still buying these.  Glad to hear your experience is good................so far.
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:18:58 PM »

Offline rickk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2014, 11:54:45 AM »
Mine is in 45 LC.

I did have problem at first... 1 or 2 rounds in 10 would jamb coming out of the magazine tube.

I called their toll free number. Antonio answered the phone. From what I gather, Antonio almost always is the one that picks up the phone.

No arguments at all, he immediately emailed me a prepaid shipping label, UPS picked it up the next day.

I got it back in 7 days, and now it works 100% flawlessly, a very smooth action.

I shoot BP loads out of it BTW.

Like with most lever guns, a leather lever wrap will take up some slack in there and also make it easier on the back of your hand...

Rick

Offline Green River Powell aka RonC

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2014, 07:01:47 PM »
Hard to believe people are still buying these.  Glad to hear your experience is good................so far.
I am curious to learn about any problems associated with the Big Boy. I just bought one simply because I liked the looks and the heft. The action is much smoother than the EMF Hartford I had and, after about 60 rounds, it is performing flawlessly. I haven't had it long enough (2 weeks) to see any long term issues so it would be nice to know what to look for.
Thanks,
Ron
Ron

Offline Jefro

• Top Active Citizen
  • know matter where you go, there you are
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2014, 10:30:53 PM »
I am curious to learn about any problems associated with the Big Boy. I just bought one simply because I liked the looks and the heft. The action is much smoother than the EMF Hartford I had and, after about 60 rounds, it is performing flawlessly. I haven't had it long enough (2 weeks) to see any long term issues so it would be nice to know what to look for.
Thanks,
Ron
Howdy Green River, you want have to look for it, when you try to run one at speed it will find you. Nothing wrong with the HBB for plinking or target shooting, it should work fine. It's when you try to run one at CAS speed, the action just can't do it and it will jamb. This is not from hearsay or what I've heard it is from what I've seen.......and I've yet to see one finish a match unless you run it very deliberate and slow. We have one shooter at our club that uses one, he doesn't care about speed, he likes to shoot clean and slow.....his rarely if ever jambs.  If that's all you ask of it it should do fine. Good Luck :)

Jefro :D Relax-Enjoy
sass # 69420....JEDI GF #104.....NC Soot Lord....CFDA#1362
44-40 takes a back seat to no other caliber

Offline Green River Powell aka RonC

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2014, 10:37:37 PM »
Thank you for that information!
At this point, that likely is an issue that shouldn't affect me. I have mostly moved over to the Dark Side. When I take my flintlocks to the range, I will take my CAS SAA replicas and the rifle along in case I have some extra time. Most times, I will take a pair of 1851 Navy pistols over the SAAs. So, I guess Green River is my name and black powder plinkin' is my game.

Thanks,
Ron
Ron

Offline rickk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2014, 12:38:36 PM »
After HRA fixed whatever was wrong with mine, it feeds flawlessly for me.

And, Yes Green River, they sure are smooth aren't they?

Rick

Offline Anvil Al

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2014, 12:41:13 PM »
Have to agree with Jefro. If not running fast. They are a great gun. And I like the company.
I have 4 of there Golden Boy .22's.
But most I have seen at the range would not run at any speed. I have tried a few. And out ran
them. Never could get a 10 shot run out of one. CAS is a speed game. And yes. NCOWS is also. If it is
timed. It is a speed game.

Offline LostVaquero

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2015, 12:14:15 PM »
Alright I will add in here.  A friend loaned me a Big Boy in 357 but this is what Henry is calling the steel Big Boy.  Round barrel and steel receiver.  It is a whole lot lighter than the original Big Boy.  It ran as fast as I could (granted not any speed demon but no problems either).  Henry lists it at 7lbs or about the same as Marlin 94. 

Taking a look at the thing it looks a lot like the 1895 Marlin action just a bit scaled down.  I have been told the Unitek hammer spring kit will work to lighten it up.  Not sure if the plunger spring will work but perhaps a half coil or so to speed up locking times.

Yes still a tube loader but on the CAS line I don't have to reload under fire.  There was one stage that called for 11 rounds rifle, i.e., one reload.  Tossed the round through the ejection port and no problem. 

I checked out the price from my dealer and about $150 less than the brass job.  Puts it between a Rossi 92 and a whole lot less then the ever increasingly scarce 1894s.  For an entry level I would say not too bad.

Offline Rooster Ron Wayne

• Rooster
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Lube your Balls & Cap your Nipples ~ Just Sayin !
  • SASS #: 86029
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2017, 06:25:51 PM »
I hear people Talk Crap all the time about the Big boy .
Its No good its junk blah blah blah .

I would bet 98% of the 5hit talkers never owned one or even shot one.
Are there better suited guns ?
Why hell yes there are better suited guns for Cowboy  !

But if you think the Big boy is ugly or a peace of junk ,
Or you are hung up on there past claim to fame. ,
 DONT BUY ONE !

I have many Cowboy guns and they all work good .
Some better then others .
73 , 66, three 92's  two Marlins a Henry and a Big boy .

I wanted to see for myself how a Big boy would run .
And Yes I just liked the gun also..

I took a brand new Big boy straight out of the box to a Cowboy shoot.
Im a 30 to 40 second shooter depending on the stage .

It ran flawlessly the whole day , And With  a Clean Match !
Is it fast ? Why No its not fast !
Can you shoot one ? Why hell yes you can shoot one !
Will you WIN ?
I dont think a new shooter just coming in to the sport or a Old shooter using a Big boy even cares about first place.

Its about playing Cowboy and having fun !
Not everyone comes here to be First or Even in the Top 10 or 20.
Some of use are just Content playing Cowboy !

So all I have to say to the Haters .
Dont Buy One .

And leave the pore guy alone Who likes his !
Its His Game he is playing Not Yours !
Just Sayin .
Rooster .
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you:
1. Jesus Christ
2. The American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom."

Offline Mean Bob Mean

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2017, 12:53:48 PM »
I think an HBB in .45 would make a swell little deer and hog rifle as they can shoot the stouter stuff.  I am extremely attracted to their reputation for customer service and their American ethic.
"We tried a desperate game and lost. But we are rough men used to rough ways, and we will abide by the consequences."
- Cole Younger

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2017, 03:30:22 PM »
some comments on a few points made in this thread....

A. I find it interesting, people are still bashing HRA , because they used the Henry name ...Well it was an open Name free of and no longer under any copyright or incorporated legal constraints...  get over it !

B. NCOWs does NOT recognize the Henry BIG BOY , it is on the unapproved rifle list
that said...if you showed up with one at monthly NCOWS match, I doubt with good experience,  any NCOWs posse' would send you away...and you have a year to get an approved rifle.   BTW, they do make an 1860 Henry and it is LEGAL !

C. Henry Repeating Arms has a FINE reputation for customer service, In fact call and 8 out 9 time Anthony (CEO) will answer.
see to it  your issue is handled and you are 100% satisfied.

D. HRA is a USA company, read some time how, after Hurricane Sandy devastated their New Jersey manufactory.
Paychecks continued for employee's who home were damaged , even though the plant was idle.

OK so the Big Boy is not the " go to rifle " for the gamers of SASS....
Hell a Volkswagen is not for NASCAR !
nor is Betty White , centerfold material .....  :)

Point is the American Arms industry is alive ( in the mist of the Politicos' and Anti's ) and HRA is a player....
not everybody Shoot Western action.... and great many more people though shoot just for fun, hunt, or just want a Lever gun behind the Kitchen door.... and that is why they are still in Business.

when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2017, 05:28:15 PM »
Oh WOW!!  Just a little PILING ON here   8)

PLUS ONE to Major 2.

And, just for grins and giggles, go out there, running your "Race Rifle" fast as you can and short stroke it.  TRAIN WRECK!!  And dit dit dot, CAS is only a "speed" game for the 20% or so of "fastest" shooters.  EVERYBODY else is just playin the game for FUN!!  If your not reaching for the Brass Ring and you like your Big Boy, by all means PLAY WITH IT!!

Opinionated
Coffinmaker  8)

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2017, 06:37:34 PM »
...A. I find it interesting, people are still bashing HRA , because they used the Henry name ...Well it was an open Name free of and no longer under any copyright or incorporated legal constraints...  get over it !...

I think the main point of objection, at least in the past, was not that they used the Henry name but that they seemed to claim, or infer, a direct lineage from that original company.

Otherwise, they are doing well (other than CAS), and probably raking in a boatload of money by selling their rifles in so many stores.

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2017, 05:47:33 AM »
It's not exactly unprecedented.....
and I suppose only persons offended are CAS type historians.
Ask the average Joe on the street ...who Tyler Henry , Eugene Stoner or Christopher Miner Spencer was and see their blank stare.  ( Stoner & Spencer are not copyrighted presently )  

Doing well ?  Yes, I believe they are  "as you say" (other than CAS )   Number 7 in the list of USA Manufactures ...not to mention they only manufacture rifles ...

Here is the list form 2013

MANUFACTURER   
1 .Ruger   -    Pistols , Revolvers & Rifles
2. Smith & Wesson Corp.   -  Pistols ,Revolvers & Rifles
3. Remington Arms Co.   - Rifles & Shotguns
4. SIG SAUER Inc.-    Pistols & Rifles
5. O.F. Mossberg/Maverick Arm - Shotguns & Pistols      
6. Savage Arms Inc.   Rifle & Shotguns      
7. Henry RAC Holding Corp.      Rifles Only    

Here is the site  https://www.shootingindustry.com/u-s-firearms-industry-today-2015/

Offline Ben Beam

• SASS Affiliated Merchant (#105892)
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Ben Beam & Co. -- Old West Ephemera
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2017, 10:07:49 AM »
It's not exactly unprecedented.....
and I suppose only persons offended are CAS type historians.
Ask the average Joe on the street ...who Tyler Henry , Eugene Stoner or Christopher Miner Spencer was and see their blank stare.  ( Stoner & Spencer are not copyrighted presently )  

True, but the average joe on the street also thinks cowboys wear Wrangler jeans, shirts with pearl buttons, pointy-toed cowboy boots, an oilskin duster, and a Stetson Cattleman.
Ben Beam & Co. -- Bringing You a New Old West -- Reproduction Old West Ephemera for re-enactors, living historians, set dressing, chuckwagons, props, or just for fun!
http://www.BenBeam.com

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2017, 10:48:06 AM »
Just exactly what is being inferred here??   Do you mean there is something wrong with Wrangler Jeans, My woozier shirts with Pearly buttons, Pointy boots and huge Stetson??  Something wrong with that??  I skipped the Oilskin Duster (I have one) 'cause I don't shoot inna rain   ::)

Actually, the point is well taken.  The impressions most folks have are The Marlboro Man or a Drugstore Cowboy.  Actual, as we well know is much plainer (makes thin boards) and utilitarian.  Like lugg Sole Waffle Stompers  :o.   Ah wait a minute here .........

THREAD DRIFT ALARM     THREAD DRIFT ALARM     THREAD DRIFT ALARM

Back to our "Previously" scheduled program.  If you take a peek inside the Big Boy, what you find is basically an updated Marlin action.  Enclosed round bolt, but basically Marlin.  There has been, contrary to popular belief, continuing product improvement over at HRA and the new build Big Boys are much better these days.  No, there not particularly fast, but neither are bogged stock Marlins.  EVERYTHING we play with takes a certain amount of work to be user friendly and or "fast."  Even if all you do is change out the "truck springs."

Coffinmaker

Offline Mean Bob Mean

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2017, 11:58:02 AM »
Just exactly what is being inferred here??   Do you mean there is something wrong with Wrangler Jeans, My woozier shirts with Pearly buttons, Pointy boots and huge Stetson??  Something wrong with that?? 

No they look fine on you pard.
"We tried a desperate game and lost. But we are rough men used to rough ways, and we will abide by the consequences."
- Cole Younger

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2017, 12:59:19 PM »

Wrangler jeans, shirts with pearl buttons, pointy-toed cowboy boots, an oilskin duster, and a Stetson Cattleman.

Well ...the Urban cowboys do....  Travolta worshipers and maybe the cocaine types. 

in fact most real cowhunters here,  wear Stetson's Ocala straw or Stetson Stallion Maximo Straw , Stetson's Michell or San Miguel straws.
Jeans , chambray   & work boots ...but these guys also have yellow slickers on their saddles...

Enough Thread drift ....

Back to Henry BIG BOY Bashing  ::)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com