Special Interests - Groups & Societies > The Winchester Model 1876

Comparing the Original 1876 with the Uberti 1876 - PICS

(1/11) > >>

Grizzly Adams:
The following is a photo essay comparing the Uberti 1876 with an original Winchester 1876.  It was originally three threads with I have merged into one. :)

It also provides some suggestions for tuning up and smoothing up the Uberti.  Much of this also will apply to the Chaparral 1876, with the exception of the firing pin arrangement.

Grizzly Adams:
Well, I have had this awhile, and it seems to function as advertised, so I thought it was time to see what makes it tick. 
Also a chance to tune up things that may need it. :)

This is a 22 inch barrel Uberti 1876 in 45-60 caliber.  Serial number is CN0XXX. 
So it is a three digit serial "Centennial" model.  As I understand it, this is one of the first 10 units
 with 22 inch barrels received by Cimarron Arms.

Below is my original 1876 in 45-75.  Short rifle with 22 inch barrel and shotgun butt.

Off with the side plates! ;D  Wow, Uberti is still torquing down those screws! :P 

A little Kroil and we have them off!  The side plates on the original fell off. 

Here are the right side plates, side by side.

Looks like Uberti made a slight change in the "ladle."  Actually, I think it is a bit heavier?  Note machining on both.

Out with the links!  The original links are much easier to get out than the Uberti links
..... of course they are about 126 years old now! ;D 

Here they are side by side.  The black ones are the Uberti links.  Cool, huh?

Laid one on the other, they are real close!  One big difference I can see is that the Uberti link pins
 in the frame of the rifle are thicker than the original rifle.  Note the larger holes in the Uberti links. 
(The same is also true of the Uberti 1873 and the Winnie 1873.) 

The original links seem to have closer tolerance at the joint, but both seem equally robust.

Now the tuff part - Getting those timing spring screws loose! :-\

..........this is not going well! :'(

Finally! ;D  I had to use a clamp to compress the springs enough to get the screw loose. 

Lucky, no buggered up screws! :) It really is not that the screws are overtightened,
it is the fact that they are under a load from the heavy springs.

Don't believe I need to take the original down in further to make the necessary comparisons,
so I will leave the springs in the old girl. ;)

Here is a shot of the interior of the original showing the springs, bolt and firing pin. 
Note the firing pin retractor in the back of the bolt.  That little lever retracts the original's one piece firing pin. 

If you look at the pics of the links, you will see the small pin on the left link that engages the retractor. 
Note that the Uberti link does not have that pin.

Here is another interior shot of the original.  Note machine work.

For comparison, this is the same shot of the interior of the Uberti.  Note machine work.

NOW, this is interesting!  Uberti is still using the two piece firing pin, but has strengthened the design
by adapting the Winchester design - .....well, sorta! ???

Here is the bolt and firing pin assembly.  Note the small "key"?  kinda like the original cut in half.

This little item is new, and replaces the tiny pin you will see in the Uberti 1873 with the two piece firing pin. 
This is much stronger and also a nod to the original design.

Here is a shot showing the machined recess that the key fit in -

The retraction of the two piece pin is by the coil spring shown.  The key is no longer a part of the retraction,
but serves to capture and retain the striker end on the assembly.  Actually, pretty neat idea. :)

That's all for now.  Hope this has been of interest!

I will post more as I get further into this project! :)

john boy:
Winchester Lever Action Repeating Firearms : The Models of 1866, 1873 & 1876 by Arthur Pirkle ... excellent reference book with a multitude of details on the '76 and it's evolution from the '66.  Amazon.com has new and used copies

Advertising:

Hoof Hearted:
Grizz

Very cool and very informative!

Grizzly Adams:

--- Quote from: john boy on December 09, 2007, 07:57:35 PM ---Winchester Lever Action Repeating Firearms : The Models of 1866, 1873 & 1876 by Arthur Pirkle ... excellent reference book with a multitude of details on the '76 and it's evolution from the '66.  Amazon.com has new and used copies

--- End quote ---

+1 :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version