Author Topic: Looking For >>>>>>>>> Spencer Rifle Accessories  (Read 3753 times)

Offline Two Flints

• Spencer Shooting Society Founder & Moderator
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Moderating SSS IS a "Labor of Love"!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Looking For >>>>>>>>> Spencer Rifle Accessories
« on: April 03, 2012, 07:43:43 AM »
Hello SSS,

I have been trying to locate two accessories for my recently acquired Spencer Rifle, more for display purposes than anything else. 

I have been trying to find a source for a Spencer Rifle reproduction sling - trying to find one that would be considered "period or Spencer Rifle correct". 

Also, I have been looking for a Spencer Rifle Socket Bayonet - and according to the Marcot book those made for the Spencer Rifle did not have any "maker" markings or any other markings for that matter.

Now, I found a very nice and complete 6 tube Blakeslee, but the selling price was $8,000.00  ::) ::).  A bit too high for me, I think ??? ???

Two Flints

Una mano lava l'altra
Moderating SSS is a "labor of love"
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
Spencer Shooting Society Moderator
Spencer Shooting Society (SSS) #4;
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Fur Trade Era - Mountain Man
Traditional Archery

Offline Preston County Rider

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Looking For >>>>>>>>> Spencer Rifle Accessories
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2012, 03:38:56 PM »
Two Flints - I was looking "real" hard at my Springfield bayonet - with a little dremmel work, it should work. From what I understand, our rifle bayonets looked like the Springfields - I was going to take a trip to Gettysburg this week and see if I can find a "cheap" repo to try to fit - the sling - no luck with S&S - I take it you want the canvas/cloth sling, right? It is the only one I've seen. If I find one, I will alert the SSS crew

PCR

Offline Two Flints

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2012, 04:43:21 PM »
Preston County Rider,

According to the United States Ordinance Manual of 1861, the rifle sling should be made of russet (brown) leather.  The dimensions call for a width of 1 1/4" and 46" in length. The sling should include one standing and one sliding loop, and a brass hook, which is fastened to the sling with two brass rivets of #15 wire.  All of this info off the top of my head  ::) ::) of course ;D

But, certainly, NOT canvas or cloth.  I'll post some photos as soon as I find them on my very cluttered hard drive :-\

Two Flints

Una mano lava l'altra
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Traditional Archery

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:42:13 PM »

Offline Two Flints

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2012, 06:06:30 PM »
Now, regarding the Spencer Rifle Socket Bayonet, I Emailed the following to an online Civil War dealer:

"I have been visiting your web site, and was hoping you might be able to provide additional information on the Sharps/Spencer Socket Bayonets you have listed.

I own an original Spencer Rifle and would like to add an original Spencer Rifle Socket Bayonet to my collection.  According to the Roy Marcot book, Spencer Repeating Firearms, "the Sharps bayonet will not seat on the Spencer barrel."  You list your socket bayonets as  
"Sharps/Spencer", so I'm not sure they will fit on my Spencer barrel, or do you know otherwise?"

Two Flints

Una mano lava l'altra
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Traditional Archery

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk