Author Topic: Uberti Cattleman from Taylor's  (Read 10786 times)

Offline Gen Lew Wallace

• Major General, VIII Corps, Commander Middle Dept.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Savior of Washington D.C.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Uberti Cattleman from Taylor's
« on: June 12, 2012, 06:10:41 AM »
Well I will start off a thread in this new forum.  8)

I have ordered a pair of Uberti Cattlemen in 7 1/2, 45 Colt from Cody Conagher and am waiting.  It seems that Taylor's has a large shipment of revolvers on back order.  So that must mean the hobby is alive and well.  What are folks thoughts on this particular revolver?  This will be my first experience with them; and with Cody's action jobs.  I have faith in both from all that I have read over time. 

I used to shoot 75 Remmies.  I got out of the hobby several years ago; but now am jumping back in and am excited about these guns. 
Retired USAF, 20 years defending my beloved nation
NRA Life, SUVCW, GAF#164, AF&AM, AASR

"This is my native state.  I will not leave it to serve the South.  Down the street yonder is the old cemetery, and my father lies there going to dust.  If I fight, I tell you, it shall be for his bones." -Lew Wallace, after the 1860 election

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 426
Re: Uberti Cattleman from Taylor's
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2012, 06:17:41 AM »
You will be pleased ....a friend of mind has a Cattleman by Cody & a 73 Codymatic .....they are the sweetest running guns
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Danny Bear Claw

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2012, 07:42:58 AM »
Well General...  I've never actually shot one but I did examine one once.  I was impressed with it's fit, finish and smooth action.  I would have liked to have shot it a little but it wasn't to be. 
SASS #5273 Life.   NRA Life member.  RATS # 136.   "We gladly feast on those who would subdue us".

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 11:37:25 AM »

Offline Marshal Deadwood

• SHOOTER FOR HIRE
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Home of the Plainsmen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2012, 08:14:24 AM »
I have two Cattlemen and they are outstanding. I had action jobs on both. You will be pleased I'm sure.

Offline Gen Lew Wallace

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2012, 06:15:38 AM »
Thank you for the insight.  I will be waiting... impatiently.   ;D

"This is my native state.  I will not leave it to serve the South.  Down the street yonder is the old cemetery, and my father lies there going to dust.  If I fight, I tell you, it shall be for his bones." -Lew Wallace, after the 1860 election

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2012, 10:19:45 AM »
"So that must mean the hobby is alive and well."  Many of the reproductions are limited production guns.  They run them in batches.  Sometimes it can be a long time before they run off a batch of a particular gun or configuration.  The Cattlemen is a popular model, so they run those fairly frequently.

Offline pghrich

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2012, 05:50:21 AM »
I am very pleased with uberti products, my two hombres are very smooth and serviceable right out of the box, only thing i did was install a washer behind the main spring on both, my beretta stampede is also very nice, just wish they would have left the firing pin alone, also only item i had to replace was a main spring on one of my hombres due to my own stupidity [i had the grip frame off and pulled to full cock and it went a little to far back and broke the main spring], pghrich

Offline Shenandoah

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2012, 07:52:03 AM »
I have purchased 3 Cattlemen over the years. The last one was 6 months ago (I even waited 12 months for a delivery from Taylors before finally cancelling one past  order). They shoot well out of the box, but they would no doubt benefit from an action job.

I had Cody lighten a spring on a Spencer replica and he did a good job (never had a pistol action job done by him). For the price, I think you'll be pleased.  

An after shooting replica 1873 Colts for most of my life and wanting this forum, my first Colt in .44 special is set to be delivered today. Now I'm confused about where to post.  ;D

Offline brazosdave

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2012, 04:10:11 PM »
Pghrich, why did you install the washer behind the main spring on the hombres?  I'm bidding on one, and I'm not real familiar with the mechanicals.  Can ya sling a little knowledge my way? :)
"I'm your huckleberry, it's just my game"

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1224
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2012, 05:41:20 PM »
Brazosdave: a trick that has been done for many years was to put a small piece of leather under the main spring (between the spring and the triggerguard where the spring is screwed into the triggerguard.  This changes the angle of the spring just slightly and lightens the hammer pull just a little.  A modern version of that is to use a washer (I like the stainless #10 split washer).  Some folks that do action jobs will put the washer in as well as thinning the main spring (or replacing the main spring with an aftermarket lighter spring).  This way if you happen to run across some primers that are harder than normal and hard to pop, you can easily remove the washer to get just a bit more power in the hammer.

Offline brazosdave

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2012, 11:13:53 PM »
Abilene, appreciate the info. I am trying to absorb as much info as I can on working on cowboy guns. I did a fair bit of working on modern military weapons when I was in the Army (my small arms repairer got knocked up and sent home early from Iraq, so between myself and a couple of my wheel mechanics, we became the regiments small arms repairers, lol).

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1224
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2012, 09:15:37 AM »
Marauder has a great collection of articles on working on a variety of cowboy guns that can get you started:
 http://marauder.homestead.com/irons.html

Offline brazosdave

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2012, 06:37:42 PM »
Thanks brother! :)

Offline Gen Lew Wallace

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2012, 02:21:43 PM »
I'm still waiting for my shooters.  I feel like a kid waiting for a Christmas present.  Anyone have similar experience ordering from Taylor's and through a shop that does action jobs?  I know Cody probably has quite a wait time for work, so I'm thinking it takes awhile for Taylor's to get them from Italy? 

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 426
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2012, 04:38:20 PM »
Depends on what you ordered... I guess  :-\   Nickle or consec #'s etc.
Europe, including Italy takes August off (really) so they are just sorta back in full swing.
Cody will do a fantastic job though, and be worth your time.

Meanwhile watch this
and see how your guns are made !

I used Longhunter and had my gun back in less that two weeks, course I had the gun ( a Richards & Mason )
and he did some upgrading at no extra charge , I was very please with  :D
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Gen Lew Wallace

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2012, 08:34:52 AM »
Cody says Taylor's told him 4 more weeks.  Man those Italians.  Perhaps I shoulda ordered [whisper mode on] Rugers [whisper mode off]   8) 

I do own stock in that company, but I just like the look of the Cattleman.  I'll wait.  Impatiently; but I'll wait.

Offline Virginia Gentleman

• Top Active Citizen
  • Here's a McRib for Allah
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 24
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2012, 12:05:52 AM »
The video was very cool and it is interesting how they fake case harden the frames with molten nitre bluing salts.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com