Author Topic: The Old West Saloon  (Read 3831 times)

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 405
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline Capt Quirk

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Smoke Wagon Leather Works
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: The Old West Saloon
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2018, 02:31:15 PM »
I want to build a saloon out here,  but I'm getting resistance from the missus. She says she doesn't  want to live in a saloon. I envisioned a nice hotel in the front to live in,  and the back half would be the bar/"mancave", with room for gatherings,  stage,  game tables. I think the point where I really lost her,  was rooms for "the girls" and a pole on the stage.  Women...  ::)

Offline bear tooth billy

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS Senator
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 53
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2018, 08:26:16 PM »
Mine is still having problems with the 1800 lb buffalo head mount in the living room

BTB
Born 110 years too late

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:56:03 PM »

Offline Crow Choker

• Top Active Citizen
  • River Banker Extraordinaire
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 36
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2018, 08:56:52 PM »
The picture of the Long Branch Saloon in Dodge City sure doesn't look like the one in Gunsmoke that Matt Dillion used to enforce the law in or visit Miss Kitty!  ;D  Looking at some of those pictures reminds me of some of the small town taverns around the Midwest area I live in that some of my hombre friends and I used to visit back in the late 60's, early 70's. Some of the outside looks and interior settings hadn't changed much since the turn of the century as some pictures were available on some of them. 
Darksider-1911 Shooter-BOLD Chambers-RATS-SCORRS-STORM-1860 Henry(1866)-Colt Handgun Lover an' Fan-NRA-"RiverRat"-Conservative American Patriot and Former Keeper & Enforcer of the Law an' Proud of Being Both! >oo

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 421
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2018, 09:17:45 AM »
If you are ever in San Antonio visit or better still stay at the Menger Hotel, The Roosevelt bar is where Teddy mustered some of the Rough Riders.
I've stayed several times, both in the original and the newer wing, the Bar is always a must ( course, I don't do Drams ) but still a great place and atmosphere. 

The Alamo is just next door  ;)
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2018, 11:14:27 AM »
It's a shame that I didn't take any pictures of the Mint Saloon in Great Falls, MT, in the late 1960's. That was where Charlie Russell used to hang out with his friends. Sadly, they tore it down and turned it into...a parking lot!  :'(

The Old West saloon wasn't just a place to buy drinks. It was the social gathering place of towns. Not every saloon wound up with drunken brawls, shootouts, etc.  Some had brothels upstairs; many did not. It just depended on the needs and wants of the local clientele. Saloons along the cattle trails certainly had a wider variety of services than those in more off-the-beaten-track places.
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Offline Jack Wagon

• Top Active Citizen
  • the High Sierra
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2018, 08:21:37 PM »
 I was recently in the Red Dog Saloon in Juneau, it sure has the feel of the old west saloon. With swinging front doors, sawdust on the floor and music from an old piano being banged out in the background. On the wall behind the bar is a Smith and Wesson # 3 that was checked by Wyatt Earp on his way to Nome , but never claimed. The provenance on that pistol is pretty sketchy, but it's a good story. A fun place, but don't forget your gun when leaving town.  Jw
Jack Wagon
Member NRA
Member #358 SSS

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com