Author Topic: What're the Odds?  (Read 558 times)

Offline Paul_Sussex

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
What're the Odds?
« on: February 08, 2024, 03:03:50 PM »
So, I've been shooting a stainless Uberti NMA bought from a friend (who had it from new eight or nine years ago) paired with an older stainless Pietta - both 44's. Having just sold a pair of 36 NMA's, I was on the lookout for another Uberti and found one advertised locally. Looked to be in very good condition and for a good price - taken in as px against a Ruger. So, did the deal, got home and started going through the transfer paperwork. The kicker...my "old" Uberti is numbered XXX785. The new one...XXX786!  :o

Need some work to shorten the barrel and bob the foresight to match, but how happy am I!   ;D

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1181
Re: What're the Odds?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2024, 04:02:21 PM »
Truth is stranger than fiction!  I've heard of some similar stories.  I worked in a gunshop, and a guy bought an Evil Roy revolver.  Several years later, he bought one used and it happened to be the consecutive serial number, just like yours!

I'm curious how you would rate the Uberti and Pietta against each other, realizing of course that they are not current production.

Offline Paul_Sussex

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2024, 04:02:51 AM »
My preference is the Ubertis, because they hide all the trivial stampings under the barrel and covered by the loading lever...petty, I know. Other than that...?

My first Uberti was bought from a friend, who had it from new. He'd cut down the barrel to about six and a half or seven inches (I need to measure this) and filed down the foresight. The Pietta is older and unknown history. At some point, the link between the loading lever and rammer has been bent, which makes loading a pain. Also, the chambers seem to be tighter than the Uberti. As far as I can tell it's standard, with a full length barrel and original foresight.

As far as shooting goes, it's pretty much a wash.

The plan now is to have the "new" gun cut to match the first one. Then have a play around with the Pietta. I really like the idea of a stainless Remington Bulldog similar to Mike Beliveau's. (Hey...is he Bottom Dealing Mike on here?) Just need to find a company who can post a Howell quick release catch to the UK.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:59:04 AM »

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2024, 09:28:23 AM »
BDM is a member here, but hasn't been on for almost 3 years.  You could PM him, though.

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2024, 10:16:36 AM »
I'm curious, what kind of legal hoops must you deal with to own those SAA's ?
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2024, 11:09:48 AM »
I'm curious, what kind of legal hoops must you deal with to own those SAA's ?

He has Remington percussion guns.

Offline hellgate

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2024, 12:22:14 PM »
As to differences in Uberti vs Pietta NMAs, I found the Uberti to be noticeably lighter and easier to wield. i.e. more pointable. Euroarms NMAs are even lighter in weight with smaller grips.
"Frontiersman: the only category where you can shoot your wad and play with your balls while tweeking the nipples on a pair of 44s." Canada Bill

Since I have 14+ guns, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of Cap&Ball. Now, that's a COMPLIMENT!

SASS#3302L
REGULATOR
RUCAS#58
Wolverton Mt. Peacekeepers
SCORRS
DGB#29
NRA Life
CASer since 1992

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen