Author Topic: Where's the Black Powder  (Read 3015 times)

Offline Dave T

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 901
Where's the Black Powder
« on: February 10, 2021, 05:32:41 PM »
I get that handguns and shotguns that are suitable for self defense and home protection are unobtainium these days. I also get that factory ammunition has been swept from the shelves in the panic over riots and threats to the 2nd Amendment. What I don't understand is the near complete unavailability of black powder. Why on earth would people be hording that...or is there some new threat I am un-aware of? Inquiring minds want to know.

Dave

Offline OD#3

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Re: Where's the Black Powder
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2021, 05:44:35 PM »
Well, I hadn't realized that BP was also in short supply, but it makes sense.  Due to the ammo shortage, I decided to break out my cap and ball revolvers again but, realizing I was running low on percussion caps, I sought to rectify that only to discover that these were hard to come by as well.  I found only 200 and paid an exorbitant price for them, too.  So I guess everyone else had the same idea I had, only they were low on BP too and bought up all the supply. 

Offline Professor Marvel

• purveyor of useless items to the gentry
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • learn from the past, or be doomed to repeat it
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1118
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2021, 02:57:37 AM »
Over a year of Covid severly affected the supply chain, the raw materials chain, the availability of labor,
and the LGS's desire to stock the stuff.

at powderinc.com we find they have powder and caps and are shiping:

snip---------------------------
Announcement

2F and 3F GOEX Black Powder Stock Update!
We are currently out of 2F GOEX. You can place your backorder for the 2F
GOEX at any time online or by phone. The shipment of 2F GOEX is scheduled for the end of February.

Delayed Shipments
We are currently 2 weeks behind on shipping of ALL orders. We apologize for the delay!
Thank you for being patient with us during this busy time.
endsnip---------------------------

They have 3F Schuetzen 5 lbs for $161.15
they have CCI #10 $132.00 per thousand

prices decrease in larger quantities.
Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:54:21 AM »

Offline Froogal

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3882
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 573
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2021, 08:50:05 AM »
Part of the problem might be with folks like me, who have been thinking of going with black powder for a few years, but finally made the switch when smokeless powder of any variety became unavailable. I got in just under the wire with a couple pounds of Goex 2f, 4 pounds of Goex 3f, and 4 pounds of Old Eynsford. I now have enough powder, both smokeless and black, but I am zeroed out on large pistol primers.

Offline Dick Dastardly

• Master of the Dark Arts - MDA
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Big Lube molds
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2021, 04:09:29 PM »
Buffalo Arms is my favorite supplier.  They are out of stock on FFg and FFFg in all their lables.  They do have a good supply of Fg in a variety of labels.  Fg is fine for shotgun ammo.  Not so good for smaller brass ammo.

DD-MDA
Avid Ballistician in Holy Black
Riverboat Gambler and Wild Side Rambler
Gunfighter Ordinar
Purveyor of Big Lube supplies

Offline OD#3

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2021, 04:52:07 PM »
I guess I really lucked out then.  Several years ago I ordered 25 lbs. from Powder Inc., falsely believing at the time that they only charged a hazmat fee per shipment.  I don't remember exactly what their price was back then for 25 pounds, but the final amount charged to my credit card (over $800) floored me, as it was several hundred more than I'd anticipated and meant that they'd charged me a separate hazmat fee for each pound rather than per shipment.  That was a much bigger hit on the CC than I'd planned for, and it was an anvil around my neck for a few months until I got it paid off.  However, years later, with that credit card bill long paid off, and with an unexpected nationwide shortage of BP, I feel very fortunate, indeed. And that's all it was--just luck.  I've been lousy at stocking up on shooting supplies in anticipation of shortages.  If I'd been prescient, I'd have stocked up in the fall of 2019, and I wouldn't be down to only 2,000 primers and a few hundred percussion caps.  Lead, powder, and cases I have aplenty.  I'm just low on sources of ignition.  Maybe it is time to finish that flintlock project I traded for a couple of years ago...

It is a shame that those of us with an abundance of certain reloading supplies cannot easily cross-level with those who are in need of those and have themselves an abundance of what we are lacking.  Dave, if you and I only lived in the same state, I'd be more than happy to drive over and swap some BP for some primers or caps.  Perhaps there is a way for the folks on this forum to arrange such swaps with members who live near each other? 

Offline wildman1

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 169
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2021, 05:40:45 PM »
45 minutes ago Grafs had BP in stock at normal prices ie about $20 for 1 lb of Goex Old Eynsford.
wM1
I haven't checked but Maine Powder house has always been a good source for BP.
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

Offline Dave T

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 901
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2021, 05:49:54 PM »
Not anymore. (sad face goes here)

Dave

Offline Back Roads

• NCOWS Member
  • Active citizen
  • Making Smoke The Old Way
  • NCOWS #: 3724
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 38
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2021, 08:41:13 PM »
Checked with Maine Powder House yesterday in anticipation of making an order, out of just about everything.  Did get 25 lbs. from Powder Inc.
NRA Life
Shooter of BP, STORM #430
NCOWS, Alabama Bushwhackers
Alabama Gun Collector's Assn. Life

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 360
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2021, 11:18:01 PM »
I guess I really lucked out then.  Several years ago I ordered 25 lbs. from Powder Inc., falsely believing at the time that they only charged a hazmat fee per shipment.  I don't remember exactly what their price was back then for 25 pounds, but the final amount charged to my credit card (over $800) floored me, as it was several hundred more than I'd anticipated and meant that they'd charged me a separate hazmat fee for each pound rather than per shipment.  That was a much bigger hit on the CC than I'd planned for, and it was an anvil around my neck for a few months until I got it paid off.  However, years later, with that credit card bill long paid off, and with an unexpected nationwide shortage of BP, I feel very fortunate, indeed. And that's all it was--just luck.  I've been lousy at stocking up on shooting supplies in anticipation of shortages.  If I'd been prescient, I'd have stocked up in the fall of 2019, and I wouldn't be down to only 2,000 primers and a few hundred percussion caps.  Lead, powder, and cases I have aplenty.  I'm just low on sources of ignition.  Maybe it is time to finish that flintlock project I traded for a couple of years ago...

It is a shame that those of us with an abundance of certain reloading supplies cannot easily cross-level with those who are in need of those and have themselves an abundance of what we are lacking.  Dave, if you and I only lived in the same state, I'd be more than happy to drive over and swap some BP for some primers or caps.  Perhaps there is a way for the folks on this forum to arrange such swaps with members who live near each other?

The price listed includes shipping, you have to click on 25 pound mix and match or whatever but you should have checked because that's not right. You must have somehow made 25 1 pound orders or something because it sounds like you paid about double.

The reenactment group I'm with bought a case last year and I think it was around 400 I remember them saying.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Offline Ranch 13

• Top Active Citizen
    • Historic Shooting.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2021, 08:36:32 AM »
 I think the good Professor has it nailed. With the shutdowns manufacturing etc has been slowed to a crawl. Looking at Powder inc's web page it would appear Goex is going to be shipping towards the end of this month.
 I just got a case of OE from Bear River Powder, and it worked out just short of 23$ delivered.

Od3 you probably should of got on the horn when that bill came in and got it straightened up with Powder Inc, Because something must of went terribly wrong in the processing of your credit card.
Eat more beef the west wasn't won on a salad.

Offline ira scott

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • AKA: Broken Nose Scotty
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 59
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2021, 11:41:10 AM »
Od3 you probably should of got on the horn when that bill came in and got it straightened up with Powder Inc, Because something must of went terribly wrong in the processing of your credit card.

Agreed!   I ordered 25lbs. from Buffalo Arms last Spring and the HazMat fee was 25$ for the shipment, not by the pound.

B.N.Scotty
It is far better to remain silent, and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt!

Offline OD#3

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2021, 07:06:49 PM »
Well, the news about my ridiculously large bill for 25 pounds from Powder Inc. is both a relief and an aggravation that I didn't make inquiries with them back when it would have been pertinent.  Too late now.  At least I know that it won't be that big a hit next time (whenever that will be).  Thanks for the info, guys.

Offline Capt Quirk

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Smoke Wagon Leather Works
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2021, 08:02:47 AM »
It's only too late, if you never call. Most "reputable" dealers will fix a mistake.

Offline Blackpowder Burn

• Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Lightning
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2021, 05:55:43 PM »
Powder Inc has long been my regular supplier and have been great folks to work with.  Their prices on the website are all inclusive - they include Hazmat and shipping.  Best prices and service I've found.
SUBLYME AND HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT
Learned Brother at Armes

Offline OD#3

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2021, 10:45:07 AM »
Welp, I looked at my BP supply and found that I had well over 25 lbs. left.  That didn't make any sense, so I pulled up that old order confirmation in my email, and what do you know?  I'd bought 50 lbs. that day--half 2f and half 3f of Olde Eynsford.  I very much remember being surprised at the total back then, but it obviously was some sort of miscalculation I was making as I put-together the order.  The total was $869.99 which, back in May of 2015 was actually a pretty good price--$17.40/pound, tax, hazmat, and shipping included.  That much BP would cost over $1,150 today.  So rather than my experience being one about feeling lucky to have an adequate supply even though I overpaid, mine is about feeling extremely lucky to have an abundance of BP at a price unavailable to day.  I normally wouldn't post something like that to anyone's post about low supplies.  I hate it when people reply to ammunition supply shortage posts with comments like, "You should have stocked up when you had the chance like I did, because I have hundredths of thousands of......"  But my original reply to the OP was unfair to Powder Inc.  So I needed to correct that.

Offline ira scott

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2021, 11:46:08 AM »
Very good of you to clear that up! 

B.N.Scotty
It is far better to remain silent, and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt!

Offline Professor Marvel

• purveyor of useless items to the gentry
  • Top Active Citizen
  • learn from the past, or be doomed to repeat it
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1118
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2021, 04:01:12 PM »
Ah My Good OD3

It is good that you figured that out, and that you actually have enough.

I frequently have done that ( have frequently done? ) with stuff from the store I forgot we already have.
I think I have 5 stacks of 500 paper plates...
And I have done similar stuff with mail orders-
thank gawd we save all reciepts ... and probably other stuff that ought to be tossed :-0

welcome to the world of "short attention span theater"

I frequently have to call my own cell phone to see where I left it.

praise be to panasonic, the wireless house phones have a "find button"

I am already ready to get a portable "find buton" and put the  remote  beeper on my coffee cup!
    (is that too many ready's ? )

Fortunately I have so many pair of glasses it doesn't matter much if i misplace one... or four ...

yhs
prof lost and found
Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

Offline ira scott

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2021, 04:19:01 PM »
Professor Marvel,  is it legal or possible without blowing one's self to Kingdom Come to make black powder?  I saw Eustis and Percy do it on Mountain Men (Reality? TV)  so it must be possible?

B.N.Scotty

Offline Russ T Chambers

• Littlest ol' fart Cowboy in Nevada Territory
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Well preserved for my age!
  • SASS #: 262
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2021, 07:22:16 PM »
Ira

When I was a kid (10-12 years old) my friends and I made our own gun powder!  We would get charcoal, and fertilizer (finely ground with a hammer and metal plate) from whoever had an ample supply in their garage or storage shed.  The only thing we had to buy was the sulfur.  Luckily (??) we all had the metal cased chemistry sets with all sorts of chemicals.  Somehow well all seemed to be running out of this one chemical an awful lot!

I don’t remember the recipe we used, but when loaded into a piece of half inch thin wall conduit with the ends crimped over and a fuse hole drilled in the side, it made short work of the fire in the 55 gal. oil drums people in those times used to burn their trash.

I guess God does look out for little kids and idiots!!!

By the way I didn’t mention that the fuse hole was drilled after the piece was completed!!!

I guess we survived because the hole was drilled with a rotary hand cranked drill.  Our parents all thought power drills were too dangerous for us to have access to.
Russ T. Chambers
Roop County Cowboy Shooters Association
SASS Lifer/Regulator #262
WartHog
SBSS #1441
IPSAC
CRPA Lifer 
NSRPA Lifer
NRA Benefactor Member
Brother of the Arrow

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com