Author Topic: Black powder and Pyrodex comparison  (Read 22523 times)

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 360
Re: Black powder and Pyrodex comparison
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2017, 07:45:49 AM »
I've certainly had enough experience with both to know the difference. Professors posts just explain why and are very informative.

I was given some 44-40 ammo an aquaintance had loaded with pyrodex and I've been shooting it up gradually in one of my older revolvers.

Just a couple days ago I recleaned that revolver after shooting some of the pyrodex loads and giving it a quick cleaning but thinking it would be good enough. After a couple days the gun had a salty residue growing in the barrel, cylinders and around the frame area.

Another gun that had been shot the same day with black powder and handled the exact same way looks spotless.

Mr. Daly must have no personal experience and/or is very bias considering who he works for. Regarding the NASA statement the same engineers must be the ones responsible for the faulty O ring on space shuttle challenger.

But I guess I'm one of those "experts" that he is putting down. I'm very inclined to write Hodgdon a letter asking how they would like us so called "experts" he is insulting just take our business elsewhere whenever possible.

I do believe an actual side by side experiment is in order and photos or video to prove it.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Offline Ranch 13

• Top Active Citizen
    • Historic Shooting.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2017, 08:13:25 AM »
I do find it interesting that Goex was working on and getting very close to getting sporting grade blackpowder removed from the explosive designation  so it could be handled , shipped and stored just like smokeless... After the Hogdon buy out, that all went away...Along with the people that worked for Goex, that did the testing of powders, and most of the longtime Goex employees are gone...
Eat more beef the west wasn't won on a salad.

Offline Ben Beam

• SASS Affiliated Merchant (#105892)
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Ben Beam & Co. -- Old West Ephemera
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2017, 10:05:49 AM »
If I can find a jar of actual BP, I’ll try and figure out a way to do some tests.
Ben Beam & Co. -- Bringing You a New Old West -- Reproduction Old West Ephemera for re-enactors, living historians, set dressing, chuckwagons, props, or just for fun!
http://www.BenBeam.com

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 09:30:01 AM »

Offline Ranch 13

• Top Active Citizen
    • Historic Shooting.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2017, 10:55:37 AM »
You may find it better, to bite the bullet and just get a 5 lb order from Powder Inc, Grafs, or Buffalo Arms. That way you can get a good variety of brands of powder to try.
Eat more beef the west wasn't won on a salad.

Offline Bunk Stagnerg

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2017, 03:16:16 PM »
Consider that as easy as real Black Powder (AKA Gun Powder) is to get, where it is legal to have, and as easy is APP is to get and how relatively benign  the residue of APP is and it is as easy to clean as real gun powder. Personally I  see no reason to risk damage to the bore using any other substitute for Gun Powder.
That is my 2 cents worth and I would rather shoot a stainless steel ball and clean with battery acid than use the "P" product.
But it is your gun you can destroy it as you like.
Y' Obt' Svt' Bunk

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2017, 02:35:38 PM »
My first official Duty.... I edited for thread shift...and lock the sticky.
when planets align...do the deal !

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com