Author Topic: Need a new arbor for 1862 Police model  (Read 1519 times)

Offline Gundogblue

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Need a new arbor for 1862 Police model
« on: June 28, 2021, 01:34:47 AM »
Well I’m ashamed to even post  this as it’s ALL MY FAULT,  I got a new never fired 1862 Uberti Police model, I was going to shoot it today so I took it apart to clean any oil in the barrel and cylinder. It was really hard to come apart, and even harder to get back together but I figured it’s a new gun and sometimes that happens. I couldn’t  get the wedge all the way in so I got a plastic mallet and tried to drive the wedge in but no matter how much I tried I couldn’t get the wedge all the way in. When I took it apart again I noticed the arbor was bent so I tried to straighten it out, but I just made it worse so now I need to order a new arbor and have the local smith instal it. My question is I paid $329.00 for the gun, is it worth fixing? I have no idea how much Ubertis gonna charge for the arbor or how much the gunsmith is gonna charge to put it in ?  Hell for all I know Uberti my have to order that part from Italy as I’m sure those things  ain’t in big demand, any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Paul

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
Re: Need a new arbor for 1862 Police model
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2021, 04:59:50 AM »
Call VTI  - though you might email
they are Uberti's USA parts distributer .

The hardest part is drilling out the lock pin

VTI Replica Gun Parts
PO Box 509
Lakeville CT 06039
USA
Phone -860-435-8068
Fax -860-435-8146
Email - mail@vtigunparts.com

UB:070021

Uberti Base Pin (1862, 1848, 1849)
Price
$23.50

you will also need the lock pin
UB:070028

Uberti Cylinder Lock Pin (1862, 1848, 1849)

$2.95

Granted it will cost you some "live & learn money"  ::) we've all been there
but if you don't repair it all you have have is a 3 piece  $329.00 paper weight

good luck ...one of the gun plumbers here may help you out ....a particular old, cranky one of my acquaintance if he isn't to far retired  ;D comes to mind  ....
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2021, 08:55:32 AM »

:)  Hi Maj 2   :D

:)  Also Hi to Gundogblue  ;)

Well Gundogblue, you have discovered Uberti manufacturers really nice "KITS."  After you get them home and out of the Box, the actual "fitting" of the parts starts.  I am in fact VERY retired, but I'll suggest you give a shout to 45 Dragoon at Goonsgunworks.  Should be able to fix ya right up.

Major 2 . . . "Old,  Cranky ???"  I'll have you know I resemble that !!!!

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:03:35 AM »

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2021, 09:35:11 AM »
Hmmmmmmmmm...

Though I have indeed used the services of all mentioned

I then might offer the name Cartridge Conversions  ( Gary Barnes )  https://cartridgeconversion.com/
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline 45 Dragoon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 123
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2021, 11:18:57 AM »
Awesome!!!   Apparently only a few are "perfect"  and as a matter of fact, I have a specimen from the last mentioned in the shop as I type!! Lol!!

So, thank you Coffinmaker for the recommendation, I sincerely appreciate it.

Gundogblue, you can email me or send a PM here and I will be happy to give you a "diy" or what I can offer.

Mike

Just for an addition, I just finished correcting 2 loose arbors in revolvers that were "tuned" by yet another "tuner" (not anyone mentioned here) with the arbors loose in them!!!! Holy cow !!
www.goonsgunworks.com
Follow me on Instagram @goonsgunworks

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2021, 03:57:02 PM »

It's amazing, the number of people who think because they can get a Colt Pattern open top apart and back together, it's makes 'em a Gunsmith.  Sort of like "I can change my spark plugs so now I'm a Mechanic."

The only knowledge some them have, is an Arbor is something you hang Grape Vines from.  What Schmucks.

Offline 45 Dragoon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2021, 04:51:30 PM »
Yessir!! I hear ya!!

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com

Offline Gundogblue

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2021, 04:18:11 PM »
I want to thank you all for the advice and offers to help, but after this self inflicted fiasco
I’m thinking the better part of valor is what I did, and that’s take the gun to the smith.
He’s pretty sure he can straighten it out, but if not he’ll just order a new arbor and pin.
He pretty much told me what you guys have said that he’s seen a lot of both Uberti and
Pietta’ s with problems right out of the box. That’s a shame, I have a Heritage Big Bore .45 made by Pietta, and an Uberti Cattleman Birds head revolver and they’re both really nice guns, no probs with either one, and I’ve read nothing but good about the Uberti leaver guns. Evidently they must not care much when it comes to their cap and ball revolvers.
Paul

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2021, 06:01:43 PM »
Read some of the sites reporting problems with Ruger New Vaqueros.  It ain't just the Italians.

Offline 45 Dragoon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2021, 06:21:10 PM »
Gundogblue,  because I'm speaking from  " poison waters",   I'm sorry you went through this but your "Smith" may not even be aware of  how to fix your revolver . That said, hopefully you will get some correction from your guy.  He too can call me and I would be happy to "fill him in" on what is needed.

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 360
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2021, 08:54:47 AM »
I want to thank you all for the advice and offers to help, but after this self inflicted fiasco
I’m thinking the better part of valor is what I did, and that’s take the gun to the smith.
He’s pretty sure he can straighten it out, but if not he’ll just order a new arbor and pin.
He pretty much told me what you guys have said that he’s seen a lot of both Uberti and
Pietta’ s with problems right out of the box. That’s a shame, I have a Heritage Big Bore .45 made by Pietta, and an Uberti Cattleman Birds head revolver and they’re both really nice guns, no probs with either one, and I’ve read nothing but good about the Uberti leaver guns. Evidently they must not care much when it comes to their cap and ball revolvers.
Paul

"Pretty sure he can straighten it out?" Hopefully your smith will know how to actually "fix" it and not just replace the arbor but I very much doubt it. I guarantee on a Uberti the arbor length will be wrong.

If you are not more than "Pretty sure" I would take Mike up on his offer and send it to him and you will have a top of the line revolver when it comes back to you. You came on here asking for advice and that is the best advice you can get.

Most common gun plumbers don't have a clue how to make a Colt style open top right, after all Uberti the manufacturer doesn't even know how they are supposed to be.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com