Author Topic: 1860 experiment  (Read 1822 times)

Offline Kent Shootwell

• Top Active Citizen
  • Got whiskey, will stumble.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 22
1860 experiment
« on: February 03, 2021, 11:44:31 AM »
I've done a lot of tinkering with this Pietta 1860 and today tested the latest. I reduced the barrel cylinder gap from the factory .010" to .0025" to see if how fouling would be affected. After 18 shots the pistols action is just as easy as before firing at all. I hadn't brought enough components to continue but will in the future. At fifteen yards from a rest the impact is different then off hand but the group shows promise. Off hand the pistol shot to point of aim but my groups are a bit larger. Load is 30 grains of 3f Goex a soft felt wad soaked in SPG, .454" ball and Remington #10 caps. This adjustment required some machine work and re adjusting the wedge fit to compensate for moving the barrel back. This is the first six shots, not only no problems with fouling but the groups are smaller.
IMG_0290 by Oliver Sudden, on Flickr
Little powder much lead shoots far kills dead.
Member, whiskey livers
AKA Phil Coffins, AKA Oliver Sudden

Online 45 Dragoon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 123
Re: 1860 experiment
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2021, 12:52:36 PM »
Yap!! Been preachin "close tolerances" for years!!!

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com
Follow me on Instagram @goonsgunworks

Offline Kent Shootwell

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2021, 02:19:36 PM »
Yes, Mike you get most of the credit, that and also the original Colt that I’m working on. Your answers to many of us have been very helpful.
Member, whiskey livers

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 11:13:36 AM »

Online 45 Dragoon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2021, 08:36:57 PM »
Thank you sir!!

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com

Offline Froogal

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3882
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 573
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2021, 08:29:33 AM »
Very interesting.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2021, 09:07:23 AM »

Velly Interestink (Stolen famous TV line).  I can actually see where the close tolerance wis workable.  The Idea is to prevent fouling in the first place.  Getting the Chamber mouth closer to the Barrel Breach just might accomplish that.  Much easier to accomplish with a Uberti (abominable Arbor fit) than with Pietta.

May have to look into it.  Nah.  I just plain don't like Uberti.

Stay Safe out There

Online 45 Dragoon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2021, 10:28:26 AM »
Velly Interestink (Stolen famous TV line).  I can actually see where the close tolerance wis workable.  The Idea is to prevent fouling in the first place.  Getting the Chamber mouth closer to the Barrel Breach just might accomplish that.  Much easier to accomplish with a Uberti (abominable Arbor fit) than with Pietta.

May have to look into it.  Nah.  I just plain don't like Uberti.

Stay Safe out There

Understand but, the same can be achieved with Piettas just by dressing the "too long" arbor they have!  Makes it very easy to zero in on a nice .0025" - .003" bbl /cyl clearance (endshake to us "insiders" hehe) um .  .  .  uh .  .  . so, therefore you end up with a tight bbl /cyl and a cap gun that'll run all day and be a much much cleaner revolver overall when the day is done!!  Send that stuff down the pipe !!!! Lol !!!

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com

Offline Kent Shootwell

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2021, 11:18:32 AM »
I won’t pretend to understand the science of why it works but to expand on the details of what I did the face of the cylinder had a clear spiral machine mark that I didn’t like. A piece of 320 grit wet or dry placed on a flat surface allowed me to do figure eight lapping to  smooth and flatten that. When the barrel assembly was set back it came out to tight so the Brownells piloted barrel facing tool was used to set the gap. Then the 11 degree forcing cone tool made a minimum cut that put everything in line.
Some might notice the fouling on the barrel in the photo, that I believe is in large part due to the pistol being cradled in a leather sand bag. It will never be the same after the experience!  ::)
Member, whiskey livers

Online 45 Dragoon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2021, 01:02:51 PM »
Yessir!!! Fig.8 !!!  Follow with a clockwise or counterclockwise (take  your pick) spin on some 1200 grit paper for a nice shiny "finished" look and viola or wah lah!!!   By George, I think you've got it!!!

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2021, 02:45:22 PM »

:)  Ah . . Not Quite   ;)

To reduce the Barrel to Cylinder Gap on a Pietta, one would have to dress back the Arbor, creating the Same Same problem with the Uberti, then Dress Back the Lower end of the Barrel lug to keep the barrel "square" and in line with the chambers.  Then re-fit the wedge and . . . . . .

Not worth the effort.  I can shoot all month by simply wiping down the Barrel Face when I reload.  5 Seconds.  Piffling.

Oh, and bye the bye, the Pietta Arbor isn't "too long."  The fitment of the Arbor to the Barrel is correct as is the Bore alignment.  Fitting the wedge is du rigger.

Stay Safe Out There

Online 45 Dragoon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2021, 04:16:04 PM »
Yep, absolutely!! Lol!!!

To close a .006" bbl/ cyl clearance down to .003" takes maybe .00125" at the arbor!   The barrel lug /frame butt joint is the constant (fulcrum), the arbor length is the adjustable piece for the subsequent bbl /cyl  number.  Your explanation is somewhat overblown for current Pietta examples. Uberti's fitment is a "meet what's there" situation. Some ancient open tops with huge endshake may need forcing cone  to cyl face "correction" but that's fairly rare.  As far as wedge fitting goes, making it "adjustable " is "du rigger"! ;)

Mike

Oh, the dressing of the cyl face was for getting rid of the machine marks Mr. KS was speaking of. I was agreeing with him on the " fig.8" technique and just added the polishing step that I use on cartridge open tops as well as the top end "custom" Outlaw Mule services.

www.goonsgunworks.com

Offline Rooster Ron Wayne

• Rooster
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Lube your Balls & Cap your Nipples ~ Just Sayin !
  • SASS #: 86029
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2021, 11:29:21 PM »
The Goon ( Mike ) Has done several guns for me over the years .
Mike's work is always top notch.
With tight tolerance's .
And let me tell you .
They Run !
Rooster.
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you:
1. Jesus Christ
2. The American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom."

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com