Author Topic: looking to buy the armi-sport 56-50  (Read 2005 times)

Offline sixtus

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
looking to buy the armi-sport 56-50
« on: May 08, 2019, 08:14:18 AM »
Hi gents, nice forum!
I was interested in getting one of these but having read a few reports, heard quality out of the box can be as low as only 30% being functional? Are they really this bad? I find it hard to believe at that cost they would be that bad. I ask as I am not much of a tinkerer, matching a good loaded length to the gun is about the most I get into it. If something requires continual tweaking between shoots or advanced reloading, I'm out.

Anyway had another couple quick questions apart from cowboy use too.

For hunting can the twist handle a 400+ grain bullet?
What pressures are the rifles rated at? Couldn't find the info anywhere. Not asking to try and turn the gun into a 50 alaskan but was interested if they can go a little higher than the standard 1200fps  with 350 grain.

Thanks for any quick answers, I am still absorbing as much as I can through searches :)

Offline Two Flints

• Spencer Shooting Society Founder & Moderator
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Moderating SSS IS a "Labor of Love"!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Re: looking to buy the armi-sport 56-50
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2019, 09:34:54 AM »
Sixtus,

You mention all the tinkering that might be needed to get a reproduction Spencer to shoot "properly."  Have you considered purchasing an original Spencer Carbine?  Original Spencer Carbines appear online all the time such as this one:
http://www.shilohrelics.com/cgi-bin/Display_Item.asp?120783

I own both reproduction and original Spencer Carbines . . . it just seems "nicer" shooting a gun that REALLY was involved in our Heritage and history.

Two Flints

Una mano lava l'altra
Moderating SSS is a "labor of love"
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
Spencer Shooting Society Moderator
Spencer Shooting Society (SSS) #4;
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Fur Trade Era - Mountain Man
Traditional Archery

Offline El Supremo

• kevintinny@hotmail.com
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2019, 05:26:58 PM »
Hello, Sixtus:

The Armisport/Chiappa Owner Manual, which can be downloaded, contains info that requires only commercially loaded ammunition that conforms to European Union or SAAMI specifications for the 56-50 cartridge.  SAAMI's latest 56-50 specifications are no longer available.  The EU ones are open to interpretation.  There have been commercial 56-50 ammo providers, but you will have to locate one.  That can be tough.

As Taylors told me: "If one uses handloads, they are on their own."

Black powder loads of slightly compressed 3Fg and a 350gr. bullet achieve roughly 900 -1,000fps.
I doubt using a heavier or longer than 350gr bullet would allow 35gr 3Fg, so  velocity should be less, presuming the round would feed.

There are some threads here that include smokeless powder loads and velocities.  Launching a 450gr bullet at 1200fps puts it into the 45-70 recoil range.  Stout for sure.

One alternative to tinkering might be to offer to buy a fully functional one from a member, here.

The 24" twist should work with the heavier bullet, if velocity can be achieved. 

Just my respectful, two-cent opinion:
Trying to make a Civil War, black powder design into something it was not, nor could be upgraded into after the War may be pushing the limits.

All the best,
El Supremo/Kevin Tinny

Pay attention to that soft voice in your head.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:55:43 PM »

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 634
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2019, 07:00:40 PM »
:
Trying to make a Civil War, black powder design into something it was not, nor could be upgraded into after the War may be pushing the limits.

Wise words. Hear him.

CC Griff
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Offline sixtus

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2019, 04:20:38 AM »
thanks fellas, some clarification as I should have put it in my profile. I am in Australia, authentic models won't be easy to find....

I am a big fan of the US civil war hardware and later western era guns. Australia had a lot of lever and sixguns imported to us in those days as we were running our own wild west, or wild everywhere to be precise, some regions were still settling things with guns into the 1930's. Then we got a whole lot less wild over the next 70 years and let the government take half our guns, go figure.

I always fancied the spencers as they are so archaic and different. As to turning it into something it isn't, good advice, but I was more just wondering what the modern versions were pressure rated for.

Its dissappointing some of the threads I am reading on quality though. Its difficult to pull the trigger on this deal if there is a good chance I may be left with a dud.

Chiappa/Armi Italy always make me shake my head. They have such grand concepts and reproductions but their price tag is not always indicative of the QC. How many guns have they done this to now?  You'd think they would at least be able to manage  the same quality the Italian shotgun manufacturers achieve.

Offline Two Flints

• Spencer Shooting Society Founder & Moderator
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Moderating SSS IS a "Labor of Love"!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2019, 05:59:32 AM »
Sixtus,

Send a Personal Message to Herbert, also from Australia, and one of the experts on Armi Sport Spencers  HERE on SSS.   He knows his stuff.

Two Flints

Una mano lava l'altra
Moderating SSS is a "labor of love"
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
Spencer Shooting Society Moderator
Spencer Shooting Society (SSS) #4;
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Fur Trade Era - Mountain Man
Traditional Archery

Offline Blair

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2019, 12:37:08 PM »
sixtus,

I have never been pleased with the Armisport/Chiappa reproduction of US Civil War production of firearms.
I got a chance to evaluate an 1861 Springfield of theirs back in 1989 or 1990, at their request. I pointed out some things that I thought they should correct to make them better. I can't say that they ever did anything to try and correct the problems I suggested should be corrected.
One thing I have seen with reproductions is that you an always see reports of problems or issues various folks are having 100% of the time on various forums. When no one has a problem, you never hear a word.
How does that relate to the actual numbers produced??? I could say.

My best,
 Blair
A Time for Prayer.
"In times of war and not before,
God and the soldier we adore.
But in times of peace and all things right,
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted"
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2019, 06:09:59 PM »
The nature of the internet: Everyone complains, no one praises.  I know several folks with Chiappa Spencers, with no problems.  I'd say it's more like 1 in 10 myself.  Now, that's serious problems that prevent usage of the rifle.  That does not include things like overly heavy triggers, loose barrel bands, sloppy wood fit,  things that annoy but still allow usage of the rifle.

I have two Chiappas, one a .56-50 Spencer with a VERY heavy trigger that needed tuning, but otherwise was fine, and a .50-70 Sharps carbine with a great trigger (good day in the shop) and a loose barrel band that needed a shim.  I'm happy with both.
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline sixtus

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2019, 01:18:27 AM »
Thanks Two Flint I emailed him. Hopefully I am being overly critical folks, would really like to get my hands on one of these! Aussies tend to be pretty critical of gear, probably because it can be a long way to ship things back and forth and a lot of legal paperwork of the gun needs fixing.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com