Author Topic: Nebraska Muster  (Read 2790 times)

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
Nebraska Muster
« on: August 11, 2023, 10:36:17 AM »
Got a date?
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline ira scott

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • AKA: Broken Nose Scotty
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 60
Re: Nebraska Muster
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2023, 11:45:13 AM »
Should be the 15th of October, the first Saturday after our last monthly Cowboy Shoot.

I'm sure Jack will confirm,  B.N. Scotty
It is far better to remain silent, and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt!

Offline Niederlander

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2023, 04:20:49 PM »
I thought it was supposed to be the 21st, but as you said, Jack will fill us in.
"There go those Nebraskans, and all hell couldn't stop them!"

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:49:45 PM »

Offline ira scott

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2023, 05:29:08 PM »
The GAF Shoot has historically been the Saturday after the last BRR Cowboy Shoot, which is the second Sunday of the month. This year the 1st of October is Sunday, so the 2nd Sunday is the 8th. 

99% sure the Muster will be Saturday October 14th

B.N. Scotty
It is far better to remain silent, and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt!

Offline Quick Fire

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2023, 07:34:59 PM »
Ned, Scotty is correct. I told you wrong because it usually is the 3rd Saturday but not this year. Sorry about the confusion . October 14 is the Nebraska  muster
QuickFire                                 Lt. Colonel, Division of Nebraska                                                                                                                                                                          GRAND ARMY of the FRONTIER                                                         
NCOWS 1717

Offline Niederlander

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2023, 08:52:44 PM »
No problem!

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2023, 04:55:28 PM »
YAY! I think I can get off that weekend. Iowa Muster is out for me, can't get anyone to cover the last two weekends in Sept, but as far as I know, oct 14 may be open.

Offline Sam Perfye

• Top Active Citizen
  • Al Weaver
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2023, 06:42:58 PM »
Looking forward to this match. Going back to the one true powder, this new-fangled smokeless stuff just won't catch on. The division of Iowa will be there.
Raise the Black Flag and ride hard boys, Our cause is just and our enemies our many.

Online Hair Trigger Jim

• Top Active Citizen
  • GAF #: 914
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2023, 07:38:54 PM »
I am planning to be a GAF member by then and may try to join you.  It sounds like fun.  I picked up a Swiss Vetterli 1869/71 earlier this year (before I even knew about the GAF), but I doubt it will be a centerfire by then, so I'll have to figure out something else.  Maybe a forager?

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 474
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2023, 11:54:32 PM »
Enjoy shooting your Vetterli.
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Online Hair Trigger Jim

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2023, 07:42:52 AM »
I did a search for "Vetterli" on this site and read about every post that mentioned it.  It looks like you've had a lot of fun with yours!  At some point I may post a thread with a bunch of questions.  Do you still load Trail Boss for it?

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2023, 10:40:58 AM »
I did a search for "Vetterli" on this site and read about every post that mentioned it.  It looks like you've had a lot of fun with yours!  At some point I may post a thread with a bunch of questions.  Do you still load Trail Boss for it?

Although I no longer have the Vetterli, Trail Boss was the only powder I ever used in it.
I'll be honest I had tons of fun during the time I shot it. Researching, working up loads, etc. But after awhile the novelty wore off with every woods walk stage. It was heavy and cumbersome, and I began to long for a carbine to traipse up and down the countryside with.

I'd be happy to answer any questions, if my experience with it could help.

I do still love the awkward beauty of the beast. And what was important for me when building up my persona for GAF was Vetterlis were documented in use on the Nebraska Sandhills. Read "Old Jules", by Mari Sandoz.
In there she relates the story about when her father lost his Vetterli, or it was stolen, and he had put the word out amongst the native tribes he was friendly with, and finally they sent word they had recovered it for him. When he went to retrieve it turns out it was not his but another Vetterli belonging to someone else that the Indians had recovered.. So documented at least two Vetterlis in use on the plains of Nebraska.
The Nebraska State Historical Society has Jules' Vetterli in their collection and it is cataloged.
The story goes that Sandoz would sponsor Swiss immigrants to emigrate to Nebraska and may have had a little side business selling used Vetterlis to these pioneers.

In Switzerland, after active duty, veterans were allowed to keep their long arms as a reserve to be called up in time of need. There were lots of used Vetterlis floating around on the surplus firearm market. I have somewhere a copy of an ammunition box label for Vetterli cartridges that were manufactured by a U.S. firm, so the rifle must have been common enough in order to justify offering them to the public. 

A perfect sidearm to go with it would be either a cap 'n' ball conversion revolver, or an unaltered black powder pistol with a Kirst Konverter cylinder.

"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline ira scott

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2023, 10:54:37 AM »
I am planning to be a GAF member by then and may try to join you.  It sounds like fun.  I picked up a Swiss Vetterli 1869/71 earlier this year (before I even knew about the GAF), but I doubt it will be a centerfire by then, so I'll have to figure out something else.  Maybe a forager?

Handgunner is another, and IMHO more fun option. (also easier on props)

B.N. Scotty

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2023, 11:16:11 AM »
Funny story, at the Muster in Kansas where the photo was taken, I had enough misses during the match that on the last stage I ran out of ammunition and had to fix bayonet to dispatch the hostiles on the point of the bayonet.

It was at the three day match at the Berger Sharpshooter's range in Texas that I shot the long range side match with my Vetterli. That was a hoot. And the Vetterli came up missing for three days. Got back to Nebraska and realized it had been sitting out in the bed of Broken Nose Scotty's pick-up for all that time and I had forgotten I put it there. Sat there exposed out in the open all that time. (Shout out to Broken Nose for his help catching unspent cartridges from the Vetterli as I ejected them after my time was up, and giving the rifle an exciting three-day adventure ride in the back of his vehicle . . .
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Online Hair Trigger Jim

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2023, 05:29:41 PM »
That is an imposing rifle with the bayonet mounted.  I don't have a bayonet, but then I'm guessing Old Jules didn't either.  (I ran across his story while reading about Vetterlis, but I haven't read the book yet.)  Maybe I should stage a pitchfork or a shovel to use if I run out of ammo? 

Of course, I'd love to pick up a bayonet myself, but if I'm going to buy much of anything more I'm going to have to sell off some gear first!

Online Hair Trigger Jim

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2023, 05:33:32 PM »
Handgunner is another, and IMHO more fun option. (also easier on props)

B.N. Scotty

Good to know about the easier on props.  I could do handgunner, although I'd have to load up a bunch more .44-40 first, and do a bunch more target practice first!  I only have one revolver that would pass muster, and I'm far from a crack pistoleer.

By the way, what's the best way to ask about the legality of certain firearms for a GAF muster?  Post in the Barracks, or PM somebody?  (In this case, who?)

Offline Niederlander

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2023, 05:53:52 PM »
You may want to check the allowed weapons thread at the top.  I think Drydock has covered most of them.  If it's not listed, just ask!

Offline Niederlander

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2023, 05:55:23 PM »
I should have said it's in the GAF Regulations page.

Online Hair Trigger Jim

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2023, 12:20:15 PM »
Thanks.  I think that answers some of my questions but I'm not 100% on all of them, so I'll probably post over there for clarification.

Offline Niederlander

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2023, 04:33:06 PM »
Drydock is the one to ask.  He's the Ordnance Dude.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com