Author Topic: A little something from Hungary, called goulash  (Read 3392 times)

Offline Oregon Bill

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 153
A little something from Hungary, called goulash
« on: January 13, 2019, 11:23:43 AM »
Hungarian immigrants have been a part of our nation's history from the start; Michael de Kovats founded the U.S. Cavalry at the time of the Revolution, and there has always been a steady trickle of "Magyars" and an occasional spurt. The great patriot Lajos Kossuth gave a well-received speaking tour in the early 1850s, such that my great-great-grandfather was Louis Kossuth Powell. He later served on the Ohio Supreme Court.
This wonderful dish has very likely graced the hearths of many a homestead in the Midwest -- and satisfied tired travelers lucky enough to stumble on a restaurant or tavern that served it. Once you taste this, you will never, ever be remotely satisfied with the abomination using ground beef and noodles that many Americans have been hoodwinked to believe is goulash.

Székely Gulyás
I have made a traditional Transylvanian Goulash -- Székely Gulyás -- using this recipe, taken from the Hungarian chapter of "Cooking of Vienna's Empire," Time-Life Foods of the World series. It is a real crowd pleaser -- I mean be prepared for food rioting, seriously. Serve it over fresh-made spätzle if you really want to wow the crowd. I'll bet it would be enhanced by using fresh feral pork.

To serve 4 to 6:

1 pound sauerkraut, fresh, canned or packaged
2 tablespoons lard
1 cup finely chopped onions
1/4 teaspoon finely chopped garlic
2 tablespoons sweet Hungarian paprika
3 cups chicken stock or water
2 pounds boneless shoulder of pork, cut into 1-inch cubes
1.5 teaspoons caraway seeds
1/4 cup tomato puree
Salt
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup heavy cream
2 tablespoons flour

Wash the sauerkraut thoroughly under cold running water, then soak it in cold water for 10 to 20 minutes to reduce its sourness. Melt the lard in a 5-quart casserole and add the onions. Cook them over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, for 6 to 8 minutes, or until they are lightly colored, then add the garlic and cook a minute or 2 longer. Off the heat, stir in the paprika, continuing to stir until the onions are well coated. Pour in ½ cup of the stock or water and bring it to a boil, then add the pork cubes.

Now spread the sauerkraut over the pork and sprinkle it with the caraway seeds. In a small bowl, combine the tomato puree and the rest of the stock or water, and pour the mixture over the sauerkraut. Bring the liquid to a boil once more, then reduce the heat to its lowest point, cover the casserole tightly and simmer for 1 hour. Check every now and then to make sure the liquid has not cooked away. Add a little stock or water if it has; the sauerkraut should be moist.

When the pork is tender, combine the sour cream and heavy cream in a mixing bowl. Beat the flour into the cream with a wire whisk, then carefully stir this mixture into the casserole. Simmer for 10 minutes longer. Taste for seasoning. Serve "Transylvanian goulash" in deep individual plates, accompanied by a bowl of sour cream.

Offline Oregon Bill

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: A little something from Hungary, called goulash
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2019, 12:57:16 PM »
Just realized this would be a natural for a dutch oven.

:D

Offline Mogorilla

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3306
  • GAF #: 883
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 95
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2019, 12:24:45 PM »
sounds tasty.    Years ago had a group of friends that included Hungarians and Romanians that were fresh off the boat so to say.  Funniest story was when one of the Hungarian couples had gone to a café here in the Midwest.  They saw goulash on the menu and ordered it.   The look of sheer horror/disgust on their faces as described the hamburger/tomato/macaroni dish they were served still makes me roll in laughter.   

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:29:55 AM »

Offline Oregon Bill

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2019, 02:06:23 PM »
That's the nasty one I grew up with, Mogorilla. This redeems all past sin!

;)

Offline Mogorilla

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2019, 03:07:28 PM »
yup, they would throw dinner parties and I ate some fabulous Hungarian and Romanian dishes.    Funny thing to me is how similar this is to my family's cabbage rolls.   We cooked the cabbage rolls in tomatoes, chopped onions, chopped garlic, paprika, chicken stock, caraway seeds and tomato paste.   If the cabbage roll filling did not have rice and pork, it had kraut and pork.   Often topped with sour cream and chives.   Family originated in Baden region (both sides) and both grandmothers fixed it the same.    Now I am officially HUNGRY (Oh, a pun, sorry, sort of)

Offline Tascosa Joe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 2770
  • NCOWS #: L-168
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2019, 06:36:47 AM »
sounds tasty.    Years ago had a group of friends that included Hungarians and Romanians that were fresh off the boat so to say.  Funniest story was when one of the Hungarian couples had gone to a café here in the Midwest.  They saw goulash on the menu and ordered it.   The look of sheer horror/disgust on their faces as described the hamburger/tomato/macaroni dish they were served still makes me roll in laughter.   
I can identify with those folks, although I kind of like the hamburger stuff, when I was in Romania several years ago, we were in a restaurant and the waiter asked if I wanted corn bread with my rabbit.  I said yes, when the food was delivered the "corn bread" was runny polenta which I hate.
NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS  Life

Offline Mogorilla

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2019, 07:12:29 AM »
Ha.   I have been to Europe a couple of times and realize they have no idea what American food should taste like.   Brits always crack me up, they serve a curry that puts smoke out my ears and then serve a "hot spicy" chili that is not much more than tomatoes and beans.   

Offline Tascosa Joe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 2770
  • NCOWS #: L-168
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2019, 12:11:59 PM »
I know what you mean Mo.  I call continental Europe the land of weird breakfast.  I am glad our breakfast here in the USA is patterned off of Irish and English food.
NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS  Life

Offline Crow Choker

• Top Active Citizen
  • River Banker Extraordinaire
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 36
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2019, 02:43:03 PM »
Thanks for posting Bill, just saw this and showed it to the Mrs. Her grandfather came over from Czechoslovakia early 1900's and she is hooked on all Czech food and others from the region. Has introduced a lot to me also. She started to droll when I showed her this and copied it announcing this would be served pretty soon. Looks good-never knew 'real' goulash didn't have ground beef and noodles. It was always a staple at my school when a kid (with ground beef and noodles). ;D
Darksider-1911 Shooter-BOLD Chambers-RATS-SCORRS-STORM-1860 Henry(1866)-Colt Handgun Lover an' Fan-NRA-"RiverRat"-Conservative American Patriot and Former Keeper & Enforcer of the Law an' Proud of Being Both! >oo

Offline Oregon Bill

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2019, 09:10:40 AM »
Crow Choker, did your bride ever make this? Boy it's good!

Offline Crow Choker

• Top Active Citizen
  • River Banker Extraordinaire
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 36
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2019, 08:04:49 AM »
No, but I reminded her and had to follow her around for a spell with a towel as the 'drool' restarted where it had quit back in April. Got busy with spring yard things, birthdays, and graduations. Was advised it would be made and served ASAP. Will advise of the results after she makes it. Thanks for the reminder. CC
Darksider-1911 Shooter-BOLD Chambers-RATS-SCORRS-STORM-1860 Henry(1866)-Colt Handgun Lover an' Fan-NRA-"RiverRat"-Conservative American Patriot and Former Keeper & Enforcer of the Law an' Proud of Being Both! >oo

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com