Author Topic: 2016 Grand Muster...140th Anniversary of the Battle of Little Bighorn  (Read 111786 times)

Offline Niederlander

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
Re: 2016 Grand Muster...140th Anniversary of the Battle of Little Bighorn
« Reply #120 on: June 01, 2016, 06:39:18 PM »
John,  I also have a few items as well as grips for the banquet. Sure hope someone brings some Apple Pie again this year. It has a tendency to last a long time around here what with the wife's raised eyebrows at the mention of it. Oh well.
I'm glad you brought up the Apple Pie!  I'd almost forgotten about that.  I'll mix up a new batch, and drink a toast to Stu, who gave me the recipe!
"There go those Nebraskans, and all hell couldn't stop them!"

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #121 on: June 03, 2016, 10:16:11 PM »
Sorry to hear about the health issues Doug, was looking forward to finally meeting a bunch of you folks.  Another year perhaps.
Queen of Battle - "Follow Me"
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
  • Liked:
« Reply #122 on: June 05, 2016, 07:06:10 PM »
Did we ever get a round count for the various matches.

I know the Rifle Long Range is something like 15 to make 9 hits 3 per at 100 and 200 before you can move to 300.

Early on in the thread there is a recommendation for 100 for the battle rifle.  Luckily I have upwards of 250 pieces of Krag Brass right now.
Have loaded 20 of my 210 grain cast on top of 40 grains AA4350 and 15 of my 173 GI ball on top of 41.5 gr varget to test for the Krag for long range this week.  Will also be Crono ing the 210 grain cast sitting on top of 10 gr AA2.  Will adjust that if they fly faster than 1400 fps.

I will be shooting my 98 Krag Rifle, Battle Rifle and Long Range.  Guess I will be shooting Infantry.

Will either shoot RNV 45 colt or 1911A1 in the pistol match
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

Advertising

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #123 on: June 05, 2016, 07:26:47 PM »
 Round count depends on how good a shot you are.  It can vary, but the average rifle target count per skirmish run is around 20.  So thats 80 or so targets over 4 runs.  And all are must hit.  So how many times do you think you'll miss?  And you'll want some for sighting in, and just plain plinking in the evening

Bring 200 rounds.  Never hurts to have some left over.  And everyone misses more than they think . . .
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #124 on: June 05, 2016, 07:49:48 PM »
Last time I was able to get up there, I had about 140 pieces of Lebel brass, all loaded for main match. It was plenty, had some left to use possibly the only 1886 Lebel  ever in a Zoot match the next day. Due to lack of Lebel brass, I used a Swedish Mauser for my long range that year. This year I have plenty of brass, but none of the jacketed bullet loads I have tried so far are grouping acceptably. My main match loads can shoot 3-4" at 100 yards, if I do my part, but all the jacketed loads are spraying out 8" or more :-[

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
  • Liked:
« Reply #125 on: June 05, 2016, 08:55:04 PM »
Do you have any Idea of the actual bore size of the Lebel?  The cast bullets might bump up to fill the bore and the Jacketed may be a tad undersized.

Drydock thanks for the recommendation.  Will prolly load up 30 of what shoots best for LR and all the rest of available brass at sub 1400 cast.  That should be a few more than 200 if I don't ruin any more cases.

I do have a bayonet just in case I run out of ammo.
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #126 on: June 05, 2016, 09:04:53 PM »
The bullets I am using are a little undersized, .323, while the rifle slugs out at .324-.325. Others have reported good results using flat base, .323 bullets with faster powders (I'm using 3031). My cast are sized at .325. I see that Buffalo now has .327 bullets in stock again, I may try them-but time's getting short, and I already have suitable bullets for the Swede or Argentine. I might even try my cast loads beyond 100 yards, but I'm already using 5-600 yard sight settings to get to 100- might run out of elevation getting to 300!

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
  • Liked:
« Reply #127 on: June 05, 2016, 09:41:22 PM »
If you can get lino type gas checks you should be able to run them 2100 FPS and make the trip.  I can in my Krag
Looks like Montana Bullet Works is back in business

http://www.montanabulletworks.com/8mm_or_32_40_Rifle.html  
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #128 on: June 05, 2016, 10:23:45 PM »
The Saeco #81 bullet might work, takes a very long OAL in a Lebel to function as a repeater.

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
  • Liked:
« Reply #129 on: June 09, 2016, 08:49:52 PM »
Well I loaded up 220 rounds of Krag 210 gc over 10 gr AA2.  Could not get the chrony to pick up that bullet today.  Does not make much of a bang shoots close to point of aim at 25 and 50 but about 8 inches low at 100.  Did not take much wind to blow it 8 inches down wind.

I did load some 173 gr GI ball with close to max load of varget.  Decided 2600 FPS was too hot for the old krag, backed of a grain.  That should fly about 2500 fps.  I was getting nearly 300 fPs more than the tables stated guess that long  barrel on a krag wrings out the last bit of energy from the powder.  Could be the 173 grain ball generates more pressure due to the .3086 vs .308 diameter.  Probably does not hurt that the barrel is new with about 200 rounds through it.  All but the 15 173 gr FMJ I shot to day have been cast. Albeit with gas checks on nearly all of them.

Sitll undecided on what to shoot in Pistol either 45 Colt RNV 7.5 inch or the 1911.  Will bring bullets for both

Departure date is 1 week from this AM.  I am really looking forward to the Muster.
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

Offline Good Troy

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 98102
  • NCOWS #: 3791
  • GAF #: 835
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 23
« Reply #130 on: June 10, 2016, 08:17:14 AM »
I am certainly excited about the Muster!  I feel like a kid...well, I still act like one most of the time.
The favorite wife is even getting into the spirit. She is building up her wardrobe, and trying to figure
how to wear her hair.
Good Troy
AKA Dechali, and Has No Horses
SASS#98102
GAF#835
NCOWS#3791
SSS#638

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #131 on: June 10, 2016, 08:54:53 AM »
and trying to figure how to wear her hair.

Tell her not to worry too much, the wind will decide. ;D
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #132 on: June 10, 2016, 11:26:46 AM »
... Departure date is 1 week from this AM. 

Good grief, are you walking to Muster?   ;)  We have roughly the same distance to travel, and I won't likely be setting out until the morning of June 21st .... 

(Just kidding ... as I assume you are probably sightseeing en route, or something like that ...  ;D )
Rattlesnake Jack Robson, Scout, Rocky Mountain Rangers, North West Canada, 1885
Major John M. Robson, Royal Scots of Canada, 1883-1901
Sgt. John Robson, Queen's Own Rifles of Canada, 1885
Bvt. Col, Commanding International Dept. and Div.  of Canada, Grand Army of the Frontier

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
  • Liked:
« Reply #133 on: June 10, 2016, 07:03:21 PM »
Yes a night in Monument Valley, a few days with my sun in Grand Junction and 2 Nights in Ft Collins will Arrive close to noon Thursday
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #134 on: June 10, 2016, 09:44:52 PM »
Cpt Dan, those loads sound pretty fast for a Krag. I had a thought about my groups from the Lebel-they were all strung out in a diagonal line like / this. Perhaps from shooting with a tight sling? Will load a few more up and shoot without the sling before I give in and take the Swede. Still not real happy with the groups from the 1892 revolver either. Limited amount of bullets to play with, soooo, may have to use an SAA for the precision part. I really need to start the load development a bit earlier next time.....

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #135 on: June 11, 2016, 01:39:06 AM »
Well, I must say I am mighty disheartened over a wrench which was chucked into my Muster plans today!  A month ago I faxed in my application to the BATF for the Form 6NIA import permit for my guns and ammunition, and got a nice printed confirmation that the fax successfully went through ... just as I have done for the numerous previous years I have attended.

Since I hadn't yet heard back from them today (which seemed to be an inordinately long
delay) I phoned to check on the application ... only to be told that there is no record in their system of my application this year!

???  :o   :-X   :'(

The chap I spoke to on my first call said I would have to fax it in again ... and there would be a very slim chance it might be processed in time.  I immediately did up a further covering letter and drove halfway across town (to the funeral home where I work part time) and faxed it again - got another printed confirmation that the fax was successful ....  Drove back home, and phoned again to ask if they could confirm it been received this time ...  I got put through to the supervisor of that department who, as soon as he heard my question, asked what fax number I had sent it to ... to which I replied that I had sent it to the fax number listed on the BATF website, and in the application instructions ... and that I had triple-checked it to make sure I had it right.  He then told me they had received many reports about faxes supposedly delivered to that number which they in fact never received, and gave a different fax number to use ... saying they had set up a second fax line because of the problems.  (Not sure why the chap I spoke to in the morning couldn't have told me that ... or why they still list the old fax number on the form and website ....  :-\ )

Anyway, drove BACK across town to re-fax everything to the new number .... it took no less than SEVEN  attempts to get the fax to go through to this new number - it would connect and start sending the documents (9 pages total, so rather slow) but crap out by about page 7 or 8 and deliver a "failure" report.  FINALLY got a confirmation that the entire fax SUPPOSEDLY went through ... by then it was too late to phone back as it was after their closing time in West Virginia, so there is no way to even get through to ask if it got there until Monday at the earliest ....  :P

Sounds like the chances are not good that the application will be processed in time ... IF they got it, that is ... since I am told that a totally problem-free application can maybe be approved within two weeks (whereas there remain only only seven business days maximum before I have to cross the border.)

My new cover letter requests that my application be expedited if at all possible - even though I was told by both chaps today they don't 'fast track' applications ... hoping somebody sympathetic might see it and slip it to the top of the pile or something ...

I will be there if that happens, otherwise .... :'(
Rattlesnake Jack Robson, Scout, Rocky Mountain Rangers, North West Canada, 1885
Major John M. Robson, Royal Scots of Canada, 1883-1901
Sgt. John Robson, Queen's Own Rifles of Canada, 1885
Bvt. Col, Commanding International Dept. and Div.  of Canada, Grand Army of the Frontier

Offline Niederlander

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #136 on: June 11, 2016, 06:07:52 AM »
What a crock!  And of course, no one there really cares since, being from the government and here to help, they've got other things to do......................hoping things work out.  Otherwise, wear a uniform compatible with a Long Lee.  I happen to have a nice one you're welcome to use.  I also have a very nice early Smith & Wesson .38 you can pair it with.  (They're the same guns I used last year.  I'm shooting a Trapdoor this year.)  If you can bring or send ammo for the Long Lee, great, otherwise I should have plenty, both cast and full power jacketed for long range.  Looking forward to seeing you here!

Offline Niederlander

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #137 on: June 11, 2016, 07:09:18 AM »
Are you coming for the Expansion Era match, too?  If so, I can bring the SMLE for that.  (Sorry, you'll just have to get along without a Ross.............I know that would break your heart!)

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #138 on: June 11, 2016, 12:10:08 PM »
I can bring a Webley Mk V for you, and ammunition.  Come on down, Her Majesty's bureaucrats be damned!
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #139 on: June 11, 2016, 12:23:16 PM »
I can bring a Webley Mk V for you, and ammunition.  Come on down, Her Majesty's bureaucrats be damned!

Ain't them I think, it's O's ones.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com