Author Topic: Pistols  (Read 13676 times)

Offline Peachey Carnehan

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Pistols
« on: September 25, 2012, 12:12:57 PM »
Since there's a rifle thread, I thought it would be interesting to start a pistol one. I'm a huge fan of the early Colt automatics, so I thought it would be neat to show off a refinished Colt Model 1903 Pocket Hammer that I picked up a while back. These sort of things seem to multiply on their own, because I now have two. Interested in sharing what you've got for AZSA? What you'd like to use?

Peachey
(Herman Homberger, AZSA #93)

Offline Border Ruffian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Pistols
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2012, 05:53:28 PM »
WOW, WOW, WOW, I love that pistol, congratulations!  It may be refinished but it has style!  The only challange might be having enough mags for a match.  Ammo is not a problem, that would be a great pistol for a match.  I used a 1911 last month but i really want to use a Luger or a 1917 revolver next time.  A friend of mine wants to use his engraved 1911 in a match, but I think you're 1902 would have a style edge. 
http://oldschoolguns.blogspot.com/  A place for Classic Firearms

Offline Peachey Carnehan

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2012, 11:15:58 AM »
Thanks for the kind words. The gold really sets it off, makes it unique. It's probably a blasphemy to those that like pistols in original condition, but I wasn't the one that did that, so I feel like I'm absolved ;) How many magazines does one generally need? I picked up a couple hundred rounds of .38 Super brass since I couldn't source any .38 Auto stamped brass, dies, and I've got some digging and experimentation to do to find an ideal lead bullet (of course, I won't try or think of shooting .38 Super in it. since I don't have any .38 Super pistols it's not a problem of getting rounds mixed up) . I'll have to see how it does on a practice day on the range due it not having a slide release. I've always been fond of Lugers- any specific manufacturer or date range that you've been looking at, or do you already have one? The 1917 revolver is a nice one too! It'll be a challenge to decide whether to shoot the 1917, Luger, or 1911 each time. A good problem to have!

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:27:17 AM »

Offline DeaconKC

• Retired Predator Hunter
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 110215
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4868
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2012, 10:23:02 PM »
That's a fine shooter! On Lugers, look for a "shooter" gun, not a collector grade one. The .30 Luger will be cheaper to buy, but pay the extra for a 9mm, it will be much cheaper in the long run. Do not pay extra for Nazi marked ones built before 1939 unless the seller has the documentation of a vet bringback., as faking has been rampant. Mec Gar makes modrn mags for them that work great.  Put a Wolff spring pack in it. My 1915 DWM loves the Winchester White Box 115 grain stuff. The 1917 is great to shoot, the Brazilian guns from 1937 can be a good value as they still are cheaper than the US marked ones. A Tyler T grip adapter makes them much nicer to shoot if you have large hands.
SASS DeaconKC
The Deacon AZSA
BOLD 1088
RATS 739
STORM 448
Driver for Howard, Fine & Howard
Veterinary & Taxidermy Clinic
"Either way, you get your dog back"

Offline Six Gun Saint

• Top Active Citizen
  • You can't have no idea how little I care...
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2012, 09:04:56 PM »
I've never done AZSA (having just found out about it today), but I have a nice Rock Island 1911-only exceptions from being just like the ones back in the Great War are it's got a beaver tail (I've freakishly large hands, see), and a "Commando" hammer (the skeletonized one).

I plan on getting some new grips for it (it's got standard, non check'd walnut), as far as what they'll look like, Probably smiley faces.

I'd LOVE to get my hands on a 1903, always have liked the look of 'em (and the TT Tokarev for that matter).

That one up in the OP, Peachey Carnehan, friggin' beautiful, and that's a fact.

Actually, is the Tokarev legal?  I can't rightly remember it's chambering off the top of my head...
The above may or may not be influenced by medications and/or alcohol...  (i.e. don't blame me if it's bad spelling/incoherent)
--------

July 9, 2011-The Birth of Southern Sudan!

Ph'nglui Mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh, Wgah'nagl Fhtagn!

Do not believe in yourself, believe in me, who believes in you!-Courage Wolf

The gods only go with you, if you put yourself in their path. And that takes courage...-The Crystal Cave

Hiding won't help you, you see...  I control the bullets-I make them go where I want.

A gun's power isn't in it's muzzle velocity or caliber...-Revolver Ocelot

WE DON'T RENT PIGS!

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2012, 01:45:40 AM »
Is .32 acp caliber allowed?
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • 308 214-0082 45551 Rd 816, Sargent NE 68874 USA
    • Grand Army of the Frontier
  • SASS #: 74523
  • NCOWS #: L187
  • GAF #: 147
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2012, 07:57:59 AM »
According to the AZSA web-site, Yes.
http://www.zootshooters.com/

Here's a couple of pictures of my pistol. I just got it back from Cylinder and Slide where they installed the wide hammer and small thumb safety my son and I won as door prizes at the world championships Labor Day Weekend. They also did a trigger job. The grips are Gripmaker Grand Army of the Frontier grips. I also use it for GAF Era of Expansion matches.

I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

Offline Six Gun Saint

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2012, 12:45:47 PM »
So wait, after reading on the site, Beaver Tail grip safety is right out? o.o

That really kinda sucks if I'm reading that right-as I mentioned earlier, I've got freakishly large hands (I mean BIG-and that hammer bite is PAINFUL).  I've also got the drilled/skeleton hammer on mine (not by choice, just because that's what came on the one what was in stock).  THAT I could (and would) change, but the Beaver Tail, I've GOT to have that.

Looks like I'll be going with something a bit different then!
The above may or may not be influenced by medications and/or alcohol...  (i.e. don't blame me if it's bad spelling/incoherent)
--------

The gods only go with you, if you put yourself in their path. And that takes courage...-The Crystal Cave

Hiding won't help you, you see...  I control the bullets-I make them go where I want.

WE DON'T RENT PIGS!

Offline DeaconKC

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2012, 04:11:00 PM »
Yup, the Tokarev is legal, fires the 7.62x25 cartridge.
Sixgun, like you I have XXL paws. You can get by with a shorter safety and find a wide spur hammer, then have the lehgth ground down to avoid getting chewed up, that's what i did  on my 1911. As far as the cartridges allowed, here is a breakdown on this: http://www.zootshooters.com/deacon%E2%80%99s-bully-pulpit-1-getting-started
SASS DeaconKC
The Deacon AZSA
BOLD 1088
RATS 739
STORM 448

Offline Six Gun Saint

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2012, 04:42:42 PM »
Sixgun, like you I have XXL paws. You can get by with a shorter safety and find a wide spur hammer, then have the lehgth ground down to avoid getting chewed up, that's what i did  on my 1911. As far as the cartridges allowed, here is a breakdown on this: http://www.zootshooters.com/deacon%E2%80%99s-bully-pulpit-1-getting-started

Downside is, that still means buying a whole 'nother 1911.  With the Tokarev being legal (and cheap), I'll probably either snag one of them, or get my beloved PPK (my wife wants one anyway).

My mate's got a legal 1911, I may can bum his, if a group is ever started around here anyway! 

Closest one is in Tennessee!
--------

WE DON'T RENT PIGS!

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2012, 04:47:47 PM »
My mate's got a legal 1911, I may can bum his, if a group is ever started around here
Start your own

Offline DeaconKC

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2012, 05:20:25 PM »
Where are you?
SASS DeaconKC
The Deacon AZSA
BOLD 1088
RATS 739
STORM 448

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2012, 05:25:57 PM »

Good.  That means I can use my Colt M-1903 pocket hammerless and my Remington M-51, right?
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Offline Six Gun Saint

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2012, 05:28:20 PM »
I'm about a half hour north of Winston-Salem, North Carolina.  

Starting my own IS an idea, if I can find enough like minded fellas to jump on board what's near by.  I've got one mate, he's around an hour and a half away from me, he's down (wants to play the whole "Irish Cop" angle) with it.  A mate of mine in Kentucky may move down, and he's MORE than willing.

Then there's Fluffy...  Fluffy'd probably be all in, time permitting.
--------

WE DON'T RENT PIGS!

Offline DeaconKC

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2012, 06:12:02 PM »
1903 and the 51 would both be great guns. The 1903s really gnaw on my hand unfortunately, but I love the elegance of those guns.
SASS DeaconKC
The Deacon AZSA
BOLD 1088
RATS 739
STORM 448

Offline Six Gun Saint

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2012, 10:47:28 AM »
I'm about to head to the local range, where I'll get to lay hands on the S&W Model 10 Revolver.

I'm hoping it's a pleasure to shoot, as I've a contact what's selling a couple for fairly cheap-ish (under $400 for blue, under $600 for the nickle).  I figure since it's design dates back to 1899, and they all look pretty much the same (as far as I can tell), it's a AZSA legal firearm!
--------

WE DON'T RENT PIGS!

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2012, 01:36:06 PM »
Yeah I have one and I love it. It won't replace my 1911 (I love it more  ;D ) but I think you'll like it. Cheap to shoot, no recoil, pretty nice trigger (for a DA) and like you said AZSA legal. I use mine for GAF matches too because as you said it's virtually the same as the ones made before the turn of the century.

Offline DeaconKC

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2012, 04:09:06 PM »
I've got a pair of those .38s, one from 1906 and the other from 1926, both are still sweet shooters capable of outstanding accuracy. Enjoy!
SASS DeaconKC
The Deacon AZSA
BOLD 1088
RATS 739
STORM 448

Offline Six Gun Saint

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2012, 09:39:03 PM »
I'm actually a bit depressed...  My mate Fluffy is far more capable with the revolver than I am.  Oh, it shoots like a dream, aye-but how can someone with so little firearm experience outshoot someone who's put thousands of rounds down range? o.o

But yeah, I'll be snagging one of them, probably the Colt Police Positive, and if I can FIND a 1903, why not?

And the .38 Special?  LOVE that round.
--------

WE DON'T RENT PIGS!

Offline Bat 2919

• G Man / Bat Masterson
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Sand Creek Raiders
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2012, 10:08:46 AM »
The model 10's will be great as long as they have that thin "pencil barrel" profile of the old S & W Military & Police.  Beware the later models as they could have the factory heavy barrel that looks nothing like the old M&P.

Good Luck
G Man
Happy Trails

G Man / Bat Masterson
NRA Endowment
SASS #2919L
AZSA #11L
NCOWS #530
BOLD# 276
GAF #750

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com