Author Topic: 44 days, Bit over 6 weeks  (Read 4052 times)

Offline Crow Choker

• Top Active Citizen
  • River Banker Extraordinaire
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 36
44 days, Bit over 6 weeks
« on: December 21, 2022, 09:56:23 AM »
WOW, can't believe its been since Nov 7th since there has been a new post on this Darkside Den. That's 44 days, a tad over six weeks. This section of the CAS Forum used to be the most popular, most posted on from what I've observed over the years. Not sure why the forum is in the shape it's in regarding activity. I used to look forward to clicking on, reading, at times posting. Anymore sometimes 2-3 days go by before I hit the CAS Forum and there hasn't been much activity in any section. Sad to see. Probably alot of views why, some may be valid. This used to be an interesting and informative forum. Just on a soapbox and wondering why with my fingers. CrowChoker
Darksider-1911 Shooter-BOLD Chambers-RATS-SCORRS-STORM-1860 Henry(1866)-Colt Handgun Lover an' Fan-NRA-"RiverRat"-Conservative American Patriot and Former Keeper & Enforcer of the Law an' Proud of Being Both! >oo

Offline Dave T

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 913
Re: 44 days, Bit over 6 weeks
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2022, 01:00:36 PM »
As the Boomers (myself included) age CAS is gradually dying.  Not surprising a CAS Forum would suffer the same fate.  I check in here almost every day, particularly the "New unread" section, and am frequently disappointed at how few new posts there are.

As for the Darksiders (black powder shooters) it seems like I am seeing more and more folks complaining about either how hard it is becoming to find black powder, primers, etc, or how they don't want to be bothered cleaning up after black powder.

In my case, despite getting older (74) and being disabled, the only shooting I get a real joy and satisfaction from is black powder cartridge shooting.  My biggest problem is not having a 'shooting buddy'.  No matter, you will still find me lurking and posting here...until I can't anymore.

Dave

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1214
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2022, 01:34:46 PM »
Yeah, it was harder to find powder and primers for a while, but not too bad now.  Primers are more expensive than before, but such is life.  Scheutzen BP is readily available. I just bought a bunch of 1Fg for more flame in shotgun.  :)  Like Dave T said, CAS is generally slowing down a bit. There are other forums on CasCity that are pretty slow as well.  I think the majority of people shooting BP categories in CAS now are using APP.  It is too easy, so they don't need to be posting and asking about lubes, how much and what sort of lube, big lube bullets, type of powder, etc.  Overall, I think BP-sub shooters are somewhat less enthusiastic about BP in general.  A lot of them were smokeless shooters who found less competition in BP categories so they use APP.   Don't get me wrong, APP is okay and I use it sometimes for rifle.  It smokes plenty, sometimes more than BP, and leaves less fouling.  But I do miss the flame with APP.

For the last few years I've been staying with my elderly mom, 90 miles from my house and reloading gear, and don't have as much time for loading or cleaning guns.  So I've been lazy and shooting more smokeless than BP.  But I bought a bunch of lubed .38's from Springfield Slim before he retires from selling bullets, plus more from Missouri bullet company, and plan on shooting more BP this year.  The Texican Rangers hold a year-long competition for category honors, you have to shoot a category in at least 5 matches during the year to qualify.  So this year I'm going to shoot frontier cartridge monthly at that club.

This was two weeks ago at the Texas Riviera Pistoleros 2nd annual Gunfight at Gamble Gulch.  APP in rifle, BP in .38 conversions and 12Ga otherwise.  A nice breeze to allow seeing the targets.  That's fine at a "big" match, but at a monthly I prefer little to no wind so the smoke hangs around and bugs the posse.  ;D

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:34:26 AM »

Offline Bunk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2022, 07:09:55 PM »
well old age (92) and a state of general decrepitude  has sidelined old Bunk.
My last shoot was one of the last times on the Rough Regulators range.
Still  shooting and playing with an 1851nNavy converted to  1871 .38 Short Colt with FFFg of course on the range in my back yard.
Hang in there boys
I am
Bunk

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2022, 07:54:17 PM »
Howdy Bunk,
You're a little older than I thought.  It's great that you still can enjoy your guns and black powder.  Think you might make it to a match at Plum Creek some day?

Offline Galen

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 25
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2022, 08:39:13 PM »
The younger generations may get involved when the 6 guns, lever guns are made of polymer.

Offline Bunk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2022, 09:06:02 PM »
i may come spring green up, but right now i am sticking close to the cast iron stove in the bunk house with a big pile of mesquite chunks keeping the Arbuckles hot.
Still Holding center
Even hit it occasionally
Bunk

Offline Little Dalton

• Top Active Citizen
  • -ad regem-
    • Axe & Anvil
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 76
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2022, 10:17:32 PM »
Two things: I'm in middle Tennessee, and obsessed with everything black powder cartridge. I'll be 30 in the spring, and I would LOVE to be shooting buddies with some of you wiser old geezers.  ;D

There may not be many of us, but I promise there are more younger guys like myself who love BP and the guns of the old west than you might imagine. I am finding more and more 20-35 year olds that love it, and I'm doing my best to get more into it.
Jordan Goodwin, Blacksmith

Offline Froogal

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3882
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 584
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2022, 12:22:18 PM »
Well, just to add my 2 cents worth. Sometime back I laid in a supply of Goex and Old Eyensford. Mostly 3F, then I learned that black powder and .45 Colts do not necessarily play well together, so that combination has been placed on the back burner, at least for awhile.

I then bought a .36 caliber percussion revolver, only to learn that the caps needed to make it go bang are extremely scarce.

SO, my stash of black powder got relocated to a secure and protected place, NOT in the house.

Maybe Santa will bring me a .44-40 rifle and a sleigh full of brass.

Offline Navy Six

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 26385
  • NCOWS #: 1410
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 66
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2022, 04:02:32 PM »
Crow Choker, I've noticed the same thing, not only this site but others as well. I chalk it up to a combination of factors--lack of available components, high prices when you do find them. I think people are conserving ammo when it's this difficult to replace. So there are fewer people reporting on their experiments and posing questions about them. I have to travel over an hour to a range and I find myself debating whether I can afford the gas at times when I used to shoot once a week. Pretty sad.
One thing I have noticed, though, is the amount of activity on some You Tube sites such as Mike Beliveau's and others. Mike posts a new video once a week that is mostly related to our interests. Judging by the responses he receives, plenty of people are watching and interested. 
Only Blackpowder Is Interesting 
"I'm the richest man in the world. I have a good wife, a good dog and a good sixgun." Charles A "Skeeter" Skelton

Offline Bunk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2022, 07:11:00 PM »
Howdy Froogal,
Find some .45 Cowboy Action Special cases and load with a 200 grain (big lube) bullet and a full to bullet base which is about 25 grains of FFFg. This almost duplicates the Henry .44 flat cartridge and runs through a .45 Colt slick as can be.
With a modified lifter it is good to go in a  '60, '66, or '73 Winchester.

Loads with regular .45 Colt sizing die and a .45ACP Seat and crimp die but a roll crimp die is better for a rifle.
A .45ACP sizing die works the brass to much as the ACP case has a slight taper.
Hold Center
Bunk

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2022, 07:51:18 PM »
...then I learned that black powder and .45 Colts do not necessarily play well together, so that combination has been placed on the back burner, at least for awhile....

If you are talking about 45 Colt in a rifle, I get it.  It is doable just messy unless you hassle with annealing or some other work-around.  But if you are talking about 45 Colt in a revolver, then ???

Offline Bunk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2022, 08:37:49 PM »
Abilene
I just fire formed NEW .44-40 brass to accept a .45 Colt Big Lube (shameless plug) bullet and a case load of FFFg.
That thin case mouth seals perfectly. It is a bit of a bother to make but a lot easier that annealing .45 Colt brass and keeping a fouled lifter working.
My '60 Henry has a Happy Trails modified lifter and works well with the short so I used the .45CAS case for both guns.
The .44-40 cases will not work in a .45 Colt the case head is too big.
I do miss the fun.
Bunk

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2022, 10:41:46 PM »
...The .44-40 cases will not work in a .45 Colt the case head is too big....
Yeah, blowing out 44-40 cases to .45 was one of the other work-arounds I was referring to.  I have thought about that but I have rifles in 32-20 and 44-40, and shoot plenty of BP .38's, so my 45 Colt rifle just sees smokeless (it's my Wild Bunch rifle).  Now, as to your comment above, I'm not sure what you are referring to.

Offline Froogal

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2022, 09:17:48 AM »
If you are talking about 45 Colt in a rifle, I get it.  It is doable just messy unless you hassle with annealing or some other work-around.  But if you are talking about 45 Colt in a revolver, then ???

NO problems in a revolver, but the bore of the rifle gets fouled after only a few shots. A duplex load helps, but not enough.

Offline Dave T

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 913
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2022, 12:47:22 PM »
NO problems in a revolver, but the bore of the rifle gets fouled after only a few shots. A duplex load helps, but not enough.

You need more and/or better lube on your bullets.  (smiley face goes here)

Dave

Offline Froogal

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2022, 09:06:31 AM »
You need more and/or better lube on your bullets.  (smiley face goes here)

Dave

200 grain bullet with a single lube groove. SPG lube. To get a bullet with double lube grooves I would need to move up to 255 grains which just seems like over-kill for cowboy action shooting.

I am tempted to experiment with some LEE alox in addition to the SPG. Maybe that would just make a mess?

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2022, 11:19:22 AM »
200 grain bullet with a single lube groove. SPG lube. To get a bullet with double lube grooves I would need to move up to 255 grains which just seems like over-kill for cowboy action shooting.

I am tempted to experiment with some LEE alox in addition to the SPG. Maybe that would just make a mess?
How long is your rifle barrel?  I should think for CAS accuracy you should be fine with one lube groove.  Some folks run a patch down the barrel mid-match.  I have been known to give a shot of moosemilk mist down the muzzle mid-match, sort of like a super-blow tube.  But none of my barrels are longer than 20".  If you did want to try the 225gr bullet, I doubt you would feel much difference in recoil.  But don't let me dissuade you from getting a 44-40 rifle, you "need" that anyway.  :)

Offline Navy Six

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 26385
  • NCOWS #: 1410
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 66
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2022, 12:12:23 PM »
Having two lube grooves doesn't necessarily mean you are getting more lube. Several years ago a gentleman who went by 44WCF (John Kort) did extensive testing on the 44-40. Long story short he designed a single lube groove bullet that contained more lube, by actual measurement, than currently available two groove bullets. His design, available from Accurate Molds, carried enough lube for 24" barrels and were accurate to 300 yards. Unfortunately John passed away a couple of years ago and the extensive testing was reported on a website that is no longer up. His overall design is replicated in 38-40 and very similar 45 Colt. I have used both the 38-40 and 44-40 for years in Cowboy matches.
Only Blackpowder Is Interesting 
"I'm the richest man in the world. I have a good wife, a good dog and a good sixgun." Charles A "Skeeter" Skelton

Offline Froogal

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2022, 01:06:44 PM »
How long is your rifle barrel?  I should think for CAS accuracy you should be fine with one lube groove.  Some folks run a patch down the barrel mid-match.  I have been known to give a shot of moosemilk mist down the muzzle mid-match, sort of like a super-blow tube.  But none of my barrels are longer than 20".  If you did want to try the 225gr bullet, I doubt you would feel much difference in recoil.  But don't let me dissuade you from getting a 44-40 rifle, you "need" that anyway.  :)

I'd have to dig the rifle out of the safe and measure the barrel, but I know it is longer than 20 inches. The rifle will actually hold 13 rounds. As far as recoil goes, it ain't a problem.

When I first started playing with the black powder loads, the bore got fouled after only 5 rounds. I then played with a duplex load and could get off 10 shots, but that was it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com