Author Topic: wedge pin  (Read 3319 times)

Offline bama

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
wedge pin
« on: April 10, 2006, 11:47:31 AM »
hey pards, does anybody know of a way to remove and install the wedge pin quicker. i removed the screw and left it offto save a little time. thanks.................bama :'(

Offline Snapshot

• Very Active Citizen
  • Aim Small - Miss Small
  • Liked:
Re: wedge pin
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2006, 07:09:52 AM »
Do you want to change the sylinder on the clock?
You can try to alter the wedge with some emery paper, take it down slightly til it do not stick to hard....
tidious woork but it can be rewarding, and it just might be just what you`re loking for.?
Honour is like a an island, steep and without a shore.
Once you leave you can newer return.!

General Johan Von Ewald, Danish/Norwegian Army Until 1813

Offline Brickhammer Hamilton

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2006, 02:37:12 PM »
Not true about the screw.  It is not a wedge-keeper, even though it has that effect when it is screwed flush to the frame.  The screw is meant for marking how far the wedge should be driven in for proper adjustment.  On a new gun, the wedge typically is driven flush to the opposing side.  As the gun ages, and parts are worked loose, the wedge needs to be pushed in farther.  Eventually, the wedge can no longer hold the barrel tight and must be replaced.

The screw prevents the wedge from becoming too tight...  When a wedge is jammed in too tight, the barrel and cylinder rub against each other.  The wedge must be taken out a bit when this happens.  Play with this a bit to find the best wedge fit, then unscrew the screw untill it is flush with the channel cut in the wedge.  This will prevent you from jamming the wedge in too far.  Unscrewing the wedge adjustment screw a bit will also help with removal of the wedge. Discarding it is bad, as you will now have no way, other than constantly checking the gap between barrel and cylinder, to see if you have pushed the wedge in far enough or too far.

This holds true of C&B and R-M conversions.

I hope my description is good enough.

To make wedge removal easy, I've been using a piece of scrap oak wood from a flooring project...  I pry the wedge out.  I use the same piece of scrap wood to tap the wedge back in for re-assembly.  Backing the screw out a bit should have the same effect on easing wedge removal as discarding the screw completely.

Cheers.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:23:12 PM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com