Author Topic: Triple 7  (Read 1151 times)

Offline SiringoMN

• Very Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 16689
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
Triple 7
« on: October 19, 2021, 05:01:31 PM »
Has anyone ever tried Triple 7 in the 50-95?

Offline Professor Marvel

• purveyor of useless items to the gentry
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • learn from the past, or be doomed to repeat it
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1118
Re: Triple 7
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2021, 02:53:32 PM »
Greetings my Good Siringo -

Since no one has replied, I will take the liberty of referring you to a post from over 11 years ago

Of course, these loads are worked up for MY Chappie, use at yer own risk! Its nice to live within 2 miles of the gun range! Ive settled on both a smokless and smoke filled load for my Chappie, here goes! Both of these are pushing a 340 grain cast Lyman .515 dia. bullet. CCI 200 primers for both as well.
38 grains AA5744 gives me 1550 fps.
48 grains (by weight) Hodgdon Triple Seven fffg is 1500-1525 fps. and a goodly amount of smoke!!
Both give me 2" to 3" at 50 yds. with open sights. Seems to hold that group or even tighten up a bit at 100 yds.
I prefer the Triple 7 over black powder for the simple fact that it feeds through my powder measure accurately, and no explosions yet!!

https://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php?topic=19223.0

Triple 7 is known to be more energetic than true BP and somewhat more corrosive due to perchlorates.
Clean early, use warm or hot water and soap. Regular solvents won't clean out the salts.

Read here for details on cleaning

https://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php?topic=56362.0

Since triple 7 is more energetic, the manufacturer always recommends starting with BP load reduced by about 10 percent. I believe a "factory load" for the 50-95 chronies at about 1300-1400 fps

As always, the load data is posted by Evodude, YMMV, Use at your own risk, lawyerspeak, blah blah blah.

Hope thishelps
Prf mumbles
Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

Offline hpbear101

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2021, 01:42:58 PM »
I've just started using Triple Seven ffg in my 50-95 (and other bp cartridges). The attached photo is with the Accurate Molds 51-350Cl cast 40:1 sized .512 lubed with SPG.
Cases are formed from 50AK, and primer is Winchester large magnum. I used 55 grains by weight which is 80 grains in a volume measure, with a homemade plastic wad under the bullet.

This was shot at 50 yards and shows some real promise. I had taken my chrono with me but as luck would have it even though it worked in the shop the battery was dead at the range. Recoil was significantly more than my RL-7 load and just guessing by other load data its probably around 15-1600 fps. I will get it chronographed soon.

My suggestions if your going to try H777:
Use a soft bullet I tried the same load with some hard cast (lym#2) that didn't perform as well.
My 55/80 grain load was just slightly compressed so until I get it chronographed I would recommend starting down around 50 grains.
I started with the WLRM primer not sure if its necessary but worth experimenting with.

I like black powder and shoot it in many different cartridges. Even though the 350CL holds more lube I just didn't have much luck with BP. After a few shots the fouling would open the groups. If I had it to do over again I would look for a mold that holds more lube. H777 does smoke and does leave fouling in the bore but my bullet and lube seem to handle it fine.

Keep posting your luck with H777, I will update with some velocities (hopefully soon).

Tom

Update 11-14-2021 the 55 grain load of Triple 7 chronographed at an average 1509 fps.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:42:53 AM »

Offline SiringoMN

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2021, 06:47:41 PM »
Thanks for the report. T7 gave me a good 100 FPS over pyrodex loads.

Offline SiringoMN

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2021, 07:47:26 AM »
I've just started using Triple Seven ffg in my 50-95 (and other bp cartridges). The attached photo is with the Accurate Molds 51-350Cl cast 40:1 sized .512 lubed with SPG.
Cases are formed from 50AK, and primer is Winchester large magnum. I used 55 grains by weight which is 80 grains in a volume measure, with a homemade plastic wad under the bullet.

This was shot at 50 yards and shows some real promise. I had taken my chrono with me but as luck would have it even though it worked in the shop the battery was dead at the range. Recoil was significantly more than my RL-7 load and just guessing by other load data its probably around 15-1600 fps. I will get it chronographed soon.

My suggestions if your going to try H777:
Use a soft bullet I tried the same load with some hard cast (lym#2) that didn't perform as well.
My 55/80 grain load was just slightly compressed so until I get it chronographed I would recommend starting down around 50 grains.
I started with the WLRM primer not sure if its necessary but worth experimenting with.

I like black powder and shoot it in many different cartridges. Even though the 350CL holds more lube I just didn't have much luck with BP. After a few shots the fouling would open the groups. If I had it to do over again I would look for a mold that holds more lube. H777 does smoke and does leave fouling in the bore but my bullet and lube seem to handle it fine.

Keep posting your luck with H777, I will update with some velocities (hopefully soon).

Tom

Update 11-14-2021 the 55 grain load of Triple 7 chronographed at an average 1509 fps.

hobear101 - have you noticed any vertical stringing?  In my limited tests, the first two shots go high and then settle down. This does not happen when I use pyrodex P.

Offline King Medallion

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 14753
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 165
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2021, 09:22:13 AM »

Thats a small bullet, diameter wise. Great that you are getting that accuracy. My 50/95 Presidio slugged out at .513.
King Medallion

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com