Author Topic: "Quick on the Draw"?  (Read 6998 times)

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 638
"Quick on the Draw"?
« on: November 12, 2015, 06:16:17 PM »
Having read many memoirs, autobiographies and other books from the American frontier period, I notice that many times (although not always) when there is a reference to someone who is "quick on the draw" or "quick on the trigger", the meaning seems to be different than the modern meaning. In the context, the writers seem to reference someone who is willing to quickly draw and fire a gun.  They seem to be speaking of someone who doesn't hesitate, but "quickly" begins shooting.  It seems to be much more of a description of attitude than a description of "fast draw" skill.  When most people might still be arguing or fighting with their fists, the "quick draw" man goes straight to guns.

Here's the way my thinking is going.  Old timers used terms like "quick on the draw" or "fast draw".  To more modern ears, that sounded like someone who had a physical skill of presenting a gun from the holster faster than the other guy and we came up with the modern idea of the "fast draw".  I'm wondering if it was just a misunderstanding of the original meaning of the term that has led our modern society to develop the image of the fast draw showdown.

What are your thoughts?

CC Griff
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: "Quick on the Draw"?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2015, 06:58:07 PM »
I think your estimation is spot-on.

Folks today ascribe today's definitions to actions of yesterday, when the truth is, they bear little resemblance to one another.

Measuring the past with today's ruler give a false reading every time, and using novels and movies to bolster opinions does little to help that impression.

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline Navy Six

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 26385
  • NCOWS #: 1410
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 66
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2015, 05:10:44 PM »
I always find it interesting when reading supposed first hand accounts about how certain Old West characters approached gun handling. You would assume anyone who considered themselves a serious gunman would at least work on a smooth, fumble free presentation. Does that constitute a "fast draw"? You have reports of people like John Wesley Hardin continuing his practice later in life. Was that because of the years spent in prison had dulled his once sharp skill? Wish there was accurate documentation where the recources weren't so scattered.
Only Blackpowder Is Interesting 
"I'm the richest man in the world. I have a good wife, a good dog and a good sixgun." Charles A "Skeeter" Skelton

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 11:57:22 AM »

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2015, 06:55:01 PM »
You may recall that a factor in Wes Hardin's 1877 arrest was the fact that his revolver got caught on his suspenders during the draw.

I'm sure that then, as now, those who carry guns for defense (or offense, I suppose), practice smooth, fast draws.  I guess I'm thinking that the gunman with a reputation for out-drawing his opponents may be myth based upon a misunderstanding of terms.  There are many accounts of individuals known for accuracy and fast shooting, but that seems different from the image of the movie or TV gunfighter drawing and shooting his opponent (who went for his gun first) before he can clear leather, ala Matt Dillon.  Hickock's reputation seemed to rest more on accuracy under stress than the time between reaching for his gun and firing.

Again, this is just a theory of mine, and certainly open to discussion.

CC Griff

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
SSS #573

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2015, 10:21:26 PM »
Don't forget that a lot of reputation is also based on coolness under pressure - period...

Coupled with a demeanor that gives the vibe that the owner doesn't care one way or the other whether the challenger lives or dies can unnerve an already nervous would-be opponent, and cause him to re-think the choices in his life.

Today, that would be called 'Walking the Walk'...

Scouts Out!

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2015, 11:56:00 PM »
Yes.  Bat Masterson, who was perhaps not always reliable (but I believe was correct in this instance), wrote that to survive, a gunfighter needed three qualities: Courage, Experience in the use of his weapon and what he called "Deliberation".  By deliberation, he meant the nerve to slow down and aim carefully under fire.  He gave several examples of men who possessed the first two qualities, but died for want of the last.

CC Griff

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
SSS #573

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 426
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2015, 05:58:49 AM »
I follow CCG's & St. G's estimation as well,  looking at the historical holster of the time
high riding , deep sides to encase the revolver, the reasoning to protect & secure it ( some had flaps , both military & civilian )
Pocket pistols , and some quick wrist contraptions and the Bridgeport patent may have lent to the faster to battery presentation...

Drop holsters, Buscadero's , leg ties , are the stuff of Reel History

perhaps, "quick on the trigger " was term better describing the trail weary drover ,at an Abilene or Dodge City rail head Sporting house.
when planets align...do the deal !

Online Galloway

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2015, 10:51:19 PM »
I see no reason why both interpretations couldn't be historically plausible. Few things are truly black or white.

Offline Navy Six

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 26385
  • NCOWS #: 1410
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 66
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2015, 01:47:55 PM »
One person I've heard about over the years was "Little Bill" Raidler. Was supposed to be blessed with those quick reflexes but I've not been able to track down any specifics.
Only Blackpowder Is Interesting 
"I'm the richest man in the world. I have a good wife, a good dog and a good sixgun." Charles A "Skeeter" Skelton

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2015, 06:40:24 PM »
There's information on him, but nothing on his abilities as a 'gun hand' - just that he rode with Bill Doolin, and the 'Wild Bunch'.

Bill Tighlman shot him, though - I suppose that's something, and he did prison time.

The thing is, 'if' there were anything noteworthy at the time, it would have been written about.

Reporters and papers were desperately hungry, and derring-do sold papers - but there wasn't - so there's no actual reference, and it's actual reference and not 'plausibility' that counts.

Scouts Out!

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2015, 10:35:37 PM »
In the end, the last man standing was the best, or the luckiest.

I've often been asked by someone or the other who I thought the best of the old "gunmen" of the old west was, I say hands down it was Tom Horn, don't think he ever had a gunfight as such, he was smart enough to hide and shoot them at distance with a rifle.  Makes all the sense in the world to me.   Like Killer Miller is said to done with Pat Garret he shot at least one taking a leak, doubly safe, as many think, he was tried and hung for a crime he never did, but of course they didn't hang an innocent man.   

Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com