Special Interests - Groups & Societies > The Winchester Model 1876

Loading Data for the 50/95WCF

<< < (2/60) > >>

hatman:
Howdy guys,

I have had no luck shooting Buffalo Arms-made 300gr and 350gr rounds through my Uberti 76 28" rifle (purchased new is 2012).
They can't even consistently hit paper on a 17" target at 50 yards.
I now have a new friend at the range who is a very experienced long-time reloader who believes the BA bullets must be undersized.
He's willing to reload for me if I get the dies and bullet mold.
As for the bullet mold he's recommending a Lee mold (.515) 450gr so here's my question:

In all my research I haven't seen anyone mention more than 350gr so is there anything wrong shooting 450gr?
My friend assures me there's no issue,  but I'd like a second or third opinion.
Thanks.

mtmarfield:
   Greetings!

According to an Ideal Reloading Manual, (1890's) reprint, Wolfe Publishing 1991, the rearmost Mould List shows, "512138.(450gr.)
This bullet was first made by our Mr. Barlow for a heavier ball for the .50-95 Winchester. It was afterwards adopted as the standard bullet for the .50-110-450 (.50-100-450, actually) Winchester." (I'm assuming that this is the Mould being used.)
   I believe that A.C.Gould MAY have designed this bullet, and had the Ideal Co. cut the Mould for him, but those books are packed, and can't verify. My immediate assumption was that the bullet was designed for the Winchester Single-Shot (Hi-Wall) chambered for the same Ctg. My belief was that this longer bullet, if seated into the case SO AS TO CYCLE PROPERLY IN THE WIN. 1876, the bottom most lubricated grooves might protrude past the neck, into the powder, and cause powder contamination, or aggravate barrel fouling, whereas in the "Hi-Wall", one MIGHT be able to seat the bullet out enough to eliminate the possibility. I currently don't have an Ideal/Lyman #512138, so that I can't check this myself. Please do post with details, and let us know how this loading works for you, as I have wondered myself! If your friend has a different Mould, please post the Manufacturer/Number!

Be Well!

M.T.Marfield
                      7-05-15

hatman:

--- Quote from: mtmarfield on July 05, 2015, 10:58:56 PM ---   Greetings!

According to an Ideal Reloading Manual, (1890's) reprint, Wolfe Publishing 1991, the rearmost Mould List shows, "512138.(450gr.)
This bullet was first made by our Mr. Barlow for a heavier ball for the .50-95 Winchester. It was afterwards adopted as the standard bullet for the .50-110-450 (.50-100-450, actually) Winchester." (I'm assuming that this is the Mould being used.)
   I believe that A.C.Gould MAY have designed this bullet, and had the Ideal Co. cut the Mould for him, but those books are packed, and can't verify. My immediate assumption was that the bullet was designed for the Winchester Single-Shot (Hi-Wall) chambered for the same Ctg. My belief was that this longer bullet, if seated into the case SO AS TO CYCLE PROPERLY IN THE WIN. 1876, the bottom most lubricated grooves might protrude past the neck, into the powder, and cause powder contamination, or aggravate barrel fouling, whereas in the "Hi-Wall", one MIGHT be able to seat the bullet out enough to eliminate the possibility. I currently don't have an Ideal/Lyman #512138, so that I can't check this myself. Please do post with details, and let us know how this loading works for you, as I have wondered myself! If your friend has a different Mould, please post the Manufacturer/Number!

Be Well!

M.T.Marfield
                      7-05-15

--- End quote ---

Thanks M.T.
I will be sharing the words in your post with him.

Advertising:

ndnchf:
Hatman _ I hate to bust your bubble but I don't think that Lee 450gr bullet will work well in a '76.  That is a fine bullet for the .50-70, I use it myself.  But the 50-95 is an express round with a rate of twist designed for the lighter 300-375gr bullets.  That 450 bullet is not likely to stabilize in a '76.  Plus its extra length will reduce powder capacity and could cause overall length issues. Your new friend may be an experienced reloader, but if he does not have real first hand experience with a '76, he may be leading you down the wrong trail.  I recommend you slug your bore first and find out the groove size. Then look for bullets under 375gr that are around .001" over groove size.  Use the search function to search this forum for .50-95 loads and experience from others who have been there.  These rifles are capable of good accuracy, but you have to feed them a proper diet.

Waddie Bill:

See my posting of 1/26/15 under the Topic "Uberti Short Rifle" (1/24/15)

My loads are listed there.

Waddie Bill

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version