Special Interests - Groups & Societies > BROW

'Sposed to be....

(1/1)

Guns Garrett:
Perhaps I can get a little info here.  I have a Remington Rolling Block that is supposedly in .43 Spanish Reformado.  However, a chamber cast shows no bottleneck at all, but a slug through the bore does mike out at .446".  And yes. I did shoot it, (from a rest with a string) and a .43 Ref. case blows out to a straight-walled case, usually splitting the neck.  Otherwise the case shows no other deformation - no stretching, rings, or signs of high pressure.  (I used re-formed .348 Win brass from Buffalo Arms.)  Headspace checks out to be tight (checked by Dave Higgenbotham of Lone Star)  The receiver has no markings other than a numeral "9' or "6" (it's sideways) and the barrel is marked "FB" at he the top, right in front of the receiver.  The round barrel had an old, worn-out "Rough-and-Ready type laddersight, though the peep "Disk" was rectangular, rather than round.

It has been suggested that some previous owner may have fired too-short cartridges in it, and eroded out the shoulder in the chamber, but close inspection shows a very smooth,  almost polished, appearance.  I could find no apparent matches for any .44 cal. or 11.xx mm cartidges in my old 1969 version of Barnes' "Cartridges of the World".  Any idea or what I may have here?

Fox Creek Kid:
http://militaryrifles.com/Spain/Ovid-Rem.htm

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version