Author Topic: Trapdoor bayonet  (Read 429 times)

Offline LongWalker

• Top Active Citizen
  • GAF #: 911
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
Trapdoor bayonet
« on: December 17, 2023, 11:15:59 AM »
Whilst schlepping around the Holdrege gunshow last weekend, I was walking around with my trapdoor as trade bait.  Rumor was someone there had an 1866 and I was hoping to draw him out and maybe arrange a swap.  Anyhow, as usual, the Saturday crowd was rather . . . crowded.  I got the bright idea that  bayonet would be nice for clearing a path about the same time a friend said there were some bayonets on the table behind him, and the predictable happened. 

I picked up a decent bayonet in a US marked scabbard.  Unfortunately, the bayonet only goes on to the first turn: I'm not able to rotate it into place--and who wants to use a loose bayonet for crowd control?  Any suggestions for what I should/shouldn't do while getting it to go into place?

Thanks,
Jim
In my book a pioneer is a man who turned all the grass upside down, strung bob-wire over the dust that was left, poisoned the water, cut down the trees, killed the Indian who owned the land and called it progress.  Charles M. Russell

Offline Cap'n Redneck

• Commd'g Co. D, Frontier Batt'n, Texas Rangers.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Cap'n Redneck SWS #163.
  • GAF #: 273
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Trapdoor bayonet
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2023, 06:17:09 PM »
With the fear of stating the obvious I would suggest to take a file to the inside of the bayonet's socket, rather than to the outside of the rifle's barrel...?  8)
"As long as there's lead in the air, there's still hope..."
Frontiersman & Frontiersman Gunfighter: The only two categories where you can play with your balls and shoot your wad while tweaking the nipples on a pair of 44s.

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 422
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2023, 07:55:14 PM »
Brake Cylinder Hone
when planets align...do the deal !

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:07:10 PM »

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • 308 214-0082 45551 Rd 816, Sargent NE 68874 USA
    • Grand Army of the Frontier
  • SASS #: 74523
  • NCOWS #: L187
  • GAF #: 147
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2024, 02:57:16 PM »
Was the bayonet a repro?
I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2024, 03:25:26 PM »
Is the bayonet itself 'US' marked?

If not, a number of foreign bayonets were triangular bladed, so look carefully for proof marks at the 'J' bend of the piece - pretty much all will fit the issue scabbard and look 'right' until one tried to fix it to the barrel.

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline LongWalker

• Top Active Citizen
  • GAF #: 911
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2024, 02:39:13 PM »
The bayonet is US marked on the bend of the shank, and appears to be the correct pattern and dimensions. 

My trapdoor is a shooter that was previously "refinished" by an idiot (nicest way I can describe whoever did it).  Aside from the sanded stock and poly finish, the barrel was spray painted. . . .   On the bright side, it has my preferred rear sight, shoots very nicely, and was fairly priced for the condition. 

I used steel wool to remove the paint around the muzzle.  While the bayonet still doesn't turn and slot into place, the "fit" feels much better going that far.  I think my next step will be to go over rifle barrel and the slot in the bayonet with a magnifying glass looking for any burrs or dents that might be impeding the fit.  If need be I can make a hone and ream out the bayonet a couple .001" but I'd rather avoid that. 

Maybe I can even get around to re-bluing the barrel this winter. 
In my book a pioneer is a man who turned all the grass upside down, strung bob-wire over the dust that was left, poisoned the water, cut down the trees, killed the Indian who owned the land and called it progress.  Charles M. Russell

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • 308 214-0082 45551 Rd 816, Sargent NE 68874 USA
    • Grand Army of the Frontier
  • SASS #: 74523
  • NCOWS #: L187
  • GAF #: 147
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2024, 07:12:16 AM »
20 years or so ago I bought some paki import trapdoor bayonets for the living history program at Fort Hartsuff. Looking at them from the outside they were a dead ringer for an original, but they were tight on the barrel and the slot for the sight base just wasn't big enough. I worked on them with a file and got them to turn into place. That's why I asked if they could be repros. As I recall, about the only visual indication that the quality was subpar was the locking ring. It was loose and looked "off".
I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com