CAS TOPICS > Gunsmithing

1873 rifle headspace measurement

<< < (2/2)

Coffinmaker:
An OOB discharge usually has no effect on Head Space.  Bending the lever, yes.  But a bent lever is easy to spot as the lever won't close all the way although the bolt closes up.  Carrier Block Arm also won't affect Head Space.  Head Space is determined by the Links.  Very very difficult to "bend" links.

If the rifle has poor Head Space to begin with, a "Cut and Weld" shorty stroke usually makes it worse.  Short Stroke with link sets can usually correct bad Head Space so long as the manufacturer is known and it is known how far out of spec the Head Space is. 

Head Space is measured between the Cartridge Head and the Bolt Face.  Measured with the Bolt closed up in Battery.  Best measuring tool is a tapered set of feeler gages (Auto Parts Store).  Both Cowboys and Indian Store and Pioneer can provide longer length links.  Don't try to do it by eMail.  Best with a Phone call so questions can be answered.

Most forgot.  You can "get by" with Head Space of .006 - .008.  Once past .008 your flirting with light primer strike and fail to fire.

Ghostdevilguy:

Ghostdevilguy:
So I failed to mention, the main reason I believe it has an extended firing pin is because of how deep the primer strike was on the 357, and it worked 100% reliably. But I was also aware enough to notice the brass and look farther into the issues. I know a .025 headspace isn't right, now it's just a matter of getting her back into spec. Thanks for the help so far! Also, let me know if there are any more pictures needed

Advertising:

Coffinmaker:

:) Ghostdevelguy  ;)

Nice Rifle!!  Your links appear to be from Pioneer Gunworks.  I'd suggest giving them a call and ask if they can make you a longer set of links.  It also appears the Carrier Block Arm isn't lifting the Carrier Block all the way up.

Ghostdevilguy:
Thanks for the info Coffenmaker!

I will give Pioneer gunworks a call and probably get an new short stroke kit with lifter. After observing the action it also appears that the lifter starts to later than it should. It starts moving after the bolt is done moving, and from what I'm seeing it should just miss the bolt

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version