Author Topic: Goex FFF results.  (Read 4726 times)

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
Re: Goex FFF results.
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2021, 10:20:52 AM »

:)  Froogal   ;)

The Perfesser has excellent points (does a job on his hats though).  You've stumbled on something that works well for you and your guns.  Stick with it.  I've been using Breakfast Food for filler for years and years.  Cream-0-Wheat just works super well.  Since Cream-0-Wheat doesn't compress, makes just an excellent filler to produce compression with BP. 

Go For It
Stay safe out there

Offline Froogal

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3882
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 573
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2021, 10:30:44 AM »
:)  Froogal   ;)

The Perfesser has excellent points (does a job on his hats though).  You've stumbled on something that works well for you and your guns.  Stick with it.  I've been using Breakfast Food for filler for years and years.  Cream-0-Wheat just works super well.  Since Cream-0-Wheat doesn't compress, makes just an excellent filler to produce compression with BP. 

Go For It
Stay safe out there

I'm still learning. Even at 70 years old, and I welcome ALL input. I've shot this load so far in only one six-shooter. Haven't tried the rifle yet, but I expect it to work.

Offline Professor Marvel

• purveyor of useless items to the gentry
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • learn from the past, or be doomed to repeat it
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1118
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2021, 10:34:28 PM »
You make a good point. Pretty much the same conclusion that I came to. Also, cream of wheat is less costly than Goex, so this will let me stretch out my supply of powder.

Oh yes, cow IS cheaper than Goex!
I am certainly cheap frugal, and try to be pragmatic practical

Yhs
Prof Marvel
Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 02:27:39 PM »

Offline hellgate

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2021, 11:20:48 AM »
I haven't shot COW as a filler in years but do recall that it tended to scrub the bore and I had less fouling. It just meant that I needed another flask to pour the COW on top the powder. Woe to he who gets the flasks mixed up. Don't ask me how I know that. Uh, he was a "friend".  ::)
"Frontiersman: the only category where you can shoot your wad and play with your balls while tweeking the nipples on a pair of 44s." Canada Bill

Since I have 14+ guns, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of Cap&Ball. Now, that's a COMPLIMENT!

SASS#3302L
REGULATOR
RUCAS#58
Wolverton Mt. Peacekeepers
SCORRS
DGB#29
NRA Life
CASer since 1992

Offline Froogal

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2021, 04:00:58 PM »
I have now loaded about 300 .45 Colt cartridges with Goex fff and cream of wheat. I am a bit amazed at just how fast a guy can go through just one pound of powder. I have more brass, and bullets, and powder, but I have depleted my supply of large pistol primers. I am still okay, for now.

Offline Froogal

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2021, 11:59:41 AM »
I'm still learning. Even at 70 years old, and I welcome ALL input. I've shot this load so far in only one six-shooter. Haven't tried the rifle yet, but I expect it to work.

Okay. Got around to testing those loads in my rifle. Loaded 10, the first 2 rounds hit the targets as intended and the rest were all misses. Loaded up 10 more and ALL were misses. Went to the house and grabbed a box that was loaded with Unique, loaded 10, ALL were misses. Back to the house and gave the rifle a thorough cleaning and bore inspection. Looked good after cleaning. Loaded up again with the smokeless loads and the results were totally different. Hit the targets 9 out of 10 times, loaded up again and hit 9 times out of 10.

I'll try again with the black powder, but so far it looks like my Rossi '92 just doesn't like Goex FFF and cream of wheat.

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2021, 03:15:03 PM »
Froogal, I don't think you ever mentioned what bullet or lube you are using.  You need soft BP-compatible lube for the bullets.  The filler reduces the power and stretches your BP supply but doesn't keep the fouling soft.

Offline Froogal

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2021, 04:13:16 PM »
Froogal, I don't think you ever mentioned what bullet or lube you are using.  You need soft BP-compatible lube for the bullets.  The filler reduces the power and stretches your BP supply but doesn't keep the fouling soft.

I cast my own from 1-20 lead from Roto-Metals. 200 grain rnfp. SPG lube.

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2021, 06:07:28 PM »
What bullet are you using?  Might not have enough lube capacity for a 20" barrel?
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2021, 09:47:07 PM »
I think almost any bullet holds enough lube for a 20" barrel, unless the humidity is low.   For more than 2 shots, anyway!  My rifles are max 20", and my BP bullets are all smokeless bullets relubed with my homemade mix, and has always been fine.  But there is usually some humidity here.

Offline Froogal

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2021, 07:54:29 AM »
Just for the record, there was NO indication of leading in the barrel. It was just fouling from the powder. I squirted some Ballistol down the barrel, let it soak for a bit, and then ran HOT water through it, followed with a bore snake. The bore was then clean. NO fouling. NO leading, and then the smokeless loads worked just fine.

Offline hellgate

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2021, 08:32:39 PM »
Here's my experience. I would have liked to use the Snakebite  "Greasewagon" bullet (from BigLube.com) but it did not feed reliably enough for me in my Rossi '92s. YMMV. Here's what I found: I could shoot the Lyman 158gr 358311 bullet with a BP lube into 1.5"@50 yds if I did a "pull through" (wet swab) between stages. The problem was I got tired of having black gunk splat onto my shirt sleeves that doesn't come out in the wash. So I found that the same load in the 357 Mag of 22 grs FFFg would shoot all day if I put two beeswax discs under the bullet before seating. That gave it the extra lube it needed. The problem was that load grouped about 5-6"@50 yards which, at the time was not acceptable to me so I went to 15grs (wt) of FFFg 777 and never looked back (tight group and no fouling to speak of). One thing that has changed is the rifle targets have gotten a lot closer than in the Old Days of SASS. A 5-6" group would not be a handicap now that the targets are only about 10 yards out. The beeswax discs were made of medium brood core for beekeepers. Check beekeeping suppliers for better prices but hobby stores carry it in colored sheets to be rolled around candle wicks for candle making.
So, if I can no longer get 3F 777 I will gladly go back to FFF Goex and add the beeswax discs and shoot all  day.
"Frontiersman: the only category where you can shoot your wad and play with your balls while tweeking the nipples on a pair of 44s." Canada Bill

Since I have 14+ guns, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of Cap&Ball. Now, that's a COMPLIMENT!

SASS#3302L
REGULATOR
RUCAS#58
SCORRS
DGB#29
NRA Life
CASer since 1992

Offline Froogal

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2021, 07:42:24 AM »
Okay. I put 30+ rounds of the Goex/cream of wheat loads through my Uberti 7 1/2" barrel yesterday. All were as accurate as I am and no fouling or leading. Do I try those loads in the rifle again?

Offline hellgate

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2021, 12:16:10 PM »
Shoot another 10. If it fouls out after a few rounds you have confirmed the fact that your rifle doesn't like the load. The BP/COW loads generally work well in the shorter barreled pistols. A soft BP type lube might make the difference in your Rossi with the COW loads. I am guessing the COW gets spread out in the longer rifle barrel and the last 4-8" are dry crudded up. You can tell by dropping a weighted cord and a dry swab down the chamber and as you pull toward the muzzle you will feel the buildup. A BP lube might make the fouling just soft enough to get scrubbed out by the COW.

SASS#3302L
REGULATOR
RUCAS#58
SCORRS
DGB#29
NRA Life
CASer since 1992

Offline Froogal

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2021, 01:55:24 PM »
Shoot another 10. If it fouls out after a few rounds you have confirmed the fact that your rifle doesn't like the load. The BP/COW loads generally work well in the shorter barreled pistols. A soft BP type lube might make the difference in your Rossi with the COW loads. I am guessing the COW gets spread out in the longer rifle barrel and the last 4-8" are dry crudded up. You can tell by dropping a weighted cord and a dry swab down the chamber and as you pull toward the muzzle you will feel the buildup. A BP lube might make the fouling just soft enough to get scrubbed out by the COW.

I am considering loading up a few more with straight Goex, or maybe some Old Eynsford and NOT use any COW. Wondering if that might make a difference?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com