Author Topic: Teaching Yourself to Improve, Pt 1. Shooting time vs. non-shooting time  (Read 9210 times)

Offline Doc Shapiro

• Top Active Citizen
    • Custom Handmade Pistol Grips
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
I've been asked to write an article for the first W3G magazine.  There are parts that will stand alone as brief windows into how the top shooters look at, analyze, and practice.  I'm hoping that this will prove interesting.  Here's part 1, shooting time and non-shooting time:

Every action involved in shooting a course of fire, from each part of the draw and presentation, to each gun-to-gun transition, to actually shooting the gun can be broken down into 1 of 2 categories. Shooting time and non-shooting time.

To explain this, let’s first look at the draw. The non-shooting part of the draw is the part that occurs from holster to where both hands come together (for 2-handed shooters), or to where the front sight becomes visible in peripheral vision (for duelists/gunfighters).  The shooting time goes from there until after the 5th bullet has left the barrel. Then non-shooting time to get it back in the holster.

Once you have broken the action into shooting time and non-shooting time, you can start to determine how to make it faster and more efficient. The non-shooting parts you should do as fast as you can move. The shooting parts must be done at the pace of good target hits.

Every gun-to-gun transition can be broken down like this, as can other actions such as loading a shotgun. In this case, the trip to the belt and back to the gun is non-shooting time. Getting the shell(s) into the gun and shooting the target(s) is shooting time.

Doc

Offline Doc Shapiro

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Teaching Yourself to Improve, Pt 1. Shooting time vs. non-shooting time
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2004, 01:43:22 PM »
Is anyone finding this interesting?  Should I continue to add to the series?

Doc

Offline Kid Cavalier

• Have Cards Will Travel
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Kid Cavalier
  • SASS #: 35602
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2004, 05:31:29 PM »
Doc,
I for one want to hear more.  I don't practice except for 30+ seconds at a time when I'm at a shoot :)

I'd specially like to see drills that you can do without firin actual loads.  That kind of practice I could do at home.

I really like the concept of an area on this board for improving your abilities.  An idea whose time has come!!!
KID CAVALIER
Maker of Fine Gunleather

Advertising

Offline Prof. Bullspit

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2004, 06:07:33 PM »
I read this post and started to reply but got interrupted. I too enjoyed the information but I want more!

Thinking about the movement in a stage in these two ways had not occurred to me. I for one would love to know how one practices differently (if at all) when concentrating on one of the two types of movements.

Thanks!

Offline Doc Shapiro

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2004, 07:19:17 PM »
Howdy Prof.

As I said toward the end of the article above, the non shooting parts should be done just as fast as you can.  I don't know how you can practice for that other than to just do it!

The shooting parts need to be controlled and focused.  Again, you have to practice them.

The real trick is to be able to switch back and forth instantly as the situation demands.  Practice!  And learn what you need to see (that's the next installment).

Doc

Offline Wrangler Rich

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2004, 09:26:50 PM »
Thanks for taking the time to post your thoughts and observations here for all to see and absorb.  You are a credit to the shooting sports, and I appreciate your efforts.

Thanks again Doc,
Hiram's Ranger # 10
It's not like it used to be, but it'll do.

Offline Vin Weasel

• Singin' Cowboy
  • Active citizen
  • Green River, WY
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2004, 01:41:56 PM »
Keep it up, Doc!  I've seen by your posts that you have a wealth of knowledge about CAS, W3G, etc. and the firearms involved, and I'm very grateful to you for sharing with us.  Keep it coming.

Vin
"Let 'er buck."

SASS #60291
NRA
BASS
Presidential Prayer Team
PBR

Offline Jax Orebetter

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Jax's Poker Table
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2004, 03:43:27 PM »
If you write it, I'll probably read it. So, keep it comming, Doc!
Time to fold,
Jax Orebetter
~WARTHOG~

Offline john boy

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2004, 04:40:39 PM »
Doc: From a system process, you have identified the 2 basic physical parts of the system.  Note the word 'physical'
Included in the system process (and not being picky), there is also mental components of non-shooting and shooting parts of the system that link to 2 together.
Putting them together is the 'cradle to grave' component process from the point when the buzzer goes off.

From a training aspect, one should analyze both the physical and mental process steps.  Then...
...if physical is weak, identify the compents to increase or better them as a function of time
...if mental is weak develop exercises to better or increase them in conjuction with the physical. 

Here's a far off the wall example:
...Sit on the toilet with the lid up
...Spit between your legs into the bowl without spitting on your legs and not looking down.???
And no, I'm only smoke tobacco!
It's both both physical and mental
Regards
SHOTS Master John Boy

WartHog ...
Brevet 1st Lt, Scout Company, Department of the Atlantic
SASS  ~  SCORRS ~ OGB with Star

Devote Convert to BPCR

Offline Micheal Fortune

• Top Active Citizen
    • Micheal Fortune
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2004, 01:06:11 PM »
Well heck yes Doc we want to hear more!

You're doing a great job, thanks for the hard work!

Fortune
Saloon Keeper, Gambler, Shootist
Sun River Rangers Shooting Society / SASS 60159 / R.O.-1 / SBSS 1685 / G.O.F.W.G. 89 / RATS 58 / KGC 4 /

Offline Doc Shapiro

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2004, 10:35:22 AM »
John Boy, yup you are correct.  I've found that it's easier to teach the physical first and then work the mental part in.  But that's me.  Others may have different results.  I will be posting information on both aspects.

Doc

Offline Doc Workday

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2004, 12:21:21 AM »
Thanks for the input Doc.
That's Half Day in the Avatar Thanks Ruff

Offline Tommy tornado

• Top Active Citizen
  • Keep your pants and your powder dry.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2004, 02:01:59 PM »
Doc, I think anytime I can get advice from a guy like you 8), I had better listen up.  Thanks for posting the free information.  You truely are one of the great people of the sport.  Bye the way, I have really enjoyed your black powder reloading book.
Keep your pants and your powder dry!
# 356056

Offline Dakota Sharp Shooter

• Active citizen
  • Sit still ya dad blamed rabbit
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2005, 08:09:35 AM »
I am pretty knew to this wire, and would enjoy the benifit of any posts that kin help me to be a better shooter. Right now I shoot Gunfighter, and get timed with a sundial, the only problem that I have incountered with this method is when the clouds and rain come in. ;D

Dakota Sharp Shooter
Soot Serf WORTHOG Gunfighter
SCORRS
SBSS #1435 Golden Bullet Imortal
GOFWG #66
RATS #139

Offline litl rooster

• Retired Cowboy... with saddle a 94 and the good book
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
Doc, being new to SASS type competion (and it is tuff) I need all the help I can get. Thanks for your efforts
Mathew 5.9

Offline blue drifter

• semper fi blue drifter
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
doc

doc please keep going i think its great.anything that you don't use live ammo to pratice is great !!!
 i never could figger out why every monday all my neighbor were fixing broken windows???
 well i think i got it know.................  ;)
semper fi, dav, blue drifter

Offline Camille Eonich

• Top Active Citizen
    • Stump Water and Camille Eonich's Website
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
bumpity ;D
“Extremism is so easy. You've got your position, and that's it. It doesn't take much thought. And when you go far enough to the right you meet the same idiots coming around from the left.”
― Clint Eastwood

Offline judge Walker

• Brazos Rangers
  • Citizen
  • The Law is tendered with a 45
  • Liked:
Howdy Doc,
Well you have something going here and need to keep it going. Some of us at the Brazos Rangers will shoot from the hip, known as point and shoot, by pointing your trigger finger at a target and using your depth perseption of barrel level it will get faster. This can be practiced with a small pin light to see where the shoots are placed.  Most of us never use sights only barrel placement.
Judge Walker

Offline Camille Eonich

• Top Active Citizen
    • Stump Water and Camille Eonich's Website
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2006, 06:06:33 PM »
bump for potential visitors
“Extremism is so easy. You've got your position, and that's it. It doesn't take much thought. And when you go far enough to the right you meet the same idiots coming around from the left.”
― Clint Eastwood

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com