Author Topic: 1860 Henry replica of nothing Made in the USA  (Read 6177 times)

Offline ghunt

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
1860 Henry replica of nothing Made in the USA
« on: January 24, 2006, 08:08:56 PM »
I'm not a member yet cuse I can't come up with a clever handle. Dont want to sound like as city slicker.
I too bought a replica of nothing in 44 special/ 44 mag before doing more research or checking out CAS web sight. None the less I got one, it sure is purdy, looks good hanging on the wall and it matches my 2 ss RATS.
The first box of store bought cowboy loads i ran through it was a strugle. They kept getting jamed, I mean jamed so much that the owner of the range and I had to drive one round out. Do not try this at home. That was the most unsettleing thing I've ever done.
Some one slamed a door behind us and we thought we had both been blown up.
Sent it back to Henry for a fix, no problem, did a little work and sent it back. The FIX was grinding the bottom of the reciever end of the barrel a bit. My 12 year old grandson could have done a better job. I got mad and figured that it was my $600.00 and thet I could do no worse. Dissembled and got out my tool and die files, filed out their grinder marks and improved the job they started, polished up that and the lifter removed all the sharp edges in carrier lifter area so that nothing would get hung up.
The store bought cowboy loads I bought had a crimp, like a belt half way down the case and a very rough bullet. I now load my own and this past weekend went back to the range and ran about 200 rounds through it and not one hang up. Works great now and is getting slicker with use.
I like it, It's made In the USA, and I got it.    It really does shoot well.

George Hunt

Online Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 110
Re: 1860 Henry replica of nothing Made in the USA
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2006, 09:35:34 AM »
I'm glad its working good for you now.

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Offline Col. Riddles

• Top Active Citizen
  • Whar's thet dadblasted Yankee?
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2006, 11:45:41 PM »
Sounds like you have a Henry Big Boy made by Henry Repeating Arms of Brooklyn, N.Y., not a reproduction 1860 Henry made by Uberti in Italy.
God answers knee mail † ><>
BOLD
SCORRS
SASS 7462 Life

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:25:15 AM »

Offline Just George

• Just George SASS#68097
  • Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2006, 12:55:20 PM »
I have a Henry Repeating Arms Big Boy (45LC) and got into this forum stuff several weeks ago.  I've been out of town and away from computers (Wow!  How's that work?).  I felt sort of blasted when I also found out that my good shooting American made Henry is a replica of nothing.  There are many reasons for the opinions given in this forum.  All are justified as far as I am concerned.  But lets all not forget that Ruger also make a replica of nothing that everyone just raves about.  My "Henry" looks good, shoots good and sorta looks like the real (old) thing.  All this, and American made as well.  I had a eject problem after shooting about 100 rounds on the same day.  Cleaned it and no jams now.  I also contacted Henry and got the same answer as you did.  A little different, but same meaning.

Lets just shoot!
Listen to the wind.  Talk to the smoke.  Watch the moon.

9th Inf Div, RVN, 66/67
AAA-0

Offline Sheriff A.E. Moses

• Very Active Citizen
    • Millbrook Wranglers
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2006, 11:12:17 AM »
ghunt -
I don't mean to make light of your gun problems, but when I read the part about the door slamming behind you, I about busted a gut laffing!!!!
I know exactly what you are stating as I have been there with other guns and unsettling does not do justice to the feeling, but anyway at your expense, thanks for making my day!
Sheriff A.E. Moses
First Duly Elected Sheriff
Graham County Kansas
~:~1880 - 1881~:~
Cowboy Action Shooter
~:~1999 - 2011~:~
=-=B.O.L.D. - 14=-=
http://www.millbrook.ruraltel.net

Offline EZWriter

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2006, 06:50:34 PM »
George,you may have a lever-gun that ain't exactly the one a lot of others would have chosen, but what you do have, and in spades at that, is the one thing that draws people to cowboy action shootin in the first place, namely an attitude that if it ain't right, I ain't gonna go out and hire a lawyer and sue somebody, but will roll up my sleeves and fix it myself. You'll eventually wear out that gun, and then you might or might not decide you'd rather have another brand, but whether you know it or not, you've already got the most important thing a cowboy can have; a can-do attitude and unwillingness to quit. And you don't sound like you're the worst gunsmith I've ever met neither.
Cowboy'in can use more like you.
See ya around,
Lonesome Roads

Offline RowdyBill

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2006, 10:08:27 PM »
What's that John Wayne says in "The War Wagon"?  "Those guards each have two Colt revolvers and a Henry Big Boy rifle with 200 rounds of ammunition."

Nah, it's "Those guards each have two Colts and a Henry rifle with 200 rounds of ammunition."  That's it.

Offline Just George

• Just George SASS#68097
  • Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2006, 01:09:59 PM »
Well, I just gotta throw this one in.  I finally made my first shoot!  I could only shoot 1-stage of 6 due to a prior engagement.  WHAT A BLAST!  The local club members were very nice, helpful and gave me so much help.  The stage I shot required a 1-round re-load of the rifle, on the clock.  Well, now I see why everyone shoots a Winchester type.  I shot my 6-rounds and then had to load through the tube.  The RO asked if I could load 1-round into the chamber rather than the tube.  I didn't know(and still don't.  Haven't had tome to try).  The safety officer/instructor also had a comment about the lever action.  Seems that if you remove 1-coil from the spring inside the lever, and smooth the edges of the little square goodie at the bottom, the works will work better.  I may try that.  My Big Boy (45LC) shoots very well and is right on at 50yds (A bit better than me).  I have found that cleanning it results in almost no 'haystacks' now.  I did have the last round fail to fly out of the chamber at the shoot.  I guess I didn't work the action enough at the end.
Listen to the wind.  Talk to the smoke.  Watch the moon.

9th Inf Div, RVN, 66/67
AAA-0

Offline Memphis Mortician

• Citizen
    • Henry Repeating Arms
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2006, 10:12:38 AM »
George, you can put one into the open action through the ejection port with no problem.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com