Author Topic: .45 ACP+P in a NON RUGER SAA?  (Read 6938 times)

Offline Virginia Gentleman

• Top Active Citizen
  • Here's a McRib for Allah
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 24
.45 ACP+P in a NON RUGER SAA?
« on: December 12, 2005, 08:16:53 AM »
Is it safe to shoot .45 ACP +P in a SAA with the .45 ACP cylinder.  The reason I ask is it can generate pressures of 22,000 CUP.

Offline deucedaddyj

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: .45 ACP+P in a NON RUGER SAA?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2005, 08:34:13 AM »
I've always wondered, what exactly does the +P stand for?

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2005, 11:44:43 AM »
Extra pressure and velocity hence +P.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:26:57 AM »

Offline deucedaddyj

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2005, 11:59:44 AM »
Ahhhhhhhh..... Thanks for clearing that up.

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2005, 12:06:01 AM »
Does anyone know or have experience good or bad using .45 ACP+P in the spare cylinder?

jiminy criquet

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2005, 11:23:43 AM »
I've got two .45ACP Remington New Model Army cartridge conversions which I made using the Kirst cylinders.  One's a Pietta with a 4" barrel, and the other is a smaller (Navy) framed Armi San Paulo with a 5" barrel.  I've shot them repeatedly using factory .45ACP rounds, and they are a handful with just the standard velocity factory rounds.  The .45 ACP was made to be fired in a semi-automatic pistol where the recoil was tamed somewhat by the cycling of the action.  In a SAA revolver the .45ACP is just plain brutal, and kicks like a mule.  While I would have no problem trusting the revolvers to stand up to the use of +P rounds, I certainly wouldn't relish the idea of being the one holding on to them knowing how they kick with standard velocity ammunition.  (As it is, after shooting a regular 5 stage CAS match with them, my middle finger(s) swell up from being battered by the trigger guard. And that's only 25 rounds of standard velocity factory .45ACP.)  Ouch.

By the way, don't let anyone fool you into thinking that .45ACP recoil isn't stout in a revolver.  It is.  And it is not what I would call 'pleasant' to shoot.  'Fun' yes.  "Pleasant' no.

Here's a photo of them: (Now the .38 LC with the long barrel at the bottom of the photo is sweet to shoot :)

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2005, 01:40:53 PM »
I spoke with US Fire Arms today and the official line was "no", don't shoot .45 ACP +P out of the .45 ACP cylinder as it will void the warranty.  That was the legal answer I got.  From an engineering standpoint, it should hold up, but will put more wear and tear on the gun as one might expect.  I have noticed too that .45 ACP out of a SAA type gun is not a light wadcutter recoil either, but easier for me to hit with better accuracy than standard loaded .45 Colt.  In a double action gun like a S&W 625, it is a pussy cat compared to other big bore rounds, but then again the 625 has nice recoil absorbing Hogue rubber grips.

Offline Big John Denny

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2005, 02:21:18 PM »
My only question would be is the 45 ACP even legal to use in a SASS Main Match. I believe it has to be a cowboy round used in the period. I know that 1911 style pistols firing 45 ACP can be used in Wild Bunch shoots, and maybe side matches, but I don't believe it's approved for Main Match use.
Big John Denny, SASS 64775
US Army Retired
Los Vaqueros
BOLD #661
GOFWG #240
SBSS #1780 (Order of the Golden Bullet)
NMLRA
NRA
"Aim small....Miss small"

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2005, 04:17:56 PM »
Probably not considering they don't make a period rifle that is chambered for the round.  It would be legal I guess if you custom modified a lever action or pump rifle design from the period that could handle .45 ACP and do it safely by using handloads that used a flat nosed lead bullet to prevent the rounds from hitting the primer of a round on top of it in the tubular magazine.  I guess you could make it legal, but why go through all that trouble?  The .45 ACP cylinder in a SAA type gun would be very useful for cheaper ammo costs and use for good self defense loads if the gun were used for that purpose.  I like it for being able to shoot my SAAs and 1911 or Thompson with the same ammo during a range session.  One guy I know loaded .45 ACP rounds with 250 grain lead RNFP bullets with a compressed load of 23 grains of black powder and shot it out of his Thompson 1927-A1 for kicks.  It was funny to watch because he seemed to disappear in a cloud of smoke, but all the rounds functioned the action to my surprise.  He was only able to shoot two 30 round sticks through it before it started to jam from all the black powder fouling.  He later told me he had to take it apart and clean it hot soapy water in the laundry room tub, much to the chagrin of his wife and it was a laborious task he didn't want to do again.

Offline RICO

• RICO
  • Citizen
  • RICO
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2006, 01:40:08 PM »
Just so you all will know I have shot a main match with two rugers w/ 45 ACP cylinders and a Marlin lever gun that was coverted to 45 ACP from 44Mag. It was different ! The rules say pistol cal., 45 ACP cal. is pistol cal.
 It's one of those things, I WANTED one. No further explanation.  RICO

P.S. I'm looking for a 45 ACP cylinder for a Colt SAA (3rd gen.). If you have one you let go, e-mail me at wgkidd@verizon.net 
S.A.S.S. #9760 Life
Cajon Cowboys #C84
B.O.L.D. #345
LASSOOS #45

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com