Author Topic: '66 Vs. '73  (Read 9220 times)

Offline Pitspitr

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • 308 214-0082 45551 Rd 816, Sargent NE 68874 USA
    • Grand Army of the Frontier
  • SASS #: 74523
  • NCOWS #: L187
  • GAF #: 147
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
'66 Vs. '73
« on: December 20, 2007, 06:31:16 AM »
All else being equal (maker, barrel length, caliber, ect.) what are the inherent charictaristics (pros and cons) of each? For instance at one time I was hearing that one (I forget which) had problems with the loading gate spring.

What are your opinions?
I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

Offline Deadeye Don

• SASS # 76281
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • DeadeyeDon
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: '66 Vs. '73
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2007, 07:25:27 AM »
They are both toggle link guns, but the 73 is a more "modern" weapon.  The repro 66 has the loading gate problem.  The tab on the loading gate that keeps the ammo from slipping back too far breaks off and the gun jams.  It is not fun especially during a match.  Trust me.  If you get the 66 I would just order an improved loading gate.  It is very simple to install.  By the way there is really no loading gate "spring" just a one piece loading gate that has a very small tab on the side that breaks off.  Personally, I have both a 66 and a 73 and would not part with either one.  They are simply a continuing lineage of Winchester innovations. The 73 is a bit easier to clean as the side plate comes off really easy. The 73 has a dust cover and the 66 does not.  Others will have more specific technical information for you.  Regards.  Deadeye.

PS while I was at it, I replaced the mag spring with a stainless one from The Cowboy and Indian Store.
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

Offline Pitspitr

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2007, 02:58:36 PM »
Thanks DD
What about the sights? are they the same or are they different?

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:14:20 AM »

Offline Silver_Rings

• Top Active Citizen
  • Gunfighter who shoots for fun.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2007, 03:41:05 PM »
A major difference is the 73 has a safety that will keep it from firing unless the lever is fully closed.  I don't remember the correct name for it but it is a small thingy that sticks out of the bottom of the rifle where the lever will press up on it when it is held close.

SR 
Gunfighter, SASS 27466, NRA Life, GOFWG, BOSS, RO 1, RO 2

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1218
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2007, 05:37:20 PM »
Pitspitr,
On current production Ubertis, the sights are the same on the octagon barrel rifles (semi-buckhorn on the rear, dovetailed blade on the front).

On the carbines, the '73 has a folding ladder sight.  In the down position (for normal shooting) the sight is flat with a small V-notch.  The '66 carbine has a folding rear sight that has no flat top, just a big V.  If you fold it, you get a similar V but taller.  The front sights on carbines are similar, blades on top of barrel bands, but the '66 blade is round when looked at from the side, and the blade on the '73 is rounded on the front but flat in the back.

Offline Deadeye Don

• SASS # 76281
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • DeadeyeDon
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2007, 09:37:51 AM »
A major difference is the 73 has a safety that will keep it from firing unless the lever is fully closed.  I don't remember the correct name for it but it is a small thingy that sticks out of the bottom of the rifle where the lever will press up on it when it is held close.

SR 

Oh I forgot about that "safety".  Well it is authentic to the 73 and takes some getting use to, but after a while you wont notice it is even there.  The 1876 has the same safety.

Offline Pitspitr

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2007, 10:15:16 AM »
Thanks Guys,
The reason I was asking was that I had a '73 but recently gave it to my son. (He was claiming it anyway) I was going to replace it and Cabela's had a "66 on the shelf and was thinking about it. I didn't like the buckhorn sight that was on the '73 but the one on the '66 that I looked at Cabela's was a lot better. Evidently it was just the difference in importer specs. After reading about the loading gate failures on the '66, I think I'll go ahead and take the time to order the '73.

Ok, now what about barrel lengths?

Thanks again!

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2007, 10:28:17 AM »
The lever safety is a consideration if you're a fast shooter. You don't want to set a round off before the toggle link is locked. Bad things happen that way. Other than that, I like both models. The internals are basically the same. The '73 is a little easier to take apart for cleaning and you won't cut your fingers on the sharp edges of the side plates but that'a minor consideration. I think same barrel lengths are equipped the same, but there may be a difference I'm not aware of. I usually change the sights, anyway. A Marble's front sight (rifle only, not on a carbine) is only $15 or so. The rear can also be switched for a few dollars more if you like. Heck, which one do you like better?

I have a '73 carbine and a '73 short rifle. I like the short rifle better. As mentioned, the front sight is easier to change. Also, the 20" octagonal barrel helps steady the rifle more than the 19" round one on the carbine and I don't notice much difference in changing my aim from one target to another.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Offline Pitspitr

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2007, 10:53:56 AM »
What I meant about Barrel lengths was, What length do you all like. My Henry is 26" (I think) and the '73 was/is 20". I almost never miss with the Henry, but the '73 seems faster. What length do y'all like?
About the rear sight I like the buckhorn just fine but on the '73 I had it had a V notch and didn't seem all that conducive to good sighting. The '66 I was looking at had a deep square bottomed notch that seemed to fit the front sight blade better. I was just wondering if it was a difference in models or if it was just the difference in importer's specifications. If my next '73 comes with a V notch, I think I'll take a dremel tool to it.

Oh, and BTW the lever safety probably won't come into play much for me. I'm not very fast  ;)

Offline Deadeye Don

• SASS # 76281
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • DeadeyeDon
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2007, 11:17:32 AM »
I would hate for you to avoid the 66 just because of the loading gate issue.  It really isnt that big of a deal if you go ahead and either replace it before it breaks OR there are ways to reinforce it too.  The 1866 is a fine gun and is used by ALOT of CAS shooters.  Regards.  Deadeye.

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2007, 11:32:47 AM »
What I meant about Barrel lengths was, What length do you all like. My Henry is 26" (I think) and the '73 was/is 20". I almost never miss with the Henry, but the '73 seems faster. What length do y'all like?

Howdy, boys.

Ain’t got a ’60, ’66 or a ’73. Do have a couple rifles I shoot, one with a round 20” barrel ‘n one with a 26” octagonal barrel. The difference in weight is noticeable.

The short one is quicker for me. It’s easier to handle ‘n at the distances we shoot the difference sight radius isn’t a factor worth considerin’, I think. I use the long one these days. It looks better snortin’ smoke, fire ‘n stink than the l’il one.

Course, all that could be just me. FWIW…
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn’t be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it ‘n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2007, 01:09:17 PM »
About the rear sight I like the buckhorn just fine but on the '73 I had it had a V notch and didn't seem all that conducive to good sighting. The '66 I was looking at had a deep square bottomed notch that seemed to fit the front sight blade better. I was just wondering if it was a difference in models or if it was just the difference in importer's specifications. If my next '73 comes with a V notch, I think I'll take a dremel tool to it.

Oh, and BTW the lever safety probably won't come into play much for me. I'm not very fast  ;)
OK, I prefer 20". It gives a good balance but still has a little mass to keep it steady. I've shot a 26 and it's too much to be wielding around. 19" is OK but a bit light for my taste.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Offline Will Blastem

• Top Active Citizen
  • You stage 'em...Will Blastem
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2007, 02:40:24 PM »

I bought a 73 this year through Cody Cohnager...the 18 1/2" Trapper model with straight stock. I really like the way the 18 1/2" octagonal barrel swings from target to target. Mine is in .357 and is a tack driver out to 100 yds. I personally don't like the sights on any of the rifles or carbines...I prefer the rear cowboy sights from XS and I always go with the Grabber with the .130 bead...just works real well for me :)
You Stage 'em, Will Blastem
KC's Corral at Black Creek
Masonic Cowboy Shootist
Hiram's Rangers #25
RATS #314
Vietnam  Ist Air Cav 67-68

Offline Wymore Wrangler

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2007, 09:43:04 PM »
Pitspitr, you can get the improved loading gate from Brass Action Gunshop in Fremont for around 15 dollars, great guy to deal with and stands behind his product, I actually broke a new one and he replaced it free of charge.  The Henry barrel is 24 inches in length, you can get the 73 or 66 in that length also.  The 66 rifle has a flat ladder sight, I personally like the buckhorn style and had a 1874 Sharps Rifle sight but on my 66, cost a few dollars but worth it.  I've got both a 24 inch and a 20 inch short rifle 73, the short rifle is alot quicker on the targets.  If you head down to Lincoln anytime soon, head south a little further and you can handle mine and shoot them also...  And Merry Christmas Jerry to you and your family.... ;D
Fast horses for sale, Discount for newly minted gold coins, no questions asked....

Offline Dr. Bob

• Dr. Bob
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Physician and Sporting Gent aka Bob Dorian
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2007, 11:36:40 PM »
Pitspitr,

I am real happy with my short rifle.  Holds steady and handles well for me.
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

Offline Major E A Sterner

• "Honorary Southern Gentleman"
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 12916L
  • GAF #: 118
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 126
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2007, 07:55:40 PM »
Pitspitr, I have a 73 with 24 inch barrel and a 66 with the 20, I prefer the shorter barrel for CAS, as said before it handles better The weight is just where I like it to be. If I could find a 20 inch 73, I'd trade off or sell my 24 in a heartbeat.

Hope Y'all have a Merry Christmas
Respectfully,Major E.A. Sterner
G.A.F #118
R.A.T.S.#125
"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge nor jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - Jeff Cooper

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com