Special Interests - Groups & Societies > The Winchester Model 1873

carbine front sight height

(1/1)

bear tooth billy:
My girlfriend bought an original 73 carbine, good condition other than the front sight is wore down.
Plenty of scabbard hours I'm guessing. it shoots high and I want to build the sight back to original height.
Any info on what that height would have been  Thanks 

BTB

Coffinmaker:

:) Billy  ;)

Nadia Clue.  Have never measured an original.  In fact have never measured a repro either.  My solution however, would be to use a small very narrow file to cut a slot in the the sight post (solid post on the barrel??) and fit a nice piece of sheet brass and file that to better height.

dusty texian:

--- Quote from: bear tooth billy on July 01, 2023, 09:10:04 AM ---My girlfriend bought an original 73 carbine, good condition other than the front sight is wore down.
Plenty of scabbard hours I'm guessing. it shoots high and I want to build the sight back to original height.
Any info on what that height would have been  Thanks 

BTB

--- End quote ---
        Just measured the 1873 Carbine 44 wcf made in 1892 that looks like new , and it is .270 just over 1/4" high,,,DT

Advertising:

bear tooth billy:
I filled what was left of the sight flat. I had a brass shotgun bead from Brownell's I drilled and tapped with a bottoming
tap, the #13 bead, turned out just right. She tried last night and shot a 5 shot 2" group, with up and down right in the
center of the target. Pretty good for a beginner and 131 year old gun  Thanks

BTB

Montana Slim:
Congrats on her finding an original with good bore!
Too late for my tip, but you might find it helpful someday. I cut a piece of thin cardboard to be a tall front blade. Then tape both sides to the barrel - making a tall cardboard front sight. Take to range, don't forget your scissors - shoot & trim height until it suits & that's your correct height. I've used a few times on revolvers & a few other times for my Dad on a 73 Springfield & assorted CW carbines.

Slim.

BTW, I've been shooting at ZnZ Ranch (znzranch.com) which is a bit NW of IA City. 2nd Saturday. A few regulars are familiar faces from NCOWS.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version