Author Topic: Gun Belt tooling pattern  (Read 747 times)

Offline Davem

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Gun Belt tooling pattern
« on: May 25, 2022, 10:06:08 AM »
My upcoming project is to try carving on a cartridge belt.  I've made leather items for years but I've just got into carving. I am finishing my second double loop holster and I'm really enjoying this new aspect of leather work. Instead of linen stitching I'm using 3/16" rawhide lace which adds yet another dimension.
The cartridge belt will have 18 loops. In that area I plan to create a long rectangle without any tooling, just create the loops. I will then have tooling from either end of the loops to the ends of the belt.  Belt will be about 2 1/16" wide with borders. The area to tool/carve will be a little over 1 1/2" wide.  I've been looking for a pattern and haven't found much. If any of you have such a pattern and can post it, I'd be very grateful. Thanks.
If you haven't tried carving- do so. I have always kept bits and pieces of leather, I've now used them for practice.

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
Re: Gun Belt tooling pattern
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2022, 10:44:14 AM »
Al Stohlman's book "Belts Galore" has a lot of good patterns and ideas in it. You might be able to modify one of those to suit your belt need.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Offline Capt Quirk

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Smoke Wagon Leather Works
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2022, 03:09:31 PM »
Tandy has two more books, not going to guarantee the correct names, but one is lucky eight belts, which has many nice patterns for belts. Then they have some for gunbelts, which have nice patterns too. Packing iron has great historical pics as well, for more authentic tastes

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:17:03 AM »

Offline Davem

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2022, 12:13:09 PM »
I'm lucky enough to have a Tandy in my area. I looked over belts galore, good source but what I'm doing is sort of unique.  What I've been doing on my last few projects is taking a leaf here, a flower there, and making my own pattern. The only problem so far is I don't want a lot of background so I spend considerable time which is actually part of the fun.
My upcoming project will have a one piece leather belt- no sewn on tongue and buckle strap, and the loops will be the type that are in and out the same hole. I try to make every project different so as to gain some sort of idea on the "ultimate" rig.

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2022, 02:52:42 PM »
I try to make every project different so as to gain some sort of idea on the "ultimate" rig.
This is kind of illusive for me since my likes and needs change.

As you mentioned, working up tooling patterns can be a whole lot of fun. When you're done, your pattern is all yours. I look forward to seeing what you end up doing.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com