Author Topic: Gunsmith for Richards Type 1??  (Read 1442 times)

Offline Sage613

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Gunsmith for Richards Type 1??
« on: October 26, 2021, 01:02:31 PM »
Friends
I just purchased a Richards Type 1 conversion in 38 sp.  Made by ASM-I know how that brand is viewed but I wanted the Type 1.
I reached out to a fairly well known single action gunsmith who said he will not do work on conversions at all.  He was very polite and apologetic but its not what he does.
Is there a reputable single action gunsmith who works on the conversions and open tops?
with thanks

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
Re: Gunsmith for Richards Type 1??
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2021, 08:50:45 AM »
 :)  Sage

Knee jerk question is:  What do you want done to it ??  Most (all maybe) won’t work on an ASM because of the abysmal quality and the complete lack of parts should one screw up.  While you can use after-market springs (and should) that’s about it for “parts”

ASM based the guns loosely on the Colt 1861 pattern (except for the 1851) which has the effect of making parts doubly hard to find.  The ASM Richards is the most accurate .38 I have ever owned.   A real shame only about one in seven actually works.

Offline Sage613

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2021, 07:23:34 AM »
Sir- I am finding that is true.  Most 'smiths have said no.  I took mine to the range and except for the hammer screw backing out (needs loctite) the firearm works.  (Although I couldnt hit the broad side of a barn with it)  I was thinking more of smoothing the internals, but perhaps at this point that is overkill

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:32:33 PM »

Offline Sage613

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2021, 07:24:52 AM »
If, in the end I bought a wallhanger, well-its a really attractive one

Offline Reverend P. Babcock Chase

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2021, 09:17:27 AM »
Howdy Sage,

Have you tried Gary Barnes aka Hoofhearted? He has not worked on a Richards for me, but he handled a Dragoon conversion and worked a miracle on an ASM Schofield for me. I have lost his address, but he or somebody who knows him may generate his contact info. I believe that he specializes in conversions.

Rev. Chase

Offline Galloway

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2021, 10:51:09 AM »
You can polish the internals yourself no need for a gunsmith. And if you get closer im sure you can hit the broad side of a barn too. Most originals were probably used at scanner gun distances.

Offline Sage613

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2021, 12:28:28 PM »
Thank you gentlemen!   And Rev Chase...are you clergy?

Offline Reverend P. Babcock Chase

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2021, 02:59:53 PM »
Howdy Sage,

Sort of. Universal Life Church of Modesto CA.

Rev. Chase

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2021, 06:21:04 PM »
Sage13, you can easily change out the main spring for a lighter one.  Aftermarket springs for Colt/Uberti etc. should fit, possibly needing the end trimmed a bit.  This would make the biggest difference in feeling of the action.  As long as it still pops primers, it will be fine.  This will also lighten the trigger pull somewhat.  A lighter trigger/bolt spring (also fairly universal fit) might also be good as well, as long as that doesn't make the trigger too light for you, and as long as the cylinder still locks up good at whatever speed you cock it.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2021, 08:38:25 AM »

PLUS ONE for Abilene

There isn’t much smoothing todo in an ASM conversion.  Contact VTI Gunparts for a light main spring and a Pietta Trigger Bolt Spring.  I also changed out the firing pin return springs in mine.  When you have one that runs they are really fun guns.

Play Safe Out There

Offline Sage613

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2021, 08:57:16 AM »
Thanks to all!

Offline 45 Dragoon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 123
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2021, 12:59:43 PM »
I guess all here are correct. You can do all the polishing yourself, changing springs is as good as an action job, any adjustments of the ratchet are easy peasy, stretching the hand if necessary is no bbiggy.  A light trigger just takes getting used to .  .  .   oh and correcting the short arbor is on any forum you care to look at.  "Gunsmiths" you've reached out to have said no. I've sent you two messages to no avail just to talk about the project so .  .  .   what kind of hook are ya gonna use to hang it on the wall?

Mike

Ooops! Forgot timing!! That's easy too !!!
www.goonsgunworks.com
Follow me on Instagram @goonsgunworks

Offline Sage613

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2021, 08:55:20 AM »
I apologize sir-I did not get the messages! 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com