Author Topic: Survival Food of the American West  (Read 1920 times)

Offline Tsalagidave

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dave Rodgers
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 61
Survival Food of the American West
« on: May 22, 2021, 12:09:26 AM »
Here is an article about the kinds of foods that kept best on the American frontier; how was it prepared, packed, and how contrary to lore, our ancestors liked flavor too.

https://www.frontieramericanillustratednews.com/post/survival-food-of-the-american-west
Guns don't kill people; fathers with pretty daughters do.

Offline LongWalker

• Top Active Citizen
  • GAF #: 911
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
Re: Survival Food of the American West
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2021, 01:02:13 PM »
As usual, your page/website is inaccessible.  After repeated tries, I get text blurred by a blurry background image, with giant arrows pointing diagonally.  Just guessing, are you using one of the cloud-based HTML5 aps optimized for mobile usage?
In my book a pioneer is a man who turned all the grass upside down, strung bob-wire over the dust that was left, poisoned the water, cut down the trees, killed the Indian who owned the land and called it progress.  Charles M. Russell

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2021, 03:54:50 PM »
The page opens fine for me.  The font used has a bit of mottled texture to it which makes it a tad harder to read for me, but at least the font is large and that makes it easier.  I am using a Windows 7 laptop with Opera browser.

Nice article, Dave.  "Food for Thought"  ;D ; I'm probably like most average folks that never gave a thought to how settlers fed themselves on their way west.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:26:29 PM »

Offline Tsalagidave

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dave Rodgers
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2021, 01:23:36 AM »
I don't know what to tell you LongWalker. I test run this through multiple devices, including desktops, laptops, tablets, and smartphones. I have it configured to run on either a standard PC screen or smartphone and everything operates fine. I also get feedback from a whole group of industry writers and editors using a variety of equipment and they receive it without a problem. Without seeing your equipment, all I can recommend is a software update or have your IT department check it out.

-Dave

Offline Tsalagidave

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dave Rodgers
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2021, 01:33:46 AM »
The page opens fine for me.  The font used has a bit of mottled texture to it which makes it a tad harder to read for me, but at least the font is large and that makes it easier.  I am using a Windows 7 laptop with Opera browser.

Nice article, Dave.  "Food for Thought"  ;D ; I'm probably like most average folks that never gave a thought to how settlers fed themselves on their way west.

Thanks Abilene, glad you like it pard. You should be able to change the way that my website's font can display on your computer. There should be a tab, likely with a gear icon on it at the top right corner of your browser. Select the “Internet Options” button. There should be a select fonts option at the bottom of the popup window.  If you are seeing something different on your display, search "how to change default fonts in web browser" on your help bar and it should give you a procedure.

Thanks again for your feedback.

-Dave

Offline LongWalker

• Top Active Citizen
  • GAF #: 911
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2021, 02:41:43 AM »
I don't know what to tell you LongWalker. I test run this through multiple devices, including desktops, laptops, tablets, and smartphones. I have it configured to run on either a standard PC screen or smartphone and everything operates fine. I also get feedback from a whole group of industry writers and editors using a variety of equipment and they receive it without a problem. Without seeing your equipment, all I can recommend is a software update or have your IT department check it out.

-Dave

I checked from one of the workstations at a school I'm doing some stuff for but was unable to get the page to load correctly; all the software there checks out. 

At home, I'm my IT department: browser etc are all current.  I do a bit of web accessibility testing for some of the local schools and for a bunch of teachers, so at home I'm running a lot of software that lets me look at aspects of web accessibility, various adaptive technology, web accessibility, readability, etc.  This includes the software actually being used rather than the "latest generation" of whatever.  I was able to access your site after re-configuring the software in the startup configuration so it doesn't start when the computer boots-up, changing options in the browser, and re-booting the computer.

It looks like the site was developed using a drag-and-drop editor to build the page, and (I think) the way this compiles the page is conflicting with some of the adaptive software (best guess is something about the way it is layered, but I didn't try to look that far).  Not a problem, it just means the website isn't accessible when using the software.  I tried to access your host's support pages to see if I could somehow disable the features (e.g. parallax scrolling) that I think might be causing the conflict with the adaptive software, no luck.

The IT guy at the school blocked the site.  Tentatively we'll be doing some seminars this summer looking at what users can do to make non-WCAG-compliant sites accessible for their purposes; we might try viewing the site (and a number of others that are similarly-difficult to access) with a variety of software to see which ones work with the sites. 

In my book a pioneer is a man who turned all the grass upside down, strung bob-wire over the dust that was left, poisoned the water, cut down the trees, killed the Indian who owned the land and called it progress.  Charles M. Russell

Offline Tsalagidave

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dave Rodgers
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2021, 01:37:07 AM »
I wish you luck on that Longwalker. If this helps, the site is hosted by Wix. Here is the contact link that I have with their help center. https://support.wix.com/en/?referral=HelpWidgetDashboard

-Dave

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2021, 02:43:39 AM »
Well, as a test I opened a Chrome browser, and the site comes up just fine with that as well.

Offline Kent Shootwell

• Top Active Citizen
  • Got whiskey, will stumble.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 22
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2021, 10:11:15 AM »
I think I can be classified as a none geek. I may even set the standard for tech challenged. Tapped the link and bingo there it is.
Interesting post.
Little powder much lead shoots far kills dead.
Member, whiskey livers
AKA Phil Coffins, AKA Oliver Sudden

Offline Galloway

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2021, 05:43:32 PM »
I never got what they did with all the flour?

Offline Cap'n Redneck

• Commd'g Co. D, Frontier Batt'n, Texas Rangers.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Cap'n Redneck SWS #163.
  • GAF #: 273
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2021, 07:45:17 PM »
"I never got what they did with all the flour?"

- Baking bread springs to mind...
"As long as there's lead in the air, there's still hope..."
Frontiersman & Frontiersman Gunfighter: The only two categories where you can play with your balls and shoot your wad while tweaking the nipples on a pair of 44s.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com