Special Interests - Groups & Societies > USFA CSS

USA or Uberti?

(1/2) > >>

beefmalone:
I was looking at this gun but it has me confused a bit. The barrel says
so I thought that meant for sure that it's a parts gun.

However, I also read somewhere that the loading gate pivot on parts guns has a gap. This one does not.

Also, the serial number is P13595 which I can't find that style number anywhere. Thoughts?  ???

Dave T:
USFA turned out a lot of guns with mixed parts. That is an Italian barrel and front sight. Because the flutes on the cylinder are pointed instead of rounded at the back end I would guess an Italian cylinder. Something about the sweep of the hammer spur makes me think that it's not a US made hammer.

It could be an early US made/sourced frame was finished with Uberti parts they had on hand. Hope others who know this stuff even better will be able to give you more info.

Dave

Abilene:
That serial number sounds like a Cimarron Model P.  Is it possible someone might have put a USPFA barrel on a Cimarron Uberti?  Although seeing the firing pin bushing probably rules that out right away, unless that was added as well.

Advertising:

Capt. John Fitzgerald:
Greetings, Beefmalone, and welcome to our forum!
Your gun is an all Italian parts gun that was made sometime either during, or prior to, 1996 when Colt took umbrige at USFA's use of the word "patent" in their name and threatened legal action to have it removed (as USFA held no patents on the Colt designed SAA).  That's when USPFA became USFA.
Those very early guns were at first imported in whole and in the white and finished by USPFA.  Second stage were all Italian parts imported in the white and then assembled and finished by both USPFA & USFA. It wasn't until 2001/02 that USFA started manufacturing their own parts in ernest.  Serial numbers on those early guns were issued by Uberti to satisfy import requirements.  Don't know when, exactly, USFA started issuing their own numbers.
CJF

Buckaroo Lou:
I once had a USPFA and the serial number was preceded with the letter P as well but was thinking there were 6 numbers. I can't remember for certain but it seemed like there were more numbers than just 5. Since the color case hardening is pretty faded in the photos it is hard to tell, but on the USPFA firearm I had the CC looked much better and was more akin to the Turnbull style with rich colors.

My opinion is it is an Italian parts gun, but cannot explain why there is no square cornered gap showing at the loading gate pivot.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version