Author Topic: Stoeger Coach Gun or Winchester M1897?  (Read 10995 times)

Offline texaswoodworker

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Stoeger Coach Gun or Winchester M1897?
« on: November 22, 2014, 01:43:19 AM »
I'm wanting to get into shooting SASS matches (not really as a serious competitor, more for fun) and I'm working on getting all my guns and gear together. I have a Rossi 92 in 44 Mag and I'm looking for a pair of Ruger Vaqueros in 44 mag to go with it. I'm not sure what I want for my shotgun though. I think I've narrowed it down though. I'm stuck between a Stoeger Coach Gun or an original (as in 100 years old) Winchester M1897. I've found both for around the same price. Most of the 97s have a 30" barrel. How much of a disadvantage would that be? I'm a pretty big guy, so the weight wouldn't bother me much. I'd hate to cut down one of those old classic shotguns, so unless I find one that has already been cut down that would probably be the length I go with.

How about the Norinco 97s? Are they any good?

Thanks. :)

Offline hp246

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
Re: Stoeger Coach Gun or Winchester M1897?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2014, 08:37:04 PM »
I started this past summer.  I started with a 97, but later added a double barrel to my cart.  I learned the hard way, that 97 can be a bit difficult to keep running.  If you can shoot the 97 before you buy and make sure it is it extract and ejects properly, you can save yourself some money.  After all most of em are about 100 years old.  That said, once I got the 97 running right, it is my favorite.  There are times I will take the dbl gun off the cart, depending on the stage, but not very often. 

As far as the barrel, Have it cut down.  I had my cut to 20 inches and had a large bead put on it.  You will get some discussion on this, but most guys cut em down a bit. 

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2014, 01:38:42 AM »
That is a tough question to respond to.... Guns are appealing and unique to each of us...

When I first ventured in to SASS , I bought OMV's & both a Rossi SS 92 short rifle & a Marlin 94 ( prior to the Freedom Group )
and I used a Stevens Fox 311 SXS on loan.
That led to my Stoeger Coach Gun purchase.
Dabbled a few years with the these, never really considering a 97  ( except I did do still want 97 trench )
That was back in the early 90's ....

If based on the limited profile I can glean from your post, I would suggest the Stoeger.
I think you will get a more harmonious outcome...

when planets align...do the deal !

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:56:44 AM »

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2014, 01:47:18 AM »
Course, having written the above...

All of those guns are long sold .... SASS is no longer my 1st discipline of choice.

Today, I shoot Open tops , Top Breaks , 1860 Henry's or 73's
The Shotgun of choice now is a Mule Ear (TTn) SXS.

Offline Bibbyman

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 99098
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2014, 04:35:59 AM »
I started with a Stevens 5100 double 12 that was my dad's gun and I've shot it some over the past  45 years.  When we got into SASS, we got a Stoeger Uplander and later a Coachgun.  Both 12 gauge and both double trigger. The main reason was familiarity.   With everything else to learn, having one less to master was a help.  Some people have had problems with single trigger Stoeger shotguns.  Mary likes the long barrels on the Uplander.  It does point better and of the two guns, operate better.

I later ran across an old Winchester 97 in great condition.  I've shot it some but not nearly as proficient as I am with the double. It still had the full length barrel and I doubt if I'll cut it.  One caution on old original Winchester 97s, it may have a short chamber ment for roll crimp shells. Also a very short forcing cone ment for fiber wads.  I had the chamber recut and forcing cone lengthen for modern star crimp, plastic wad shells.   My gun is a takedawn and fortunately tight. Solid frame 97s are likely to be more durable.

Offline texaswoodworker

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2014, 10:23:07 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions. I think at this point I'm leaning more towards the SXS for it's simplicity. I'll eventually want a 97 too though. :D

Any suggestion on slicking up the Stoeger?

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:

Offline texaswoodworker

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2014, 01:14:48 PM »
It looks like slicking one up will be pretty easy. Thanks Major. :)

Offline rickk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2014, 11:59:51 AM »
The Stoeger Coach guns work well.   The single trigger can be troublesome to some. Mine was, the factory swapped it out for a double trigger for me and I am quite happy with it.

The Supreme version comes with, among other things, a fairly functional rubber butt pad. If you don't have a rubber pad, you will want one, so it is nice to get a gun with a pad right out of the box.

Mine has a stainless receiver, which is nice if you shoot BP.

The Supreme version comes with replaceable choke tubes, which means you can make the chokes the same pattern if you want.

Rick

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com