CAS TOPICS > The Powder Room - CAS reloading

Newbie question about shop floor primers.

(1/1)

Mule Ear Mortensen:
I've never considered this before so help would be great.

How likely are those primers that I found, laying on my shop floor, to go pop once reloaded? They may have been there on a mostly clean floor, loose, for up to a year. This is in the my garage so not too damp or too dirty but humidity and temperature is un controlled.

Thanks in advance!

Mo

Professor Marvel:
My Good Mo -

Firstly, I can definitely say that that primers should be kept dry and clean,  I have even had skin oil kill them on occasion.

Whilst I cannot address whether or not yours have become contaminated, I can safely say that there was a time when I was shooting and loading a lot more than now, and thus would process large quantities of cases leaving them sized, cleaned, and primed loose in a bucjet in my garage or basement. I came across an acient container of the recently (over 25 years now) and they still go pop.

If you have a lare quantity, You could simply load some up and see if the primed cases still pop; whereupon you could make a somewhat informed decision ( based upon having access to a cartridge discombobulator should they fail to go off).

I doubt that my babbling will help with yur decision, but I do hope it is at least entertaining.

yhs
prof marvel

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version