CAS TOPICS > The Powder Room - CAS reloading

38 Special 158gr LRN blackpowder load for minimum power factor?

(1/2) > >>

cal44walker:
We don't have a chronograph available and I was wondering if anyone has data on approximatly how much Swiss 3FFFg is needed to shove a 158 grain LRN at somewhere between 650 and 700fps out of a Ruger 4 3/4 barrel. I've been experimenting with as little as 6 grains with filler taking up the rest and it seems to pop most of the falling targets down as well as the minimum load smokeless rounds other people are using.

cal44walker

Pettifogger:
Most of the time published load data doesn't come close to the estimates.  Your only real bet is to buy or borrow a chronograph.  You get them for a hundred dollars.  Not sure exactly what you are asking.  There is no "power factor" for BP loads.  There is a smoke factor.  I can't give you any exact velocities, but having experimented with a lot of different loads I can tell you 6 grains of Swiss won't make the minimum smoke factor and is making no where near 700 fps out of a 4 5/8" barrel.

Peddler Parsons:
you have to equal the smoke factor of true Black Powder, witch is 1cc or 15 grains , with APP and 12 grains I was getting anywere from 640 to 660fps

Advertising:

wildman1:
Some cartridges or calibers will be very close to the published data. My 44/40 has been within a few fps with Win 231, Titegroup and Tralboss. Pettifogger is right about 6gs of Swiss, ya gotta have 15gs. WM

Sir Charles deMouton-Black:
If you want less recoil you should consider a lighter bullet.  The 15 grain BP load is a SASS mandated minimum.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version