CAS TOPICS > The Powder Room - CAS reloading

Using .357 brass in a .38 Special

(1/2) > >>

Sgt. John McAfferty:
Howdy,

I bought my wife a Rossi 1892 in .357/.38.  The OAL for proper feeding has to be 1.49 to 1.51 inches.  Using Missouri Bullet Co. 125gr. RNFP bullets, and setting them to the top of the crimping groove, they are WAY to short.  In order to get close to the correct length, I would need to crimp at the lube groove and I don't feel comfortable about that.

My thought is to use .357 brass and the same bullet.  I think this will get me the correct OAL but I want her to be able to use them in her pistols which are 1871 Navy Open Tops in .38 special.  I use Trail Boss for her rounds and the charge I use is almost dead between the min and max for both rounds, according to the data from IMR.  So, if the rounds will fit in her pistols, is it safe to load using .357 brass?  I'm only loading for cowboy action.  Any thoughts or advice will be greatly appreciated.

Sgt. John McAfferty

Stu Kettle:
If your data from the powder manufacturer says its safe then I'd try it.  I do kind of the same thing - use .44 mag cases for .44 special loads.  they work fine in my 1892.  But then again, so do .44 specials.  You might try a few crimped at the crimp groove In your .38 special brass & see if they'll cycle in her rifle.  Or, you might try some 158 grain bullets, like God intended ;)

cal44walker:
A 357 Mag should not be able to fit in a 38 special cylinder unless Luigi ran a 38 chamber reamer way too far into the cylinder. If by some coincidence you can get a 357 in there, 38 special loads and blackpowder are fine. Problem is if by accident a hot 357 mag finds its way into the gun someday.............you are going to need a new gun....and possibly a new hand.... :o

cal44walker

Advertising:

Sir Charles deMouton-Black:
I think the Big-Lube 38 SLIM Grease Wagon might work to give you the 357 length in a 38Spl case.

NOTE CORRECTION

Abilene:
The .357 brass will not fit in the OT cylinder, so rule that out.  Those RNFP 125gr you are using are super stubby.  They will not feed in a '66 or '73 either using .38 brass.  You are left with 3 choices that I can think of. 
1. Load rifle ammo in .357 brass, pistol in .38 brass.
2. Pick a different bullet.  The 125TC bullet in .38 brass has an OAL of 1.48" I think.  Might still be a hair short for your needs.  Might need a heavier bullet if you want to crimp in the crimp groove.  There are bullets available that are specifically designed for a longer OAL for better feeding in rifles.  Some company used to make a 140gr like that that Marlin users liked.  Some folks will probably chime in and mention what their OAL is with some other bullets.
3. Crimp in the lube groove.  Might not be pretty but people do it.  With more empty space inside the case the pressure will go down for a specific charge of powder compared to crimping in the crimp groove, so you might want to up the charge slightly.  If you try this, first load up a few dummies and check three things:  Will it feed in the rifle?  Will it seat in the revolver cylinder?  If you hold the round in your hand and push the bullet against a hard surface, does the bullet push further into the case?

Good luck.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version