CAS TOPICS > The Powder Room - CAS reloading

Suggestions for 12 GA load with 7/8 oz and Green Dot

(1/2) > >>

Ramblin Ron:
Up to now I've used my regular 1-1/8 oz load with Green Dot powder for Cowboy Action Shooting and want to reduce to a 7/8 load with less recoil while still using Green Dot (Win AA Hulls). What can I say, I'm getting cheaper and older. The Alliant data  doesn't speak to knock down power so who out there has experience with Green Dot and can recommend their power gram load ?  

Sir Charles deMouton-Black:
http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/recipedetail.aspx?shotype=&weight=0.875&weightdis=7%2f8&shellid=493&gtypeid=3&gauge=12

Press "Enter the Guide".  One must always find a reliable source for shotgun loads as there are so many variables that can get you in trouble.

If you have decent patterns, a 7/8 oz load at a moderate speed will take them down.  Most targets would be set to go down with a regular 20 ga. load. What we have here is a 20 ga. load in a fatter hull. If you are using a Sawdoff (no choke) make sure you pattern it.  Too hot a load will cause donuts. aka "the halo effect".  As Green Dot is one of the medium powders the patterns should work out.

Try it.

PJ Hardtack:
For years I loaded 7/8 oz.12 ga. loads for my wife with 17.5 grs of Red Dot. Then I tried them and now I shoot them myself!

I believe that in shotguns, Red Dot and Green Dot are similar. I know that in .45 ACP, I get a little stiffer load with GD than with RD using the same charge. Check your manual.

When I dabbled in Sporting Clays, I read an article about 3/4 oz. loads. The author was a US shooter taking the Holland & Holland wing shooting tutorial. He was astounded that he was breaking all the birds with this light load. The instructor said that it was an American thing to use 1-1/8 oz. of shot to break a clay bird!

Advertising:

Delmonico:
Us 28 gauge shooters have been killing pick-up loads of pheasants for years with 3/4th and 7/8th oz loads for many years.  I remember as a kid reading the outdoor rags and gun writers saying that Chinese Chickens were tougher than Canada geese.  I keep it inside 30 yards with the 3/4's and 40 with the 7/8's and 95% of them fall dead and stay in place.  The Skeet barrel patterns better than the modified in my 870 so I just use it. 

Lucky R. K.:
I have been loading 17-1/2 to 18 grains of Green Dot with 7/8 oz. of #9 shot in both Double AA and  Remington STS cases for years.  I think it is a great load.  Have also used about the same load with Red Dot.

Lucky

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version