CAS TOPICS > CAS FAQ

Advice to the New CAS Shooter

<< < (3/9) > >>

Doc Shapiro:
Klondike, how many sets of guns have you gone through?  I'm on my 4th set of revolvers, 3rd rifle, and 3rd and 4th shotguns.  Just ordered my 4th rig.

I don't think it matters what ya start with.  At some point, you're gonna change!

That reminds me.  I have a Marlin in 45 Colt to sell....

Doc

Doc Shapiro:
In the selection of equipment, the best thing I can offer is that you need to be brutally honest with yourself.  Are you going to try to be competitive?  Are you going to try to recreate a particular time period?  Do you want to shoot authentic calibers and BP? 

Figure out what you like and apply that to your personality.  At that point it should dramatically reduce the list of options and you can more easily select the firearms that best suit your personal goals and tastes.

I started out without any sort of introspection.  As a result I went through several different sets of guns.  I'm still not totally satisfied with what I have.  One more change and that'll be set.  Should be done by the time September rolls around.

The more honest you are with yourself, the less money you'll end up spending and the happier you'll be.  This translates to more fun!

Doc

Klondike:
Doc,
Right now I have 4 sets of main match pistols in the safe, I have gone through at least 4 other sets, mostly different calibers. I am on my 5th rifle, started with 92 in 45, went to Marlin in 45, Marlin in 38/357 , Marlin Cowboy Comp, and finally to 73's in 38/357 (not counting the brief stint with a Lightning). Have stayed with the 97'a all the way through, but have gone through several, did try SxS's but really was not for me. OK some of it is in the trading and aquisition of guns, but that goes unsaid, it is all part of the game and fun.
You are right, a new shooter needs to decide whether they are going for period correct and authenticity or going to be competetive. Makes a lot of difference in leather as well as firearms. Not to say that a shooter cannot be competetive with BP and authenticity in the right category.

Advertising:

Big Hext Finnigan:
Howdy,

This continues to be a good thread!  Nice!
I'm not even sure that brutal :) honesty will stop you from evolving.  Because CAS has so many facets, you just keep trying on different angles and see what fits. 

I guess the main thing is buy middle of the road stuff when you first start, cause you can almost always sell it off, if and when, you change your mind.  You can add to your stockpile or rotate out.  Right now, there have never been more and different guns available.. Enjoy!

Adios,

Klondike:
One thing I advise against for any new shooter (not trying to start a war, but being honest) is buying a Winchester 94 for CAS. It is a tried and proven hunting rifle, but does not really work all that well for CAS.
Most new shooters wind up in a pawn shop or gun show and see 94's in pistol caliber and they are inexpensive compared to other CAS rifles, and next thing you know they have one and it does not fit their needs, or does not work (jams) and it is hard to get rid of. I try to advise them to try other guns before committing to any one brand or caliber.
Also if they are not presently re-loading cost of ammo becomes an issue, and 45, 44/40, 38/40 ammo is not cheap. These are just some of the issues new shooters have to face and decide on. It is also where seasoned shooters can be the most help, so we need to guide them as to what is best for the new shooter, not by what our personal likes or dislikes are.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version