Special Interests - Groups & Societies > The American Plainsmen Society

flintlocks and cartridge guns

<< < (15/15)

Jake MacReedy:
As Comache Kid, said, this exchange is getting nowhere fast.  I will not change your mind, and you will not change mine.  As before, we'll just have to agree to disagree.  Been a long night over here, and it's time to get some sleep.  Fire away, Ranch!  It's all yours pard!  Wasted enough of my time dealing with you for one day.

Your "emoticons" are quite cute, by the way...nice touch.

Regards & Out,
Jake

Sir Charles deMouton-Black:
I have two points;

1.  Please remain civil! 8)

2.  I am another Pard that is having trouble with the details.  When this board first came up I felt it filled in a gap in our living history field.  Now I am having perplexion problems!  This time slot was a period of rapid transition both in technology and in society, and it will lead to debates about what is in and what is not.  If it is left open there will be endless attempts to use a variety of items.  If rules are tightly regulated frustration could set in.

The options are;
a. if a member can prove that it was in (common?) use, bring it and run with it.
b. Set out lists of approved and not-approved kit and stick with it.

Keep up the debate, but be kind to each other.  I hope this can work.

St. George:
I'll reiterate what Sir Charles said - keep these discussions polite, and keep them focused.

The thing that most folks are missing is the 'Is There a Perceived Need?' - since the Buckskinning and Civil War folks cover much of the era, and NCOWS already has usable guidelines.

Essentially, this is what NCOWS covers authenticity-wise - but with percussion caps added...

Yes - Westward Expansion and the Gold Rush were pivotal - as was the Pony Express and the ever-expanding freighting and railroading operations - those were what filled much of the West, until the veterans of the Civil War wanted new starts, and left behind the battlefields and shattered communities to begin anew, but what most folks 'understand' are the Indian Wars and the Trail Drives, and it's those two things that 'are' the Old West to them.

This short timespan saw many innovations - but if the organization is to build, it needs to offer something truly unique - unique enough to buy the weapons and outfits and build Impressions, and all just to fill a very small niche.

Stay polite and get focused through  intelligent, well-reasoned and well-referenced  discourse.

Good Luck!

Vaya,

Scouts Out!

Caleb Hobbs:
I deleted a couple of the more recent posts that did nothing to further the discussion. Jake did a fine job explaining what we're attempting, and it's been covered in several earlier posts, as well. We've got a governing body of folks in place who are excited to see this grow, but it's like I've also said before, we won't be for everyone.

I'm going to lock this thread. It isn't serving any purpose in the direction it's headed now.

Caleb

--- Quote from: Jake MacReedy on September 04, 2011, 10:55:46 PM ---A plainsman is someone who made their living in that vast area west of the Mssissippi, stretching clear over to the Pacific Ocean.  That is how I view it in the context of what is envisioned for the American Plainsmen Society.  Are there narrower, more concise definitions out there? Yes, there are. One would be someone working as a scout, guide or hunter on what we term the Great Plains of Kansas, Nebraska, Eastern Colorado and Eastern Wyoming, on up into the Dakotas, and even into the Canadian Great Plains. A "buffalo runner" of the 1850's could be considered one, as could the freighters on the Santa Fe Trail.  What is envisioned here is having a group that acts as an umbrella for the 1840-1865 time period.

As I said, we are stretching the definition to include those who went west of the Rockies and Sierra Nevadas, in search of new homes and new hunting grounds, as well as those who lived and hunted along what is now the southern border of the United States.

And, of course, Merriam-Webster's official definition: an inhabitant of the plains (origin: Great Plains + man, terms first known use:1870, which, of course post-dates out groups time frame)

Regards,
Jake

--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version