Special Interests - Groups & Societies > The American Plainsmen Society

flintlocks and cartridge guns

<< < (2/15) > >>

litl rooster:

--- Quote from: wildman1 on August 29, 2011, 06:59:26 AM ---That shooter would no longer be inexperienced Roo. WM

--- End quote ---

hand them the degree and move them on uh?  kind of like a degree from a on line college

Tascosa Joe:
Personally I like the idea of having the Henry or Spencer allowed.

buffalo bill:
Just have to be careful not to "re-invent the wheel". One of the main reasons for this group was that our time/guns were not represented. All of the other shooting groups use cartridge guns. . .

"SCOUTIN' for SHAGGIES"

BUFFALO BILL

St. George:
You need to remember that for the time frame you suggest - it's the 'cartridge' weapon that'd be unfamiliar to most.

This proposed category falls between 'Buckskinner' and 'NCOWS shooter' with no secure footing in either.

If you're serious about APS - pick one and establish guidelines, stick to them and stop trying to straddle a fence that's just going to wind up muddying the waters insofar as your time frame is considered, if you try to accomodate everyone's ideas and fancies.

NCOWS does just that - and beyond reviewing what's approved for weaponry - it manages quite well to keep folks outfitted and shooting happily within their specified era, without any attempt to join an ever-increasing arms race - even allowing pretty much everything you're proposing, so long as you can document how you came by the gear used by your Impression.

If your cut-off is roughly 1865 - then cartridge weapons were 'not' common, and given wartime production, new percussion weapons would've been in short supply, since most arms makers were attempting to fill contracts - early percussion guns and single-shots would've proliferated - despite the advent of the aenemic Paterson, and hard-to-find-at-the-time Walker.

The Navy Colt and Pocket Model would've been cutting-edge - along with the odd Dragoon.

Good Luck!

Vaya,

Scouts Out!

Sacramento Johnson:
Howdy!

I have no problem allowing the Henry and Spencer.  Sure they would have been fairly rare, but by 1860, flintlock would probably not have been real common compared to percussion except in a few select conditions.  If you're playing a character that's at the end of the period (1860-1865), I could see you having one of those firearms, especialy if you were well off.  The time range agreed upon was a transition period as concerns firearms, and these firearms were authentic to this period.

(Besides, have you all priced modern Henry and Spencer replicas lately?  Given their high cost, I don't think you'll see too many walking around with them, anyway!)

Advertisers:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version