Special Interests - Groups & Societies > The American Plainsmen Society

Why is this period so completely ignored?

<< < (2/18) > >>

St. George:
There are several groups that re-enact Dragoon units, but uniforms and equipment to outfit a Dragoon gets kinda expensive, with relatively few outfitters offering much to prospective buyers - forcing them to go to high-end sutlers, but on the other hand - they wind up with very high-end, accurate equipage...

Most of this is done more locally, than on any sort of national level - with folks honoring their forebears' experiences.

Plus - these events chronicled late Fur Trapping, Westward Expansion and the Gold Seekers - all of whom were pointed towards a focused goal, where Indian encounters varied wildly - as did actual warfare.

I'd lump the Anti-Slavery Movement in with the Civil War reenactments, though - their activities are too intertwined to separate them into a their own category.

There's also the fact that for many in the C&WAS arena - these actual historical events aren't nearly as interesting nor exciting as the shoot 'em up version of 'history' as played out on the Silver Screen.

Folks re-enact 'everything', today - even down to Great War trench warfare, through to Vietnam...

Vaya,

Scouts Out!

Forty Rod:

--- Quote from: joec on May 17, 2011, 11:43:00 AM ---Great point it was also the time of the Morons and Utah with Brigham Young. I know that the first saga of the Lonesome Dove series also was into this period with Dead Man's Walk and later Comanche Moon. I have the whole series and still enjoy seeing them from time to time. All of these are pretty much period correct also at least as far as I can tell with my limited knowledge of the guns, clothes etc.

--- End quote ---

The Mormon expansion west is largely ignored, but they went into places other people didn't want and created civilized communities, established laws and government and schools, built roads and canals, dams and industries, strung telegraphs and aided in building railroads all across the country.  The Mormons even established currencies with printing offices and mints, had a working postal system before the Pony Express, ran some of the first stage and freight lines in the west, recruited and trained armies to be used by the United States, and set up colleges which are now the equal of most in the country. 

They were preceded only by Lewis and clark, a few explorers, and the mountain men, none of whom left much of a mark on the country.

Delmonico:
There is stuff concerning the great overland movement both Morman and the Orgon/California trails around here all the time.

Drayton Calhoun:
Excellent point all. The Gold Rush, the silver strikes in Nevada, as stated the Mormon exodus, in fact the initial westward expansion.  It is a rich time of our history. There was also a lot of confilict with Native Americans. It was also the true birth of the revolver's general usage. The Crimean war, The Walker Expeditions...

joec:

--- Quote from: Forty Rod on May 17, 2011, 05:27:59 PM ---The Mormon expansion west is largely ignored, but they went into places other people didn't want and created civilized communities, established laws and government and schools, built roads and canals, dams and industries, strung telegraphs and aided in building railroads all across the country.  The Mormons even established currencies with printing offices and mints, had a working postal system before the Pony Express, ran some of the first stage and freight lines in the west, recruited and trained armies to be used by the United States, and set up colleges which are now the equal of most in the country. 

They were preceded only by Lewis and clark, a few explorers, and the mountain men, none of whom left much of a mark on the country.

--- End quote ---

I agree with that though I'm sure not a Mormon they did add to the history of this country both good and bad. Their movement west is as important as Texas and California movements.

Advertisers:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version