Author Topic: BUNKHOUSE RAMBLINGS  (Read 1107571 times)

Offline cowboy316

• Top Active Citizen
    • http://wildwestcustom-leatherworks.webs.com/
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: BUNKHOUSE RAMBLINGS
« Reply #100 on: October 26, 2009, 08:59:38 PM »
GB
now thats cool i got some stuff from my grandma after my grandpa passed and in there was a comb case i made hi when i was like 9 and he carried it till the day he died so great memories with old leather work like that
 ;D
Cowboy316

Offline GunClick Rick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Scudders all of yas~
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #101 on: October 26, 2009, 09:45:21 PM »
I know how ya feel GB,lost my dad 2006,my uncle last Christmas also,his brother.Gramps,grandma,pop and uncle all gone now,that was the whole family.To hard to think about too long..Got my pops knife and it's all i wanted,cuase i got it for him years ago.That is a real nice memory ya have there,give it a rub now and then :( ;)
Bunch a ole scudders!

Offline Johnny McCrae

• Bristol Plains Pistoleros, Sweetwater Regulators
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • The older the violin, the finer the music
    • Johnny McCrae
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 258
« Reply #102 on: October 28, 2009, 06:33:18 AM »
Montana Slick asked if I was a Scotsman. Actually I'm Slovenian and Czech. He got me thinking again about how I picked my Alias. It was pretty easy for me. Lonesome Dove is my favorite movie and Gus McCrae is my favorite character. My first name is John.

It would be interesting to hear how other Pards have picked their Alias.

Here is Johnny McCrae's story.....

Johnny was born on June 24, 1825 in Milwaukee, Wisconsin to Vince & Annie McCrae. Johnny’s father owned a cigar factory where Johnny worked as a young boy.

His uncle, George McCrae had migrated to Tennessee in 1824 and eventually to Texas in 1827 where he enlisted in the Texas Rangers and rose to the rank of Sergeant. Johnny was able to visit him in 1839 and also in 1842. Johnny idolized his uncle and set his lifelong goal to become a Texas Ranger. His father had other ideas and sent Johnny to business school in Chicago with hopes of Johnny helping him run the family business. After a year and a half of business school, Johnny Went back to Milwaukee and told his father he was going to Texas to join the Texas Rangers with his uncle George.

Johnny joined the Texas Rangers in 1851. Johnny’s father begged his brother George to keep Johnny out of harm’s way and he was relegated to office chores mainly record keeping and bookkeeping. Johnny begged his Uncle to reassign him to the field but to no avail. In 1852 Johnny’s life changed when his uncle was killed while out on patrol. Johnny was assigned to field duty and he eventually rose to the rank of Sergeant.

When the hostilities broke out between the North and South, Johnny went back to Milwaukee and enlisted in the 6th Wisconsin (Iron Brigade). Johnny was wounded at Gettysburg and mustered out of the Army in 1865. He was now forty years old and did not want to go back to Texas or Wisconsin. After stints as a Stagecoach Guard, Sheriff’s Deputy and Saloonkeeper, in 1876 He ended up in Deadwood, South Dakota working in a gold mine as the paymaster rising to the position of Mine Superintendent. In 1890 Johnny resigned his position at the mine and retired. He headed for Wyoming and Montana.  Johnny spent the next three years hunting and fishing. It is now 1894 and his 70th birthday is approaching......

I'm from Milwaukee. My parents names were Vincent and Anne. My grandfather had a cigar factory in Milwaukee during the 1920's. My Dad worked there as a boy. I'm sixty nine years young.
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

Advertising

« Reply #103 on: Today at 06:33:50 PM »

Offline JD Alan

• Pistol Packin Parson
  • Top Active Citizen
    • New Life Church Website
  • Liked:
« Reply #103 on: October 28, 2009, 10:19:25 AM »
GB, that boot key holder is a wonderful keepsake. That's a great legacy to have; working leather as long as you have, and knowing you made something that your dad valued. I lost both parents in 2005, six weeks apart. They missed their 60th anniversary by just a few months. A guy could not have had better parents than I did, whcih is a real gift. Thanks for sharing your story. JD
The man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.

Offline Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Live To Fight Another Day
  • Liked:
« Reply #104 on: October 28, 2009, 10:30:15 AM »
 Howdy GB

I think your Dad must have treasured that  little boot key chain, when my Dad passed away, My Mom found things that I had made for him, he had them in a special box with other things he valued. Thanks for sharing this with us GB.

Regards

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #105 on: October 28, 2009, 10:35:37 AM »
Howdy Johnny McCrae

That was a great story Pard, I never thought about that being old Gus's last name, you couldn't have picked a better handle to put yourself under, and your story was interesting too, You should try writing a book, LOL, I think you would do well at it.

Regards

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Offline Ace Lungger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Just taking one day at a time!
  • Liked:
« Reply #106 on: October 28, 2009, 05:51:44 PM »
Howdt Pards,
 I like Johnny idea! Mine is a little more complex than Johnny' Im going to have to tell you all about myself, for this to ad up. I was born in the year 1955, I am a born and raised farm boy, As soon as I was big enough I strated helping my father do the farming, along with raising cattle. All threw my school years i made the best effort I could to play sports. I was just not very good at any sport, but since I liked them all, i went out for all of them. I found out early in life, that no matter how hard I tried at sports, i just wasn't good enough to be a starter, except for Little Leauge Baseball, and the only reason i got to be a starter was because I was the caughter, and no one realy wanted that position! On my 11th birthday I got a 22 single shot rifle. It was 1966 and I think the gun was $49.95, that was a lot of money in those days, gas was 17 cents a gallon, smokes were 25 cents, and a 16oz glass bottle of Pepsi was 10 cents!! I am sure that other kids got a allowance but I never did! I did odd jobs on the farm for our neibors and made my spending money that away! I don't know how long my dad had boot leged wild rabbits down to New Orleans, but him and one of the neibors bought rabbits in Nov. & Dec. and they would take them to New Orleans for Madi graw!
I got paid $1.50 per rabbit, but they had to be head shot, anywere else and it was 50 cents, so I made sure that my shots were right on, lot of money deference between 50 cents and a $1.50!!! After that first year of rabbit hunting, I realized that I had found one thing I was good at, that was shooting a gun! Didn't matter, rifle or shotgun I was a natural shot. Now when it came to shooting a pistol, that was a difference story!! Took a lot of hard work over the next 10 years to be half decent with a hand gun.
 Now we can get to my cowboy name. I can't tell you why, but I allways liked Doc Holliday!! I figure he was a under dog, he lost his mother at 14, and around that time he came down with the same diasese as his mother, TB. Doc was a very well educated man, he also was a Dentist, but because of the TB, most people didn't want to be around a (Lungger) that was what people were called when they have TB.So Doc became a professional gambler and gun slinger, somethings just go toghter, one of those Pro-Quoate things! Although Doc was acussed of being a murderer and crook, that was never proven!! And I believe he wasn't, I don't believe that Wyatt Earp would of been a good friend to Doc if that were the case!
 Being the type of person I am, and my life's history, I feel as if I would of made a decent sidekick for Doc Holliday. To no a vail, I could not use the name Doc Holliday, for if I would of use the name Doc Holliday, in my option that would be bragging!! And I don't need that complication in my life!! So I took the Ace from the deck of cards and the Lungger because of the TB.
Later
ACE
I'll Be Your Huckleberry! :)
member of the Cas City Leather family!
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

Offline Gun Butcher

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #107 on: October 28, 2009, 09:16:02 PM »
  I get the feeling that their is a lot of the storyteller in all the pards on this forum. Keep them coming I am enjoying every one of them.
Lost..... I ain't never been lost...... fearsome confused fer a month er two once... but I never been lost.
Life is a Journey, the best that we can find in our travels is an honest friend.

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #108 on: October 29, 2009, 12:23:07 PM »
Howdy Gents

My handle of tEN wOLVES fIVE sHOOTER came by accident, I was known as The Handgunner since back in the 70's, so I pick that as my SASS name, but I was told the that the name was already being used, and I should pick a few others, so I did, only to find out they were being used too , so I needed to do some thinking, my wife has some Comanche Indian in her heritage, and I have always loved Wolves, and had a high bred wolf as a pet, and I shoot two six guns, but only load 5 rounds in each one, so this a fiction Avatar.

The story goes, there was a fierce fighting man, that was married to a beautiful Comanche maiden, he lived with the tribe for several years, learning there ways, this was in the years of 1874 through 1883, waring tribes would some times attack the tribe from time to time, and this fighting man would defend his people by killing more of the enemy warriors than any of the other warriors, after the first fight, the Comanche Chief chose a name for him, it was tEN wOLVES  because he fought like ten wolves, and the the rest was Five Shooter, because he knew how to use his guns so well, and his guns shot only 5 rounds each. so he became known as
" tEN wOLVES fIVE sHOOTER "
  As time went by he became a spokesman for the Comanche people, and also worked as a scout for the Army at times, he worked as a Deputy then Marshal, in some of the rougher cow towns, he was known for his quick wit and fast guns, and was able to tame most rowdy towns without having to shoot or kill anyone, because of his reputation, he then went on to be a US Marshal, and finished out his years in Idaho.

This is all BS, but it is fun  ::) :o ;) ;D

Regards

Offline Johnny McCrae

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Johnny McCrae
  • Liked:
« Reply #109 on: October 29, 2009, 01:39:12 PM »
Howdy Ten Wolves,

That's quite an interesting story. Many thanks for sharing it with us.

Old McCrae says he remembers having a drink with you at a saloon in Cheyenne back in 1891.
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #110 on: October 29, 2009, 08:51:45 PM »
Doggone, pards! I get scarce for a day and you come up with all this great reading. Nice stories. My alias was just a stab at something more interesting. My first alias was The Bar-36 Kid (my brand is the Bar-36). I really didn't like "The" for a first name so I tried a couple others over the course of a couple years. Totally unexciting stuff: Ringo Rob and Buckhorn Bob. I appreciated catchy ones like Fillmore Coffins, Rev Barry M. Deep, and others with some character like that. People always said I look like a lawman when dressed in my duds. Finally one day, I decided on Marshal Will Wingam. It brings a chuckle at places where I haven't shot before so it must be the right one. The era I like to portray is right after the beginning of the cartridge era, 1875-1880, when there was a lot of Westward expansion. Those moving West were picking up cartridge conversions rather than more expensive factory cartridge guns. I try to dress accordingly and my equipment is in keeping, too. I don't really have a story behind it but I'm looking at developing one eventually. There isn't an NCOWS club within any reasonable distance so I don't need anything yet. Maybe some day someone will start one around here and I'll get to conjuring.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Offline Slowhand Bob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #111 on: October 30, 2009, 10:11:59 AM »
Guys, i received a gift in the mail from JD today and just want everyone to realize how generous he is.  And talk about jealous, the wife is absolutely convinced that JD stands fer Jezebel Delilah!  Thanks Jeff and I am sure you know how much I will enjoy this.  Robby

PS; Sorry if this is the wrong place but wanted to say thank you publicly to a generous person on this site.    

Offline JD Alan

• Pistol Packin Parson
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #112 on: October 30, 2009, 07:53:32 PM »
I'm glad you got it Bob, but you really need to share! After all the help you've given me, and the stuff you've sent, it's the least I could do. Johnny McCrae is next on the list.

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #113 on: October 30, 2009, 11:46:56 PM »
This is definitely the right place, Bob. It's good to let people know when someone does a good turn for another. I like hearing about decent pards.

Offline Ace Lungger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Just taking one day at a time!
  • Liked:
« Reply #114 on: October 31, 2009, 10:34:11 AM »
Howdy Fellars  :)
 I can say for a fact, that i have never meet a more giving bunch of pards in my life that are on here. You pards are the very best of the best in my book!!!!! :) :) :) :) I only hope that someday in the near further that i can start repaying those of you that have gave to me!! I have a ton of things that I want to get done and sent to some very special pards on here!! Maybe, after the 12th of this month I will be getting my feet back on the ground?!
 It most likely will take a year or so, there has been so many pards on here that have helped me out, that I don't know if I will ever get all the pay backs done!! i have never been on another forum with nicer people than there is on here!!
From the bottom of my heart, I want to thank each and every one of you, for the friendship and the things that I have been given!
God Bless you ALL!
ACE
member of the Cas City Leather family!
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

Offline JD Alan

• Pistol Packin Parson
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #115 on: November 01, 2009, 08:12:35 AM »
There are lots of generous Pards on this Forum. Two that have been particularly generous to me have been Slowhand Bob and Johnny McCrae. All I’m doing is reciprocating. Both of these guys have gone out of their way to send me stuff and to help me along the way. They are both great Pards to ride the river with, and I want to show my appreciation for what they’ve done.   

Actually, there is a third in WC. Going to his shop was a real treat. He took a lot of time showing me around the place, and explaining how he did things. Getting to examine his work close up was awesome, and I was blessed to be there.

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #116 on: November 01, 2009, 11:13:36 AM »
JD, I know just how you feel pard, The Leather Shop is Blessed with a bunch of generous people that aren't afraid to share their extras, and information, this has helped us all to be better at what we do, and will help keep leather crafting strong in the future.

So to all those that have gone out of there way to help others, a BIG THANK YOU  from myself, I know it's appreciated by all.

Regards

tEN wOLVES  ;) ;D

Howdy Marshal Will, I see you went through the same thing I did when choosing a handle, my problem was everything I picked was already taken, I think your choice of name suits you well, when you figure all the pards out there, and most wanting a name of there favorite Cowboy figure, it's easy to see way so many picked the same name, even when you're not trying, anyway I'm set in my handle and I'm sure you are too, and I'm glad the picking and choosing is over, at least for me.

Regards

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #117 on: November 01, 2009, 10:07:24 PM »
TW, some of us hit a good one right off. Others need to do it the hard way. Had a friend of mine join SASS. His first name is Grant and my wife suggested Gov. Grant A. Pardon. He took it. ;D

Well, we had an interesting time driving thought the Bay Area. Burned off a couple thousand miles of tires avoiding a guy on the freeway. He dodged into my lane to avoid an accident that was already over and laid on the brakes in front of me. The lane was clear but, noooo, he cured that. Why people don't use the gas to move out of a situation rather than the brake, I'll never know. It was close. A clear lane and this guy makes sure it isn't safe. I got within about 10 feet before he got out of the way. I thought I was going to take him out. I couldn't change lanes without hitting the guy on my left and the lane on the right had a couple cars backwards at a standstill. Lots of other hazards in the other lanes so I was basically looking at getting very personal with this guy. It's amazing how well the car handled with the tires squealing and putting up a cloud of smoke. I was able to keep it going where I wanted. Well, considering the options, that is. ::)

Offline Arizona Cattleman

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #118 on: November 01, 2009, 10:17:37 PM »
Halloween Laugh!!!!! :D ;D :D ;D :D ;D

AZ Cattleman
SASS Member #86387
NRA Member
USCCA Member

Offline Johnny McCrae

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Johnny McCrae
  • Liked:
« Reply #119 on: November 02, 2009, 05:01:34 AM »
Howdy Marshall,

Sounds like you had some very anxious moments on the freeway. We are all very happy and thankful that you made it through this without getting hurt.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com