Author Topic: top break pocket pistols  (Read 5965 times)

Offline REELFOOT REGULATOR

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
top break pocket pistols
« on: November 04, 2004, 10:15:10 AM »
Got a couple of pocket pistols that shear lead, i guess they need some timing work done. Anyone know a smith that can work on these guns?
                                                                   Thanks Reelfoot Regulator
NRA
SASS
IDPA
SMOKEY BOTTOM GUN CLUB
WEST TN LONGRIDERS(HOME OF THE FARRINGTON BROS GANG)
COLLECTOR & SHOOTER OF MILSURPS

Offline Hemlock Mike

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: top break pocket pistols
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2004, 04:49:32 PM »
Realfoot --

Typically, these guns are of such low value and quality that most gunsmiths won't even touch them.  Timing problem is usually a worn hand or worn out extractor part of the cylinder. 
You can find some new parts needing fitting from Gun Parts Corp but getting one back together is a trick. 

How heavy a load are you shooting ??  Many shear lead even when in good condition.

Mike

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2004, 10:07:32 PM »
I'd written a post on selecting "real" pocket pistols awhile back.

It describes what to be looking for and what will be the better shooter.

One of the very first and best things that you can do to one is to clean it thoroughly and then see how it indexes.
In many cases - the build-up of grit, oil and powder fouling is profound and a good cleaning will work wonders with timing, extraction and ignition.

Spare parts for these little guns are inside the guns of other people, so replacement parts can be a problem, though Gunpartsco and Dixie have some odd things - as do other suppliers.

If you're going to get involved in doing your own repair - remember that slave pins are going to become your friend, and proceed slowly.

Good Luck.

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:11:49 AM »

Offline Sergeant Smokepole

• Dark Lord of The Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2004, 06:27:20 PM »
Realfoot --

Typically, these guns are of such low value and quality that most gunsmiths won't even touch them.  Timing problem is usually a worn hand or worn out extractor part of the cylinder. 
You can find some new parts needing fitting from Gun Parts Corp but getting one back together is a trick. 

How heavy a load are you shooting ??  Many shear lead even when in good condition.

Mike

Mike,
This might be true with the Iver Johnson or H&R, along with various store brands, but a Smith and Wesson manufactured revolver carries a fair amount of value.

Offline Hemlock Mike

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2004, 09:16:12 PM »
SS --

You're right there but I usually can't afford a good S&W !!!! I've fixed a few of the old IJ's and HA's but it's a labor of love and really not worth the $ to pay a smith.   

OH, for a good old S&W .......

Mike

Offline Micheal Fortune

• Top Active Citizen
    • Micheal Fortune
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2004, 02:39:47 PM »
So you know,

Had a Iver Johnson Model 3 auto safety hammerless and needed parts, little spring, Jack First is the place to call,

http://www.jackfirstgun.com/index.html

This is their web site, can't order or search online, call the parts number, have your Visa handy!  Good luck!

Knew what I was talking about, had the part, shipping cost more than the part and it was at my house in 3 days.
Saloon Keeper, Gambler, Shootist
Sun River Rangers Shooting Society / SASS 60159 / R.O.-1 / SBSS 1685 / G.O.F.W.G. 89 / RATS 58 / KGC 4 /

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com