Author Topic: Best Wet Tumbling Recipe for BP Cases  (Read 3360 times)

Offline Froogal

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3882
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 584
Re: Best Wet Tumbling Recipe for BP Cases
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2023, 11:44:23 AM »
I guess I don't care how shiny my brass is as long as it is clean. I put the black powder brass in a solution of hot water and Dawn dish soap for maybe 20 minutes. Swish it around a couple of times, and then thoroughly rinse. Spread them out to dry for a day or two, and then dry tumble in walnut shell media. Good enough for me.

Offline DeaconKC

• Retired Predator Hunter
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 110215
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4862
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2023, 11:50:15 AM »
I started out using the SS pins but Yul Lose over on Sassnet suggested trying it without them. I use Armorall carwash and a bit of Stratosheen and water. They are not bright polished shiny, but clean and it works well.
SASS DeaconKC
The Deacon AZSA
BOLD 1088
RATS 739
STORM 448
Driver for Howard, Fine & Howard
Veterinary & Taxidermy Clinic
"Either way, you get your dog back"

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1204
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2023, 12:14:35 PM »
I guess I don't care how shiny my brass is as long as it is clean. I put the black powder brass in a solution of hot water and Dawn dish soap for maybe 20 minutes. Swish it around a couple of times, and then thoroughly rinse. Spread them out to dry for a day or two, and then dry tumble in walnut shell media. Good enough for me.
My method for BP brass is similar with a few minor differences.  Brass stays in the soapy water a little longer, as long as it takes to drive home (1 to 2 hours).  In the last couple years I found that if I put my hand into the water and rub/wipe/massage the brass with my fingers, it comes out much cleaner than if I don't, and takes less time to get shiny.  I've tumbled with both walnut and corncob and these days use a mixture.  If I put a little brass polish in the media beforehand, letting it run for about 5 minutes before adding brass, and then tumble a couple hours, it comes out quite shiny.  I do like shiny brass, just because.  And as I do a lot of brass-picking at matches, the shiny stuff IS easier to spot!  Separating the media is done in a Dillon media separator (the small one - it was given to me when a pard passed away, and I love it), outside and I stand upwind if it is breezy and hold my breath while spinning to avoid breathing dust. I do all this cleaning with spent primers in place and have never had a problem with dirty primer pockets.  Cleaning smokeless brass is same thing, just no pre-soaking. 

People move to wet tumbling for a variety of reasons.  Some want the brass super clean inside as well as outside, some want the clean primer pockets, some are avoiding dry tumbling dust.  I think some is just because people get bored and it is something new to do.  In my case, it ain't broke so I ain't fixing it.  ;D

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 01:34:04 PM »

Offline DeaconKC

• Retired Predator Hunter
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 110215
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4862
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2023, 09:19:12 PM »
Abilene had a good point about the differences between wet and dry tumbling. I used an ancient vibratory dry for decades until it died. The next week at our club's swap meet someone had a Frankford Armory wet tumbler which came home with me. I have been extremely pleased with the difference in not having to deal with the dust.
SASS DeaconKC
The Deacon AZSA
BOLD 1088
RATS 739
STORM 448
Driver for Howard, Fine & Howard
Veterinary & Taxidermy Clinic
"Either way, you get your dog back"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com