Author Topic: Where to get 44-40 ammo  (Read 3458 times)

Offline bear tooth billy

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS Senator
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 53
Re: Where to get 44-40 ammo
« Reply #40 on: July 25, 2023, 11:24:53 AM »
Abilene, when you say they opened for backorders, is that just through them? I have some
on backorder from buffalo arms. I assume since Starline lists them as one of their dealers that
they would supply them????

BTB
Born 110 years too late

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1213
« Reply #41 on: July 25, 2023, 12:50:21 PM »
Abilene, when you say they opened for backorders, is that just through them? I have some
on backorder from buffalo arms. I assume since Starline lists them as one of their dealers that
they would supply them????

BTB
Howdy BTB, yes, when Starline opens for backorders, you have to place the order through them.  I'd imagine Buffalo Arms has standing orders with Starline.  I don't know if you can get on a backorder list with Buffalo Arms or not, but if so, that would be another good thing to do. 

I've heard that brass is available on Gunbroker, etc. for outrageous prices ($1 per ).  I'm thinking those scalpers check Starline daily and when they see it open for backorders, they order the maximum amount allowed.  I don't know what the max is, but I saw on the SASS Wire that at least one pard ordered 2K and got them.  I think a bit of hoarding is happening as well.

In the last few years with all the political crap etc., seems that we see Starline making it every so often, but I haven't seen a single new Winchester (or others) 44-40 brass in forever.  I'd think they would "catch up" on all the popular 9mm and .223 stuff and make some more, but what do I know?  Perhaps military contracts are taking 100% of their capacity??

Offline RoyceP

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #42 on: July 25, 2023, 08:08:59 PM »
I haven't seen a single new Winchester (or others) 44-40 brass in forever. 

I bought four bags of Winchester 44 WCF brass here in Tulsa in 2020. I think maybe the shortage is regional?

Advertising

« Reply #43 on: Today at 11:33:45 PM »

Offline Froogal

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3882
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 584
« Reply #43 on: July 26, 2023, 07:19:01 AM »
Howdy BTB, yes, when Starline opens for backorders, you have to place the order through them.  I'd imagine Buffalo Arms has standing orders with Starline.  I don't know if you can get on a backorder list with Buffalo Arms or not, but if so, that would be another good thing to do. 

I've heard that brass is available on Gunbroker, etc. for outrageous prices ($1 per ).  I'm thinking those scalpers check Starline daily and when they see it open for backorders, they order the maximum amount allowed.  I don't know what the max is, but I saw on the SASS Wire that at least one pard ordered 2K and got them.  I think a bit of hoarding is happening as well.

In the last few years with all the political crap etc., seems that we see Starline making it every so often, but I haven't seen a single new Winchester (or others) 44-40 brass in forever.  I'd think they would "catch up" on all the popular 9mm and .223 stuff and make some more, but what do I know?  Perhaps military contracts are taking 100% of their capacity??

I have noticed many of the on-line sources are discounting and running sales on .223, 9mm, and even .45 ACP, to the point that reloading those calibers is no longer feasible, but the price of primers, powder, etc. is still up there in the stratosphere.

Offline Sedalia Dave

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 99699
  • NCOWS #: 3836
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 176
« Reply #44 on: July 26, 2023, 10:26:30 PM »
If you need brass, you need to check Starline's website at least twice a day. Calibers like 44-40 are usually only available for Backorder for 1 day sometimes even less. Sometimes the window opens, then closes and then reopens again.

I Suggest you partner up with a few other shooters and make a group buy.

During the last back order window, I ordered 2000 cases (the limit) and split them with 2 others that I shoot with.  Keeps all of us shooting.

Offline Mogorilla

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3306
  • GAF #: 883
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 99
« Reply #45 on: July 27, 2023, 12:50:29 PM »
I received an Email from Choice Ammunition, and went to look.   I have bought 45-70 and 44-40 from them in the past.   While I had some ups and downs with the 45-70, it may be more me and the rifle liking blackpowder over smokeless.   Either way, the 44-40 was all top notch.   They do not have any in stock, but they are accepting backorders for 44-40, which is more than most places.   I ordered on backorder previously and did not wait super long.   Just putting it out there.

Offline cwiseman

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #46 on: July 28, 2023, 11:48:12 AM »
I will check out Choice and start haunting Starlines site. Thanks all

Offline Mogorilla

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3306
  • GAF #: 883
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 99
« Reply #47 on: August 04, 2023, 06:28:00 PM »
Well, i pulled the trigger on the choice 44-40 the day i posted.  Just received shipping notice.   Wahoo!

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1213
« Reply #48 on: September 03, 2023, 03:34:31 PM »
This ad has been up for 2 hours with no takers yet on SASS Wire.  Doubt it will last much longer.  200 used Starline for $85.
https://forums.sassnet.com/index.php?/topic/353120-fs-200-plus-starline-44-40-cases-previously-fired-deprimed-cleaned-ready-to-reload/

edit to add: it lasted 4 hours before somebody bought it.  Y'all need to check this forum more often!  :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com